Adding Calories

SpringerLover

Buzz is underweight. Not by my definition, but by the definition of our rehab vet. We've been trying to add oils for extra calories and while it may be working, it's very slow. I was able to successfully add a pound to him before his tooth extractions but he lost that, and more, during a stressful recovery. He was below 50 for a while and is now hovering right around 51. It's not really about poundage though, he's just all ribs and spine.

He has allergies so what he's getting now, and not having an allergic reaction to, is Pure Vita Bison kibble (tried increasing the amount, just saw more poop) and Primal Sardine grind or Bravo Balance Beef (about 1/4-1/3 of a pound each meal). He's also getting coconut oil and sardine oil when he doesn't get raw sardine grind.

I tried the Canine Caviar canned Beaver but he got loose stools?

Oh, he also takes a pre/probiotic and digestive enzyme (though the digestive enzyme is new). I don't want to send him into pancreatitis by adding too much fat so... does anyone have any brilliant ideas for me to try next?

SaraB

Not knowing what all he's allergic too, have you tried satin balls? That's what dane people do when their dogs won't put on weight.

"5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement"

http://www.holisticdog.org/Nutrition/Satinballs/satinballs.html

SpringerLover

I'm afraid to do grains? I know he can't be allergic to them ALL but he sure seems to be allergic to a lot... and he's allergic to flax.

I've thought about trying to put him back on all raw but I don't know if I can afford it since he can't have poultry!

SaraB

I'm afraid to do grains? I know he can't be allergic to them ALL but he sure seems to be allergic to a lot... and he's allergic to flax.

I've thought about trying to put him back on all raw but I don't know if I can afford it since he can't have poultry!
That would be tough too because the majority of bones that you can feed are poultry, so you would have to go fish or rabbit based. Or add ground bone in.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
a raw feeder i talk to says to buy fatty scraps to put weight on, which is basically the trim from cuts of meat that are "lean", ie all fat with a lil bit of meat. you only need a little bit, and it puts weight on fast. maybe get some pork or beef trim from a local butcher?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Here's a grain free Satin Balls recipe (there's a few different ones around online but I like this one best):
1lb ground beef
2-3 eggs with shells
1 pint cottage cheese (full fat)
1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons fish oil/coconut oil/EVOO
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons raw honey

I looked into the very idea of GF satin balls for Payton, I haven't tried it though.

I'm not sure if you could do this since he's allergic to poultry - will he have a reaction to raw eggs as well?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If you decide to try the GF Satin Balls I have raw honey you can use.

Also, have you tried/fed tripe recently? I have a couple pounds you can have. Then I can not feel bad about it just sitting in my freezer cause it smells bad and I don't want to divy it up :p

SpringerLover

I just wanted to update that I've been adding cottage cheese (at first it was skim, this time it's the whole milk kind) along with increasing his coconut oil, and adding sardine oil... he's not lost any more weight and is possibly gaining a little? It appears as though a multi pronged approach is working... for now.

I'm happy he doesn't look nearly emaciated anymore, that's for sure!

Is he an old dog? I can't remember his age.

I know as dogs get older they start carrying their weight differently. A lot of times their spine and hip bones will show where they didn't previously even if they are at a good weight.

Brattina88

I know as dogs get older they start carrying their weight differently. A lot of times their spine and hip bones will show where they didn't previously even if they are at a good weight.
This.
I just wanted to say that Maddie is going to be 11 this month, and she is having the same problems. She eats twice as much as Bailey and was still losing, so I started adding canned as well. The vet said she was a little on the thin side, nothing to panic about - its good for her joints to stay thin, but he would like at least a pound more 'cushion' just in case she gets ill or something.
So, after this thread, I made the GF Satin Balls Beanie posted -- they really seemed to help. And she loves them - I've been squirting them into her eggplant orbee to eat :p lol
Thanks for sharing, Beanie!

SpringerLover

He'll be 15 years in May. He really was too skinny, he wasn't carrying extra fat anywhere. I'm comfortable with where he's at now. He's definitely not fat but he has the slightest covering on his ribs now.

Members online

No members online now.