Canidae

I just had Jaime get me a bag of Canidae food for Jack and Chloe. I just read the ingredients and it have chicken meal...lamb meal....is that alright????? The food I've been feeding them is made with fresh chicken. Did she get me the wrong thing??:confused:

sam

I'll probbaly explain this wrong but "meal" simply refers to it being weighed when it's in a dehydrated state, therefore it's actually higher level of protein for the same amount. It's not a lesser quality or by product. It's nice to have chicken meal and chicken. I'm crappy at explaining- if you want to understabnd it better check out www.dogfoodproject.com loads of good info on how to read labels and judge the quality of dog food as well as info on specific brands etc

Herschel

Straight from the source:

http://www.canidae.com/ingredients/meatvmeal.html

Canidae said:
What does the real difference mean to your pets and you?

Meat
[Chicken & Lamb are 70% water and only 15% protein]
Pet food labels found in grocery and mass marketers like to use Chicken or Lamb to represent real meat. –(Containing 70% moisture). This leads you the consumer to believe that their product is meat based. Chicken or lamb meats are heavier than grains prior to cooking. The moisture contained in the meats (70%) is reduced by 2/3rds after the cooking process, leaving the total formula as a grain base food after processing.

vs.

Meal
[Chicken Meal and Lamb Meal are dry and 50% to 65% protein] meat protein!
Canidae Pet foods list Chicken Meal & Turkey meal as the first ingredients. Chicken, Turkey and Lamb meals are dry and are less than 10% moisture and contain 50% - 65% meat proteins. In processing the meat meals do not shrink below the grain weight, producing a true meat based formula for your carnivores.

AAFCO label rules require that, the heaviest to the lightest ingredients be the order on the guaranteed analysis panel, (with or without water content).

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks Hershel for that information...it really helped. It seems to be a very good food. I was just worried about feeding the All Life Stages kind because Jack and Chloe have both been trying to lose weight.

Is it best to follow the instructions on the back of the bag as far as how much to feed each day??

Rosefern

Flicka and Pepe are on Canidae, and Lillian is on Felidae...I rotate between All Life Stages, Lamb and Rice, and Chicken and Rice - I change every month. This month we're on Lamb and Rice. My other two fosters, Thor and Philly, are on whatever the fosters are eating.

My other foster, Molly, is a little bit of a chunky monkey, so she's on Canidae Platinum (for Seniors and Overweight)...you could try feeding that for Chloe and Jack?

As for the instructions on the back...I'd start with that...and if it seems like too much or not enough, or if you're just not sure, ask your vet. All of my dogs go with the feeding guidelines.

-Rosefern

Herschel

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks Hershel for that information...it really helped. It seems to be a very good food. I was just worried about feeding the All Life Stages kind because Jack and Chloe have both been trying to lose weight.

Is it best to follow the instructions on the back of the bag as far as how much to feed each day??
I think Canidae overestimates. (The more you use, the more you buy)

They recommend that we feed Herschel 1 cup/day. He is incredibly active but he only eats 2/3 cup per day.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Same... the Canidae bag says we should be feeding Auggie 3/4-1 cup a day, and we were doing 3/4. That's too much, and Auggie is an active little booger.

I think they REALLY overestimate... try feeding closer to the ratios suggested in the "light/senior" column and see what that does for you.

That's what I've been feeding them (the food they've been on). The senior formula. That's the food they've lost weight one. I'm still finishing up that bag and am almost ready to start them on Canidae. I will cut their portions back from what the bad recommends.:) Thanks!
Flicka and Pepe are on Canidae, and Lillian is on Felidae...I rotate between All Life Stages, Lamb and Rice, and Chicken and Rice - I change every month. This month we're on Lamb and Rice. My other two fosters, Thor and Philly, are on whatever the fosters are eating.

My other foster, Molly, is a little bit of a chunky monkey, so she's on Canidae Platinum (for Seniors and Overweight)...you could try feeding that for Chloe and Jack?

As for the instructions on the back...I'd start with that...and if it seems like too much or not enough, or if you're just not sure, ask your vet. All of my dogs go with the feeding guidelines.

-Rosefern

Members online

No members online now.