Do you rent?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Most places here have a two pet limit. The complex Mike lives in doesn't care, which is why he can have the three little ones. Someone else has three dogs, too - a Dobe, a Coonhound, and a GSD mix. We could have four dogs out here and the landlord wouldn't care, as long as they aren't loud and are being picked up after. By, the lady that owns the complex isn't with a company, these are just her private buildings.

If we rent with four dogs, we'll have to find a private rental, not go through a company.

yoko

Most places here have a two pet limit. The complex Mike lives in doesn't care, which is why he can have the three little ones. Someone else has three dogs, too - a Dobe, a Coonhound, and a GSD mix. We could have four dogs out here and the landlord wouldn't care, as long as they aren't loud and are being picked up after. By, the lady that owns the complex isn't with a company, these are just her private buildings.

If we rent with four dogs, we'll have to find a private rental, not go through a company.
Private rents have a bad rap around here but they really do end up being easier than through big companies or apartments and most of the time you have a say about a lot of the stuff that goes into the contract. Also most of the ones I've talked to have utilities included.

Doberluv

Yep, I've rented for the past 12 years, and I really prefer large apartment complexes. Here in Ontario, landlords can't legally stop you from having pets, and I like the anonymity of living large buildings. No one cared when I added another dog, and I've seen all sorts of breeds here, including Dobes and Rotties.
You mean the owner of a home doesn't have the right to choose to not allow pets in his own home?:eek: A home he paid for, pays property taxes on, maintains? There are a lot of people whose pets pee and poop in the house, who chew wood work and rip up vinyl flooring, deposit fleas all over etc....and the home owner HAS to let his place be ruined by pets? Wow, just wow. I know...when I was a landlord, I didn't allow pets. I had seen too much damage to rentals by irresponsible pet owners. Of course, not every pet owner is like that. But I can't believe the owner of the home can't make that decision themselves. Wow.

Barbara!

You mean the owner of a home doesn't have the right to choose to not allow pets in his own home?:eek: A home he paid for, pays property taxes on, maintains? There are a lot of people whose pets pee and poop in the house, who chew wood work and rip up vinyl flooring, deposit fleas all over etc....and the home owner HAS to let his place be ruined by pets? Wow, just wow. I know...when I was a landlord, I didn't allow pets. I had seen too much damage to rentals by irresponsible pet owners. Of course, not every pet owner is like that. But I can't believe the owner of the home can't make that decision themselves. Wow.
This is what I thought when I read that, too. Lol!

shazbot

not so newby
We rent with 4 dogs, one them is 4 month old puppy. We haven't had a whole lot of problems finding a place. The places that tend to be ok with more dogs are usually further away from the city. I have all sorts of references for my dogs though, from old landlords, friends and vets. I also give them an option of coming in around 6 months later to see that there isn't any damage.

Panzerotti

Yep. I guess it comes down to being very picky and choosing the right tenants, but I know of people who lie and say they have no pets, move in, and it's a long process if the landlord wants to evict them. I would personally never ever be a landlord here for that reason. I've had friends with horrible tenants living in their basements that they had hard times getting out. Personally, I've always been upfront about my pets, I wouldn't want to start a tenancy on the wrong foot like that.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
If your pet is being a nuisance/damaging property they can kick you out. They cannot kick you out just because you have a pet.

ETA: They can put "no pets" in the lease, which will keep many away because they just don't know their rights here, but as soon as that lease is signed, the "no pets" clause is not legal, and if there's a pet in the house, as long as it's not damaging property or causing problems, you can't do anything.

FG167

I rented in MI with four dogs in two different houses and now we are renting in TN. It's a hassle but I am usually very honest with how much work is put into my dogs and generally that convinces people. Plus, I am comfortable with having any of my dogs met if need be as well.

Panzerotti

If your pet is being a nuisance/damaging property they can kick you out. They cannot kick you out just because you have a pet.
But kicking people out even with just cause can be a long drawn out process. Landlords have to prove that the animal is a nuisance and go through the Landlord Tenant Board, with possible hearings, etc. I can see why many landlords try to avoid having tenants with pets, when bad owners ruin it for everyone.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
But kicking people out even with just cause can be a long drawn out process. Landlords have to prove that the animal is a nuisance and go through the Landlord Tenant Board, with possible hearings, etc. I can see why many landlords try to avoid having tenants with pets, when bad owners ruin it for everyone.
Well yah... but it's also a long drawn out process to kick a tenant out for any reason ;)

LindaJD

I agree, Wow. I wouldn't like that.

Brattina88

I rent.

I wouldn't say it was necessarily hard to find a place to rent that allowed dogs, but it was with other pets (ferrets). And it was more challenging to stay within my means, too. Most around here seem to have a weight limit or a limit of 2. The landlord I have now is a company and the rules are really easy, cut and dry. I could have another if I asked, but I do not wants ;) I don't think 4 would be a very easy or good choice but thats just my own personal experience

yoko

I rent.

I wouldn't say it was necessarily hard to find a place to rent that allowed dogs, but it was with other pets (ferrets). And it was more challenging to stay within my means, too. Most around here seem to have a weight limit or a limit of 2. The landlord I have now is a company and the rules are really easy, cut and dry. I could have another if I asked, but I do not wants ;) I don't think 4 would be a very easy or good choice but thats just my own personal experience
That sounds crazy to me o_O Around here caged pets don't usually count toward the pet population *with in reason*

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well tanks are just on the lease. I have to notify the landlord of them. I can have tanks so long as they're less than 10 gallons. I had to sign that I wouldn't bring in any mammal/bird/reptile/fish without informing the landlord.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Renting here with pets is hard. I did for awhile but I wasn't supposed to.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
That sounds crazy to me o_O Around here caged pets don't usually count toward the pet population *with in reason*
Not really, i mean you have to take into consideration that that ferrets are exotic animals
From what I hear, its difficult to rent when you're taljing about exotics. Ferrets also don't count as caged animals because they really can't stay in a cage like what people think when they say caged animals.

GipsyQueen

Renting here with pets (dogs/cats rather) is hard. Most Landlords don't allow them, period. Others have limits. We are living in an apartment where we can have pets - but we do have to ask on certian one. Dogs, cats, exotics and reptiles. If I were going to get a guiniapig for example, no one would care. ;)

Members online

No members online now.