Roxie, Maggie and Adreneline save Brutie

filarotten

Fila the love
Brutus fell in my pool.
I let him out to go pottie, a few minutes later I hear whining. Roxie is at the breakfast room window whining and Maggie is at the back door whining. I opened the door and the girls almost knocked me over trying to get. Usually, Brutie would come running, but he didn't. I kept hearing this loud moan. But, I couldn't figure out what it was. I checked around the front, no Brutie. Walked back by the back door and noticed the girls by the pool. There was poor Brutie hanging on the side of the pool. I ran, all I could think of I've got to either pull this big dog out or jump in. Somehow, the adreneline kicked in and I managed to lift the dog half way out of the pool. I got him in the house, dried him off and then I burst into tears. I am still shaking. I don't know what he was doing at the pool. He usually stays away from it. It is 57 here today. I just hope he doesn't get pneumonia.
BTW I did give each of them a nice big rib bone.

Amstaffer

filarotten said:
It is 57 here today. I just hope he doesn't get pneumonia.
BTW I did give each of them a nice big rib bone.

Wow, I am sure glad that everything turned out all right. I bet he'll be fine, 57 degrees is nothing for a dog even wet. I am amazed at dogs who come out of ice water in winter and are just fine. How long do you think he was in the water?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Glad you got him out! It's hard hauling a dog out of water, even one Sawyer's size...I can't imagine doing it to a dog like Brutus! :eek:

Way to go Maggie and Roxie!

Maybe you should look into some doggie steps for the pool? or some sort of device they could climb out on?

filarotten

Fila the love
I don't know, a few minutes. I'm not sure. I am just thankful for the girls. I didn't hear the loud moaning very long... but still, he had to be scared to death. Poor baby.
I'm not sure what he was doing at the pool He usually stays away from it. I'm debating if I want to teach him where the stairs are or not. I honestly think that is going to keep him leary of it for a long time. I know I will be watching again.
The strange thing. He didn't seem heavy at all. I lifted that dog straight up and pulled him half way on the concrete. And just kept pulling. Amazing what adreneline can do for a person. Now I feel rather weak, and a few muscles are letting me know they worked out today.lol

bubbatd

You all saved him !!! As far as the cold... I never understood how my Goldens could go into the creek when it was freezing over, come out and get covered with ice and still not shiver !!

filarotten

Fila the love
You know, I don't know if it was because of his size, or because he is pretty sensible, but he managed to be hanging onto the railing. Bless his heart. I know Roxie panicked the time she fell in. She started chopping at the water and would have drown had we not been right there. And she loves to swim. She has never gone in since. He is asleep on the floor with a blanket covering him. He wasn't shaking when he got out, he just seemed very thankful. I was the one that started shaking. Not from the cold. Just nerves and fear...

Poor Brutie . . . and he really should be a good swimmer! I guess this summer Brutie will be getting swimming lessons and learning where the steps are ;)

Now, have a glass of your favorite beverage and chill out for the evening - you've earned it; that's a lot of puppy to pull out of the pool!

Saje

Island dweller
Scary! I bet he's learned a lesson about the pool. Glad everything worked out. Hopefully he won't be to traumatized!

Amstaffer

bubbatd said:
You all saved him !!! As far as the cold... I never understood how my Goldens could go into the creek when it was freezing over, come out and get covered with ice and still not shiver !!
Sal followed a Lab into some icey water at the dog park when he was about 6 months old (mid Jan. in a small river) much to my panic but he came bouncing out and was fine....If I did that I would shiver to death, dogs are sooooo much tougher than humans.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Wow you are so lucky to have such great dogs :D

I had a dog drown in our pool when I was a child. We had fencing around the pool but somehow they got in and chelsea fell in and the cover was on. we looked everywhere for her and Tina (both min schnauzers) kept going near the pool and whining and thats where we found her :(

I am so glad brutus was OK

filarotten

Fila the love
You know what? Brutie may have been swimming. Keith found a plastic bag floating on the water. Brutie may have went in after it, then couldn't find his way out. He does love to swim in the pond. I only know, it is back to watching him until there is no more doubt in my mind.
Brutie did cough once, a few hours ago. He seems fine now, back to his normal self.
My back muscles are really feeling it now. lol So, it is time to enjoy that glass of wine Renee.:)

filarotten

Fila the love
Oh Sparks, how awful for you. That is the one bad thing about having an in-ground pool You always have that chance. It has always been very important to us to teach the dogs to stay away from the pool. I thought we had Brutie to that point, but I was wrong. Luckily, most of us don't cover our pools here. I shudder to think what might have happend had it been covered.

Irish

I'm so glad he's okay! I think you displayed super-human strength to save your beloved!

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well I am sure he is enjoying being babied and pampered :D We are glad he is OK except for maybe a few scares.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so glad he's okay. Way to go mom to the rescue, as well as your helpers that alarmed you to the situation.

filarotten

Fila the love
The muscles will be fine. Brutus is fine also. He seems to be staying far away from the pool. Glad, very glad.

Members online