This makes me sooo angry.

Romy

Taxiderpy
So, someone THINKS your lost dog MIGHT have killed their toy poodle puppy (which was somehow out in a rural area in the middle of a blizzard?!?) and can't identify from photos which dog she thinks did it....so the sheriff says ALL 6 OF YOUR DOGS will DIE.

:madgo::madgo::madgo::madgo:

The wonderful lady who bred Kaia's grandsire is dealing with this right now. She's hiring a lawyer thank goodness, but what asinine crap to have to deal with! It's so not right, it shouldn't even be an issue. I'm convinced they are targeting her and her dogs because she is a breeder. I desperately hope she wins, she's a pillar in the borzoi community.

UPDATE: Missing Russian Wolfhound Found - News Story - KRDO Colorado Springs

EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. -- A missing show dog was found Sunday at an animal shelter in Castle Rock. The dog escaped Thursday from the home of Nadine Johnson, an El Paso County Borzoi breeder.

The front door of her home, near Hodgen and Roller Coaster roads, was blown open by the wind, and six of her ten dogs ran away. A Borzoi can run more than 30 mph.

Johnson now has all of her dogs safely returned, but she's facing new troubles. The El Paso County Sheriff's Office told Johnson that a woman reported that one of the dogs killed her puppy.

"Pictures were taken of the dogs in her house this morning," said Marianne Hastings, Johnson's daughter.

She said the woman whose puppy was killed looked at the pictures, but could not identify which dog was in her yard. Hastings said that initially her mother was told that if the woman couldn't identify which dog was to blame, all six of the Borzois would be put down.

Hastings said her mother has a $4,000 fine and a summons to appear in court on March 15th. No action will be taken against the dogs before that date.

Johnson told us that she's thrilled all of her dogs are home safely, and that she plans to get a lawyer before commenting on the charges.

Johnson has been breeding dogs for decades and has traveled the world showing her champion Borzois. She said that she's never lost a dog before.

"This is the first time in 30 years that it's happened," said Johnson.

Four dogs were found on Friday, one about 11 miles away from Johnson's home. Another came back on his own. Johnson said the last missing dog, Silver, had been at the Castle Rock Shelter since Friday.

While her dogs have won her many awards, Johnson said the animals mean much more.

"They're family," she said.

She needs to have those dogs ELSEWHERE. Now. Out of jurisdiction, before they are seized.

Sounds to me like someone is looking to make some money on a lawsuit.

Saeleofu

I agree. Those dogs need moved ASAP. Even if they're not going to be seized, you never know what some asshat might do on their own. I hope she wins, too. What a ****ing load of crap, killing ALL the dogs because one MIGHT have killed the puppy. Ughhhhh

Romy

Taxiderpy
Agreed Renee, and I've passed your suggestion on. The entire borzoi community is behind her on this and it wouldn't be hard for her to find safe places for them all until this is resolved.

Xandra

I find it totally outrageous that she is expected to defend herself via the fair/legal/just/peaceful root when she is being subject to such abject tyranny.

The article does say "initially" so I am hoping that killing 5 innocent dogs to get the one "bad" one (not that I think a dog should be PTS for killing another animal the 1st time) wasn't a lawful course of action for them to take, and whoever told her that realized how out of line they were.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I find it totally outrageous that she is expected to defend herself via the fair/legal/just/peaceful root when she is being subject to such abject tyranny.

The article does say "initially" so I am hoping that killing 5 innocent dogs to get the one "bad" one (not that I think a dog should be PTS for killing another animal the 1st time) wasn't a lawful course of action for them to take, and whoever told her that realized how out of line they were.
Definitely. Someone commented on facebook that the local law there is a dog killing another domestic animal, first offense, has to be microchipped and the owner reimbursed the $$ value of the dead animal. That's all.

And they don't even have proof one of her dogs did it. I say if the woman can't identify which dog did it, then it was none of them. Those aren't the only borzois in Colorado, if the culprit was even a borzoi.

I'm curious to see whether there is actually a body. There's no mention of it in the article or video. But the ground is frozen so she couldn't have buried it. Did she take it to a vet? What happened to it?

It probably wouldn't hurt her at all to make a nice donation to the shelter that had Silver and thank them for their "care" . . . nothing like positive press, and it surely won't hurt if she needs someone to attest to her dogs' temperament under stressful circumstances ;)

If she didn't SEE a Borzoi kill her puppy, there's no way to be sure it was one of the Borzois who did it -- if it even happened.

If it did, are there any teeth marks? Do they fit a Borzoi mouth? Or maybe a coyote got there first?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
She said the woman whose puppy was killed looked at the pictures, but could not identify which dog was in her yard. Hastings said that initially her mother was told that if the woman couldn't identify which dog was to blame, all six of the Borzois would be put down.
So, wait a minute....if a witness looks at a lineup of potential suspects and doesn't recognize any of them, all of the suspects are charged? WTF?

This is just so messed up. I hope the dogs and the breeder come out on top of this.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
WTF?? These dogs are hounds. If they killed the puppy in the first place it was prey drive! How the hell do you destroy a dog for killing another dog??? Shouldn't the owner just be slapped with a fine and be told that she must ensure her dogs are kept inside?

I am so sorry this is happening to her!

Members online