Should I take them?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
About two months ago the old woman who lived across the street passed away. She lived in the house with her husband and their son. Well about two weeks later the husband passed away as well:( . Since the husband passed away there has been a pair of bloodhounds out in the backyard day and night. Even when we were having the really bad storms and everything I could hear them outside yelping and barking. I started feeding them and making sure they had water a few days ago. Today the son (who still lives in the house) came out while I was checking on the boys (I named them Bo and Luke). He didn't seem pleased at all I was taking care of them though and told me they were his father's dogs and he doesn't like dogs and doesn't want them anymore so they had to stay out in the yard. I asked him if he would rehome them and he said if he could find someone to take them he would give them away. I don't know if I can talk my husband into taking the boys temporarily though. The yard they are in seems fairly safe though there are a few things they can get caught up on but for the most part secure. I am just so worried with winter coming and it actually snowed today. Should I try to talk my husband into taking them, or just keep up checking on them daily. I already called animal control and they won't do anything:rolleyes: . They said as long as they are being fed and watered and are in a secure yard they aren't in any danger and can't be taken away. I don't really want them but I don't want them to have to be outside 24/7.

Awww, those poor dogs! Not only have they lost both of their humans but they have also lost human contact except for you! I am sure they are quite unhappy and quite unsettled with the extreme change in their living arrangements. I don't think bloodhounds are a dog that would do well staying outside especially in the cold. If your hubby isn't agreeable to your taking them into your home perhaps you could contact a bloodhound rescue group. I am sure they would do their best to help them out and hopefully find them a home together.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
It's not that he's not agreeable it's just he is afraid that once we get them I will fall in love (too late) and not want to rehome them. I am sure I can find someone from my husband's work that I trust enough to take them though. I don't want to just give them away to anyone. I will look into a rescue and hopefully get the boys into one of them, I don't want to pay but I don't want them living in that yard constantly.

You're in Indiana, right? Winter will probably be really cold...do they have a dog house? Maybe you could put up fliers to help find a home for them.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
gaddylovesdogs said:
You're in Indiana, right? Winter will probably be really cold...do they have a dog house? Maybe you could put up fliers to help find a home for them.
Yup, I do. Yeah it's already really cold. I don't see a dog house, they have been sleeping under a table together. I don't want to give them blankies, maybe I should throw some straw under there. I don't have the money to buy them both dog houses or I would do that. Maybe I will contact my vet he helped rehome Mack maybe he could help with these two boys (and possibly house them until they are rehomed). Yeah, I'm gonna call him now, he always has a soft spot for dogs in need.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well the boys are here...for the night. My vet has agreed to help place them and he has also agreed to keep them at his house (I think, his house or the kennel). So I took the boys for the night and we are dropping them at the vet's office in the morning. They are FAR too feisty for us too. I thought Hannah was bad these two are bouncing off the walls, but I can tell they appreciate the warm house and a nice meal and treats. I will miss them but atleast they will get a nice home. I think they have settled down a tad though. I was going to give them baths because they are very dirty but they are not cooperating so I will have to wait till hubby comes home or skip it.

Julie

I am back again.
If the dogs will be staying in a kennel outside at the vets, please skip the bath. For an outside dog a bath during cold weather can be dangerous. It will remove oils and hair that will help keep them warm. Never bath an outside dog during the cold weather. Just a thought.
Julie.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
If the dogs end up staying outside, LINE THE DOGHOUSE WITH straw or hay!! It will keep the heat in it amazingly!! you'd be surprised :)
Aww I love bloodhounds lol They are just too adorable with all the wrinkles.

Sheba

I W A L R
I say to take them in. I cant stand seeing dogs outside day in night in the snow, Husky, Malamute, or Bloodhound alike. (Meaning that I cant stand seeing ANY dog outside in the snow day or night, no matter how thick their coat is.)

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
HAHAHA Julie, you know you will and you know you will love them. Your heart is as big as Texas (and all the oilmen to boot)

Oh, Julie, thank God you helped them!!!! I was getting ready to drive up there and get them when you said they were huddled under a table out in the elements in this cold weather!!! So, do you still have them or at they at your vet's inside and safe?????

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
No they are gone. They are safe at my vet's house for the time being. He's gonna see how they are and then try and find them homes (together hopefully).

Saje

Island dweller
Good for you Julie. I know it's tempting for you to take them (you do have a big heart) but you seem so happy with your pups now. I think you should keep things how they are for awhile. Your vet sounds great. I'm sure he'll find great homes for them.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I am EXTREMELY happy with my two. I forgot how crowded four dogs made this house. They were WAY too much dog for us. They would have drove me absolutely crazy if I had them for much longer. They loved to listen to themselves bark, which in turns got my girls barking, so the whole night they were here it was nonstop barking. Not much sleep for any of us, so it was very saddening but also VERY good to see them go the next morning.

Members online

No members online now.