Beagles

I'm a bit confused whit the beagles.

In some mags and internet sites says says differnt things about the Temperament.

In some they say they are extremely independent and can't be trained at all.

while others say they can be stubber but can be trained only using snacks.

Others says they are easy to train and not stuburn.

For the exesice some says they need to be active 100% of the times.

Others says exersice like a walk

Others say they need exersice but not too mush or a puppy can have damage in the bones.

Just How mush exersice they need?

I'm confused, whish ones are right? :confused:

First off: I would rather kill myself than ever own a Beagle.

Now with that out of the way:

They are very independent because they are scent hounds. If they smell something they literally cannot focus on anything else, thus your verbal commands they don't hear and they'll do whatever they please. They are SO food driven that it is often a curse as they can have a difficult time focussing when there is food around.

As far as exercise goes, I've found it to be 50/50. Some are super driven, very high energy, others are only energetic when food is involved, and otherwise they sleep.

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Take a good look at the source you get the information from. I'd probably only believe what national breed clubs say about them and breeders recommended by breed clubs.

Along with chazhound members who've had experience with them of course. ;)

But I say this because some BYB or puppymill websites will say anything just to get the pups sold, and a large number of those people don't know anything about the breeds in the first place (nor do they breed correct temperaments).

Cass.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I have had my first beagle for something like six weeks. Yes, she is very food driven. She is also very smart. When I got her she wasn't housebroken (at eleven months) that took about three days, just to get her used to our schedule.

Minnie has developed an excellent recall, even in the face of distractions, and I was told beagles are notorious for not coming when they are called. She still chews stuff in the house and gets into any food she can find a way of reaching.

I don't know about the exersize because she gets as much exersize as our big coonhound, and that is clearly enough. So she gets about three hours a day off leash and a bunch of short walks in between.

She is exceptionally sweet and loving, so that part of the Beagle mystique seems to be true.

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
I have a 5 month old Beagle mix. His mom was Beagle/Sheltie and his dad was described to me as a medium sized Beagle or some kind of Hound mix.
He is very smart and learns quickly but is easily distracted. He is EXTREMELY food motivated.... to the point where we absolutely cannot eat around him or he will SCREAM because he's not getting what we have. However, even if we're in the middle of a training session and I'm holding a treat in my hand, I constantly have to put it under his nose to get his attention, otherwise his head is down and sniffing and trying to find things to get into the entire time. He does NOT focus on any one thing for more than 2 seconds, literally. House training has been next to impossible with him, at 5 months old he still has to go outside every 10 minutes or he will have an accident. And if his crate door is open and he's out running around, he will actually return to his crate to pee.
As for exercise, usually playing with the other dogs and a walk a day on our 15 acres is enough for him.
Despite all of our frustration, I love him lots and I know that someday he will grow up and with lots of training and patience, some of his "problems" will go away.

Well beeing motivaded by food is a great thing.

I met a chihuaha and a mutt in the pass that they werent food motivaded at all.

The chihuahua was an extremly picky eater, even more than a cat!! that was amazing :yikes:

My beage was extremely easy to train using food as a reward. She whipped through both basic and advanced obedience and can learn just about any trick you throw at her.
Except come. Do not ever, ever trust your beagle off the leash. They will pick up a scent and then its "Goodbye Mom! I'll be back when I get bored out here"
She has never been that active. She gets walked around the property every time she goes out (No fence), and goes on a two mile walk once a week, but beyond that, she just likes to lay around. However, she is very fast, even in her golden years.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Take a good look at the source you get the information from. I'd probably only believe what national breed clubs say about them and breeders recommended by breed clubs.

Along with chazhound members who've had experience with them of course. ;)

But I say this because some BYB or puppymill websites will say anything just to get the pups sold, and a large number of those people don't know anything about the breeds in the first place (nor do they breed correct temperaments).

Cass.
^^this is good information---

I have a beagle mix--he is a great dog! Yes, he is food motivated--but with consistency of training--he won't touch something he isn't supposed to--I can point my finger to another room , and he will go sit in there until we are finished with dinner--no crying, whining, etc.
His recall in a fenced area is very good---not 100%, but I would say 90%. I never let him off leash unless in a fenced area, because I know he will follow his nose! Indoors, he is a cuddle bug--he is curled up in my lap right now. Very loveable--wouldn't trade him for anything!
Beagles are a great companion breed--but don't like to be alone, and take alot of work for training, but definitely can learn!

I see,thanks for the comments.

so they can learn.

Not at a level of a GSD but not so stubburn like a husky? :)

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
As with any dog, there are exceptions to the standards, and not every beagle is created equal.

A year ago, I fostered a little beagle girl who was about 3 years old. She was calm and easygoing, quiet (I heard her whine ONCE and she never barked while with me), totally and completley not food motivated (the only thing I could get her to do anything for was a Benny Bully), and all the excercise she needed was one half hour walk per day. I gave her more, but she'd just sleep after. She was very well trained, and totally ignored my cats.

She was a complete and utter doll to have around, and I'd have kept her in a heartbeat if I'd been able to.

Members online

No members online now.