Please do your computer(s) a favor! (good stuff from a computer guy)

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Martoch said:
I believe I was the one backed into a corner.
:p

Then this info is not for you.

A lot of free software does suck, but these are tried and tested over time by computer experts such as yourself.

You're something, that's for sure.

I didn't take it personally, I just took you for a goofy goober.
:eek:

Oh great, now we're all 'Jesus people'???
J/K!

Ya know something.... I like you. You answered all these points in a way that I would have. LOL

With my tail between my legs, I humbly withdraw from this engagement....

BECAUSE I AM STILL AT WORK!!! :p

<mumble...stupid 24x7 enviroment...mumble.....stupid "narrow down windows"...mumble>

Martoch, really.... excellent responces to my boorish points. I can see how I SHOULD be the smacked ass in this case.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
moo said:
Martoch is last person you should be weary of. As a matter of fact he used to be a moderator on a tech support site. He knows more than I could ever hope to know about computers, and I am no academic slouch. He has his own pc repair business, so be confident that the free advice he offers is valid and acurate. As far as low post count.........that is strictly on this site. I can offer you the site to check his credentials in a PM if you ask. He has over 6,000 posts to his credit on the tech support site. Puckstop31, don't be so quick to judge.

I don't think he was being judgemental BUT things like that do happen all the time and you can never be too careful. i don't think anything he said was out of line. We do not know what he does on other sites. he was just putting it out there so others could be aware JUST IN CASE. I understand he is your husband but puckstop is my husband and he can fight his own battles.

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
sparks19 said:
puckstop is my husband and he can fight his own battles.
You're posting in his defense to tell us that he can fight his own battles?
:confused:

[scratches head]

Anyway...your post really wasn't necessary as we've overlooked all that jazz and moved forward.
;)

Seriously...ask your husband, we talked in PMs for a short while.
:)

So please...if there are any more posts that aren't related to this thread, feel free to PM that sort of stuff. It really isn't necessary and is degrading the purpose of me trying to be helpful.

One more startup list analyzer..
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Martoch said:
You're posting in his defense to tell us that he can fight his own battles?
:confused:

[scratches head]

Anyway...your post really wasn't necessary as we've overlooked all that jazz and moved forward.

Seriously...ask your husband, we talked in PMs for a short while.

So please...if there are any more posts that aren't related to this thread, feel free to PM that sort of stuff. It really isn't necessary and is degrading the purpose of me trying to be helpful.

One more startup list analyzer..
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html

:rolleyes:

So everyone gets to say their piece except me :( FINE then be that way *cry*

Anyway having a separate program for every single thing also starts to bog down the computer.

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
No redheads allowed! (my wife is a readhead too)

For those of you that have a home wireless network that is not already properly set up for security. Most of the people I know don't even have any security settings enabled on their wireless routers. Avoid WEP encryption as it can be broken in minutes with free software. WPA is the way to go...
Wireless Security: WPA Step by Step

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
scob89 said:
I know all about that. lol Our main computer went down because norton missed a virus. It was bad enuff that I had to wipe the drive and install my OS again.

As for that spysweeper I think that it is crap. I used it for awhile I found out that it takes away power from your computer and takes forever to scan both hard drives.
We paid for spysweeper, but never turn it on, because of exactly that problem scob. I just have one pc to take care of these days, but even with all the paid-for or free software out there I known you are never 100% safe. I just don't open unknow emails and surf a lot less. Means I get to spend more time here :D

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Martoch said:
No redheads allowed! (my wife is a readhead too)

For those of you that have a home wireless network that is not already properly set up for security. Most of the people I know don't even have any security settings enabled on their wireless routers. Avoid WEP encryption as it can be broken in minutes with free software. WPA is the way to go...
Wireless Security: WPA Step by Step
Well than you should know better :D

B!tching is an art form for redheads and i haven't found a hair colour that can compare lol
anyway yeah it was off topic i know *slaps hand*

Hi Martoch,
I used and can vouche for most of the programs you have listed. Cleanup is awesome and I have used it since 1.0 verson.
Thanks for the other great programs I so far am amazed.

Chazhound

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
scob89 said:
As for that spysweeper I think that it is crap. I used it for awhile I found out that it takes away power from your computer and takes forever to scan both hard drives.
You mean if you keep it running all of the time? I don't use spysweeper as realtime protection...I just use it as a one time scan to get rid of malware. As a matter of fact, the only realtime programs I have running are my antivirus, firewall, and popup stopper. If you're an IE user, Microsoft Antispyware Beta will catch a lot of spyware before it's able to embed itslef into your system. You'll see it pop up with a "XXX is trying to enter your startup registry" or whatever and you can decide whether or not to allow it. I'm a dedicated Firefox user, so no need for it here.

chazhound said:
Thanks for the other great programs I so far am amazed.
Thanks chazhound...glad to be of service.
;)

~Mike

Melissa_W

I will definitely vouch for Firefox, Zone Alarm, and Ad-aware. I'm gonna try out some of the other programs you mentioned though. Thanks!

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
You're welcome! Thanks for trying some of the others out as well.

