do boxers come in black?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
i was looking at some boxer breeders , just to look and found some with blak boxers. i went to check the standard and it mentions nothing about black specifically .

so does black boxers = BYB or is it somhow ressive coming out?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Absence of any brindling on a dog that appears to be black is a disqualification.

Color
The colors are fawn and brindle. Fawn shades vary from light tan to mahogany. The brindle ranges from sparse but clearly defined black stripes on a fawn background to such a heavy concentration of black striping that the essential fawn background color barely, although clearly, shows through (which may create the appearance of reverse brindling). White markings, if present, should be of such distribution as to enhance the dog's appearance, but may not exceed one-third of the entire coat. They are not desirable on the flanks or on the back of the torso proper. On the face, white may replace part of the otherwise essential black mask, and may extend in an upward path between the eyes, but it must not be excessive, so as to detract from true Boxer expression. The absence of white markings, the so-called "plain" fawn or brindle, is perfectly acceptable, and should not be penalized in any consideration of color. Disqualifications Boxers that are any color other than fawn or brindle. Boxers with a total of white markings exceeding one-third of the entire coat.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Nope.

But there is reverse brindle which can look very very dark - almost black.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've run into a few black boxers but it's not an encouraged color. Could be a crop-out, could be a color breeder, could just be a very dark reverse brindle. There is some breeder around here putting them out, because they're becoming a lot more common at the dog park.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If you see a black boxer it's either dark reverse brindle or a cross breed - can't get black boxers - genetically impossible as far as I know.

Unless someone knows something I don't :p

Which is likely.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Aha - I knew I wasn't making it up!

A dog that is any other colour than fawn, brindle (or white) cannot possibly be a pure bred boxer because those are the only genes for coat colour that exist within the boxer breed. A "boxer" that is black, or black with brown points, for example, MUST be a mixed breed because the genes required for those coat colours do not exist within the boxer breed (just as, for example, the brindle colour does not exist within the labrador retriever breed, or harlequin within the rottweiler breed).

R

RedyreRottweilers

You can bet on one thing. If it is mentioned in the breed standard, it DOES HAPPEN.

Labrador Retriever:

Color
The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
i read those quotes on other sites and thought it was impossible to get black like the pictures i was seeing also. but wanted to come here and ask anyway because chazzers know exerything and ya'll rock!

so nope no black ones in my way far away future!

i so wish people aould do the right thing and not be dictated by there pocket books.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok. Still as far as I am aware it is genetically impossible to get a black boxer :D

I don't know about labs.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Our neighbors have a boston terrier who I thought was black, until I was petting her and noticed she has some microscopic brindling on her inner legs. I would have never seen it if she hadn't gone belly up for me to pet her, so it's possible the dogs you are seeing are very dark brindles.

Black is genetically impossible in boxers. They are either heavy brindle (reverse brindle..and some people called sealed brindle, which is not a correct term either) or they are mutts.

So called black boxer breeders have started breeding the Heavily brindled boxers to other Heavily brindled boxers getting solid brindles....which look black to the average eye, or even that they are so heavily brindled that you can't tell unless in the sunlight....

But no, black boxers are NOT possible.

(and those breeders that use the frau stockman book and such haven't read or comprehended it either....)

That site itself admits they are sealed brindle litters...lol...niiiicce

AKC CH....where....i don't see any of their dogs being shown..sigh

Yeah i would recommend finding a BETTER breeder....sigh...

NOT black boxers....this is their statement on their site

We breed him with champion fawn and brindle females in an effort to achieve the best quality Black Boxer.

A fawn and brindle produce FAWN AND BRINDLE and sometimes WHITE...not BLACK...oy...

SIGH

S

That site is a great example of someone NOT understanding the fine points of their own breed stnadard. Those dogs are not 'champion quality'. They've got topline faults and poor angulation and I'm not even getting into heads, since I know NOTHING about boxer heads. :p That pretty arch of neck that I like aobut really good boxers is totally absent, too!

No one with decent girls would be willing to use that boy as a stud dog!

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Reminds me of the time I met a Berner "breeder" at an Eye Cert. last year. He brought his 13 month old BI-COLOR (yup, that's right - black & white) male Berner pup for certification. He told me he was one of three breeders in the U.S. who breeds extremely rare, Bi-Colored Berners. He said they are very popular overseas. ??????????????????????????????

I can't say they have their litter graded...lmfao...my guess is they just look at color and markings and say oh yes, here is how much we will ask for THIS one...sigh

OY....very "sad" looking boxers

S

There's some things you CAN tell at birth. For example, if you're in a breed with specified markings, you can probably rule out some pups at birth due to having too much (or not enough) white- so you KNOW those will go to pet (or possibly performance homes, but that needs to wait based on temperament.)

elegy

overdogged
"black" boxers are all the rage around here at the moment. in fact, the woman i know with one who suffered from generalized demodex and yet still bred her because she wanted to make more omg rare! black boxer$ caused me to feel a lot of rage....

Members online

No members online now.