What genre of books do you read?

yoko

Our local bookstore had a fifty cents sale and I kind of went crazy. I think I'll post some books here for a free cycle post but wanted to see what people actually read. I have an odd taste in books lol so checking to see if anyone might even like what I have

Fantasy mainly. Some supernatural if it's done well but I've not found a ton of those I really like. Some Science Fiction. I'm also a big fan of Post holocaust and dystopian storylines.

I also almost elusively read books with a female main character. Just one of my preferences.

CaliTerp07

I'm reading a ton of young adult fiction lately, because I want to have something to talk to my students about (and suggest they read, if they claim they "don't like reading")

I'm all over the place, but my favorite is fantasy. I don't seem to read the same ones as most though. Patricia McKillip and Patricia Kennealy Morrison are two of my favorite authors, and I veer toward authors with Celt sounding names (natural storytellers, lol!) and Celt-based fantasy.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I read all sorts of different stuff... It depends on what I am in the mood for and what catches my interest.

The only genre I really do not read is romance...

Maxy24

Fantasy and science fiction mostly. I especially like dystopias (though oddly not some of the more famous ones, I don't like old books a lot of the time). I tend to like male main characters, but to be honest I can't think of one I've read with a female main character of the top of my head.

milos_mommy

I'm always really really surprised by how many on here are into fantasy/sci fi books - I had no idea they were so popular and don't know many IRL who read them.

I read all genres, but mostly all classics or modern books with really high reviews. I'm kind of a book snob, if I consider it "fluffy" I feel like it's a waste of time and I'd rather watch a movie. The lightest reading I've ever done is Jodie Picoult, and I wouldn't read anything by her by choice anymore.

I read a lot of plays, Shakespeare, Sartre, Albee, lots of post-modern (Pynchon, Vonnegut, Nabakov), A TON of Russian stuff (Dostoevsky, Tolstoy) - that's my favorite genre. Then other stuff like Love In The Time of Cholera, Moby Dick, Ragtime, The Poisonwood Bible, 10,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Candide, etc.

ETA: dystopian or fantasy/sci-fi has to be like Orwell or Bradbury or something. I also read a ton of children's novels, Bridge To Terabithia, Alice In Wonderland, Pinocchio, The Giver, etc.

yoko

I'm a horror, mystery, sci fi, fantasy girl myself lol.

I'll try and get some books up this weekend

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
- Scifi
- Fantasy
- Young adult (lol stand together! WE ARE NOT ASHAMED ADULT YOUR ADULT NOVEL READERS!)
- Classic/Modern/Historial/Fiction/Non Fiction
etc..etc..etc..
- Even romance but I mean..real romance. As in, there is a STORY LINE beyond two people falling in love please. No Sparks. EVER.

Favorite authors: Rowling, Paluahniuk, Snicket, Pullman, John Green, hunter s. thompson, Vonnegut, Collins

Basically anything except horror.
If I get scared by a book I end up sleeping with a nightlight and hiding the book in the freezer :rofl1:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Urban Fantasy, FTW. :D
Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Kim Harrison, Steve Erickson, Karen Chance, Terry Brooks, Luarell K. Hamilton...all brilliant.

Current re-re-re-re reading the Dresden Files.

SoCrafty

I read a lot of chick lit (which is different from romance/harlequin novels). I like British authors like Sophie Kinsella and Harriet Evans. I just got a Kindle and I'm having a hard time finding new books to read lol.

Doberluv

I love murder mysteries when they're good ones by good authors and other kinds of mysteries, adventure, or espionage type stories, those page turners that you can't put down. I love many of the old classics. Non fiction includes books about dogs, how to stuff, although that's mostly on the Internet, not books for me. Gardening/landscaping is something I'm often looking at, bird books so I can identify birds around me, stuff like that.

elegy

overdogged
Lots of YA stuff here, too. Mostly dystopian or fantasy.
Fantasy and Sci-fi
And quite a bit of non-fiction as well (science/nature stuff usually, but sometimes history or sociology, lots of hiking memoirs at the moment)

Red.Apricot

Non-fiction (biology, mostly; and mostly evolution stuff at that, although that's having to change because of the focus of my new program--and yes, I am talking about what I read for fun, lol)
Sci-fi
Horror
Fantasy

Big mix, really. I don't read much romance.

Members online