Some info on Avast...this seems long, but it's helpful.
What I really like about Avast antivirus is the boot-time scan.
Avast said:
A new option with this release is the boot-time scan (Windows NT/2000/XP/.NET only). This important feature allows a user to instigate scanning before a virus is activated, in the case that a virus is suspected to be active on your computer already.
When Avast is installed, it will prompt you with a "do you want to schedule a boot-time scan?" It's okay to answer yes, but before you reboot, it is important to perform an update so you're scanning with the latest virus signatures. Before you reboot, launch Avast and copy/paste the free registration code from your e-mail into the box and hit OK. Then cancel the memory scan (no point without the latest virus defs). Once the main Avast window opens, you'll see a window open with a numbered list of Avast features. Check the 'do not show me this again' box at the bottom and close that window. Click on the upper left button (up arrow with a line underneath) and select 'updating--program update' and let it run its course, but do not reboot if prompted. Hit that same button again and select 'settings', then click on 'sounds' and check the box to disable sounds (you don't have to, but the sounds are annoying to me)...then click on 'update (connections)', check the appropriate box, and hit OK. After rebooting, you'll see that Avast will perform the boot-time scan (assuming you selected 'yes' when it asked you during installation). Once it finishes and your system boots to Windows, you'll notice two new icons in your system tray (bottom right most likely unless you've moved the taskbar somewhere else)...two blue spheres...one with an 'i' in the middle and one with an 'a'. Right click on the 'i' and select 'merge with main Avast icon' (or something similar). If you hold the mouse over the main 'a' icon, you should see 'On-Access Scanner: 7 Provider(s) total, 6 running. That's because the 7th (e-mail scanner) won't begin until you launch your e-mail program. Now you're protected!
:)

DanL

Puck, I have a similar job as you- 24/7 environment. Our team has about 2000 servers we manage, all divided up between us. That makes it cool because you have a definite list of boxes you are responsible for maintaining- if you don't, you get called at 2am when it crashes. Luckily, they allow us to work from home via VPN. The only time I have to go to the data center is when something crashes hard and needs a rebuild or other hardware work. I only have about 130 boxes myself, but some of them are the most important in the company- payroll and benefits stuff. I'm not responsible for any end user desktops, just servers, so my exposure to idiots is minimalized, though application developers can fit the idiot bill pretty well sometimes. :)

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
9/10 people can't tell me what processor speed they have or how much memory is installed in their PCs, but would like to know more about their computer(s).

Here's a great program that will tell you just about everything you need to know about your computer...from hardware to software. Free and a snap to use.
Everest Home Edition
EVEREST Home Edition is a free system diagnostics, system information and benchmarking solution for home PC users
Enjoy!
Mike

scob89

DILLIGAF?
Martoch said:
You mean if you keep it running all of the time? I don't use spysweeper as realtime protection...I just use it as a one time scan to get rid of malware. As a matter of fact, the only realtime programs I have running are my antivirus, firewall, and popup stopper. If you're an IE user, Microsoft Antispyware Beta will catch a lot of spyware before it's able to embed itslef into your system. You'll see it pop up with a "XXX is trying to enter your startup registry" or whatever and you can decide whether or not to allow it. I'm a dedicated Firefox user, so no need for it here.
I never kept it running all the time just used it to scan the two drives once a week. But the whole time i had it the computer ran slow and yes I did make sure that it was not running. After I got rid of it this computer ran alot better.

amymarley

I am not a computer expert by any means, but what I do LOVE is Registry Mechanic. It costs about 25.00 per year and does a sweep every time you want or when you start up your computer. I had a brand new computer and after 4 months, I purchased it and found over 300 things wrong with my computer, and it fixed them within seconds.
I found this from my dad, who found a web site (which I love) called www.majorgeeks.com. They have a lot of free ware and some to buy... they have been great. But, I run my Reg. Mec. all the time.

Martoch

Is it Halloween yet?
scob89...too bad you don't live closer, I would like to have checked out why your system would hang with SS installed.

I like Registry Mechanic as well...in fact, I just ran a scan yesterday. I also use majorgeeks from time to time. In fact, I'll use it right now.
;)

RegScrubXP is a free registry cleaner...with a few added tweaks available when you click the 'misc' button in the upper right.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048

amymarley

Thanks for the info Martoch...
Gotta question, are you familiar with Homestead? I have my website through them and created it myself...not a very good job, since I am web-site (creating) challanged... I am trying to add another page for a new-add-on business with my pet sitting business. Anyway, when I publish new changes, it sometimes takes a bit to show on line. I haven't touched the site for a long time and I hope it works out...
Anyway, was wondering if it doesn't "show up," I was wondering if you are familiar with Homestead.
Amy

scob89

DILLIGAF?
Martoch said:
scob89...too bad you don't live closer, I would like to have checked out why your system would hang with SS installed.
I knew what the problem was lol It was Spy Sweeper that was makeing the computer run slow, and that was the ONLY thing wrong was that program. After removeing it the computer ran like it was new.

keyodie

Keyozilla
Wow, thanks! One important question though...how do I download crap cleaner? :p Sorry, I'm not very observant.

edit: Nevermind, thanks for your help anyway. I found it. :D

Members online