Just Hit a Kitty...

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I certainly think outdoor cats in the suburbs are a bad idea. And that the owner should pay for the damage if one is hit by the car.

But doing everything to find the owner . . .one, that's just decent. Two, the cat might NOT have been an outdoor cat . . .it might have been a indoor cat that got out by accident. So blaming the owner in the way some people here are . . . yes, it should be the owner's legal responsibility to pay for damage, but that doesn't mean that they intentionally let their animals run loose . . . or even that they are habitually careless.

Accidents DO happen. I would never, ever let my dogs run loose, yet Sarama was struck on the road (she's fine, thank God) because Mike and I were stupid from exhaustion. I live in terror of one of the dogs or one of the cats getting out and getting hit, and Firdaus (cat) doesn't wear a collar any more because it causes skins problems (she is chipped). And it isn't always even the owner's fault . . . a friend or neighbor with key, or a workman or maid could accidentally let the animals out. These things happen.

I hope that if, God forbid, one of the animals gets out and gets hit, that the person who hit them would try to find me, or would at least leave the body where it could be seen and call animal control. Nothing is worse than not knowing what happened, and wondering if they are out there, starving or hurt . . .

Miakoda

((((hugs)))) I've hit a kitty before. :( I did the same as you did - left it at the side of the road (had no tags) and called the shelter to tell them where the kitty could be found.

So how is one supposed to restrain their cat? It's not like you can leash them to take them outside. They're cats. Our old cat (she got hit by a car as well) came and went as she pleased. Though she was always close when it was feeding time. :p I would never keep a cat indoors. (Unless for medical reasons ect.) Cat's don't cause a havoc just because they are outdoor cats.
I've hit a few wild animals (we live in the woods) that just darted across the road - that doesn't make them a nuisance....

Says who? You most certainly can buy a harness and put kitty on a tie-out for outside time.

While you ave no problems with her coming and going as she pleased, others, who had the pleasure of her using their doorsteps as her litterbox, and their cars as her scratching post, and killing the bird-lover's birds right in the front yard...well, I can bet those people weren't so please.

Outdoor cats, feral cats specifically, are extremely desctructive to the ecosystem. In addition, they carry diseases (notably FeLUK, FIV, and FIP...diseases that not every cat owner even bothers to vaccinate against), transmit fleas and parasites, cause damage to others' property, and even pose a danger to humans (FYI: cats DO bite!).

Xandra

I certainly think outdoor cats in the suburbs are a bad idea. And that the owner should pay for the damage if one is hit by the car.

But doing everything to find the owner . . .one, that's just decent. Two, the cat might NOT have been an outdoor cat . . .it might have been a indoor cat that got out by accident. So blaming the owner in the way some people here are . . . yes, it should be the owner's legal responsibility to pay for damage, but that doesn't mean that they intentionally let their animals run loose . . . or even that they are habitually careless.

Accidents DO happen. I would never, ever let my dogs run loose, yet Sarama was struck on the road (she's fine, thank God) because Mike and I were stupid from exhaustion. I live in terror of one of the dogs or one of the cats getting out and getting hit, and Firdaus (cat) doesn't wear a collar any more because it causes skins problems (she is chipped). And it isn't always even the owner's fault . . . a friend or neighbor with key, or a workman or maid could accidentally let the animals out. These things happen.

I hope that if, God forbid, one of the animals gets out and gets hit, that the person who hit them would try to find me, or would at least leave the body where it could be seen and call animal control. Nothing is worse than not knowing what happened, and wondering if they are out there, starving or hurt . . .
Well said. And I'll add that even if you don't care about the owner's peace of mind, seeing runover cat is probably more effective discouraging them from letting subsequent cats outside.

Re: outdoor cats... I get that some people have a big problem with them but for instance, my last cat was never more than a few seconds away (I could always call him) and I never once saw him across the street in years of owning him.

We had one neighbor whose property the cat would've trespassed upon and we knew that neighbor and he had no problem with the cat.

As far as wreaking havoc on ecosystems... there isn't much of an ecosystem here, 95% of birds we see are exotic or abundant (populations stable or increasing). Not that he was a hunter at all.

Cat runs and being leashed are not nearly the same thing as being loose.

Members online

No members online now.