Illegal grooming

GipsyQueen

I'm not sure - and I couldn't find much on the interwebs - but I'd imagine it wouldn't be part of the breed standard?

Like here in Europe cropping and docking is illegal and is there for (no longer) part of the breed standard. Zora, for example, can take part in Conformation Shows even though her ears aren't cropped.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I didn't even know it was illegal to trim/shave whiskers in some countries...

Huh, first time I hear this, in a dog I don't think is an issue unlike wit cats

Since he's a poodle wit the face always shaved Pompadour has never had whiskers, he doesn't have problems navigating, locating things or smelling

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I didn't even know it was illegal to trim/shave whiskers in some countries...
I know it is illegal to remove whiskers in Germany for one, but I can't find others.

I have just been informed that whisker removal, while not illegal, is strongly discouraged in Sweden to the point that judges are expected to penalize a dog with whiskers removed.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
unfortunately I can not provide proof that Germany bans whisker removal. All I have to base that off of is a German exhibitor I talked to who stated it is against the law, and the word of an Aussie judge who judged in Germany and saw a handler kicked from the show grounds for whisker removal.

I wish I spoke German, It may be easier for me to find German law websites if I did.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm not sure - and I couldn't find much on the interwebs - but I'd imagine it wouldn't be part of the breed standard?

Like here in Europe cropping and docking is illegal and is there for (no longer) part of the breed standard. Zora, for example, can take part in Conformation Shows even though her ears aren't cropped.
I'm quoting this as gypsy is german, and doesn't seem all that convinced by the claim!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
All I can find are links on trimming horses whiskers being illegal in Germany... But only on forums, no real substance.

Flyinsbt

I tried to Google this, for both Sweden and Germany, and the only thing I could find was comments on an internet forum post (I think a grooming forum) from 2001, in which they discussed that there was a rumor that whisker trimming wasn't allowed in Germany, and someone stated that this was not true, just a rumor being spread by a few people.

Obviously not real evidence, but there's no evidence being given towards it being illegal, either.

Photos I found of Poodles in those countries did not appear to be groomed differently than here. I couldn't really see if there were whiskers, but I can't see any way to shave the muzzle without shaving whiskers.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I tried to Google this, for both Sweden and Germany, and the only thing I could find was comments on an internet forum post (I think a grooming forum) from 2001, in which they discussed that there was a rumor that whisker trimming wasn't allowed in Germany, and someone stated that this was not true, just a rumor being spread by a few people.

Obviously not real evidence, but there's no evidence being given towards it being illegal, either.

Photos I found of Poodles in those countries did not appear to be groomed differently than here. I couldn't really see if there were whiskers, but I can't see any way to shave the muzzle without shaving whiskers.
Yep this is pretty much where I am at too.

Members online

No members online now.