Handmade Christmas

darkchild16

We are Home.
We are thinking about doing a handmade christmas this year for people outside of the kids. Things like lotions and what not for the adults/women. Not sure what to do for men, and kids.

I want most of it to be things the kids can help with and of course that can be done cheap.

Have you done it before? Thoughts? Tips? Ideas?

We've done Mason Jar things before. Ya know, when you put all the dry ingredients in the jar in layers and then when you want to make whatever it is, you just add the wet ingredients.

darkchild16

We are Home.
We've done Mason Jar things before. Ya know, when you put all the dry ingredients in the jar in layers and then when you want to make whatever it is, you just add the wet ingredients.
I'm thinking of doing some of those. My grandfather LOVESSSSSSSSSSS Orange Marmalade so I might make him some of that.

If I had a sewing machine Id make the kids some stuffys but I dont have one that works. I might just talk Jeremy into getting me a BASIC one before christmas and I can make the kids blankets.

Miakoda

What about those no-sew fleece blankets? Bev could help with those.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Im thinking about those. I found a BUNCH of cute ideas on pintrest. I think we are putting together a fort kit for my cousin (Just turned 10) and a stick pony for my other cousin (she will be 2 in may)

We are doing both our kids and the family now I found the CUTEST things from things we either have most of or can get at dollar tree.

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Origami mobiles!

My family does home-made gifts most years as well (for each other) and my brother made me this awesome origami mobile and I treasure it!

It has dragons and dogs and cranes and owls! I wish I had a picture

All it took was a some wood (bird perches, spindles, branch etc..), some fishing line, and paper!

Probably took him forever, especially for the dragons (which are very intricate) but for cranes it wouldn't take too long!

darkchild16

We are Home.
ok so for the boy we are doing this
superhero fort kit
http://megandandymade.blogspot.com/2011/05/super-hero-fort-kit.html

with a homemade marshmallow gun

for her we are doing
http://www.attemptingaloha.com/2011/12/possibly-most-glamorous-hobby-horse.html

and
something else.

My guys are both getting a horse
crayon molds
a wooden box of game pieces painted like superheros/princesses
marshmallow guns (including Jeremy)
savannah is getting a wipe container filled with fabric wipes
bev is getting fake play make up (take nail polish and put it in old makeup containers.)
and I think an A frame tent.
http://builtbykids.com/build-a-beautiful-indoor-a-frame-kids-tent/

Last edited:

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I love the A frame tents! I may have to make those for the kids this year (they are really getting into forts lately).

darkchild16

We are Home.
I love the A frame tents! I may have to make those for the kids this year (they are really getting into forts lately).
I saw those and with 4 drilled holes and 4 elastic loops how can you go wrong?!?! I'm just going to go to goodwill and get some twin sheets from there.

So far everything (besides the fort kit) is under 5 bucks.

I should make some for J. He would love it! Send me a recipe!

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASEEEE :D:D:D:D:D
I posted how I made the habanero sauce in my Hot Sauce thread :) It's a really basic recipe, so you can sub different types of peppers and flavors.

The sauce I made with the green cayennes was simple. A can of mangoes, a tablespoon of orange juice concentrate, half a small white onion, 16 large green cayennes, quarter cup of lime juice, half cup or so (maybe 3/4) of white vinegar, and about the same of water. Half a teaspoon of sea salt, teaspoon of sugar, quarter cup of salad oil (don't use olive oil, the flavors don't go well). Liquefied it in the VitaMix, poured it into a saucepan, brought it just barely to a boil, simmered for about 5 minutes, let it cool and put it in small freezer jars. Once it's completely cool I'll store it in the freezer, thaw it out as I want it.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I posted how I made the habanero sauce in my Hot Sauce thread :) It's a really basic recipe, so you can sub different types of peppers and flavors.

The sauce I made with the green cayennes was simple. A can of mangoes, a tablespoon of orange juice concentrate, half a small white onion, 16 large green cayennes, quarter cup of lime juice, half cup or so (maybe 3/4) of white vinegar, and about the same of water. Half a teaspoon of sea salt, teaspoon of sugar, quarter cup of salad oil (don't use olive oil, the flavors don't go well). Liquefied it in the VitaMix, poured it into a saucepan, brought it just barely to a boil, simmered for about 5 minutes, let it cool and put it in small freezer jars. Once it's completely cool I'll store it in the freezer, thaw it out as I want it.

I didnt even think to look in there especially since you know how much of a wimp I am about hot sauce LMAO

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Home made gifts are the only ones I can give, and if that isn't good enough I don't know what to say. There is nothing I could afford to buy that wouldn't be humiliating.

darkchild16

We are Home.
same here this year. Between the moving and Morgans therapy and everything. I could never afford to give anything that is comparable to what I am making.

xpaeanx

I do picture frames. The frames are only like $2 at michael's... then I paint them and glue on pictures of thing the person likes. I also have fabric paint/glue stuff that is great for putting on letters and stuff.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I spent all my Christmas budget on the plane ticket to see my family for the holiday. So, handmade Christmas for me, too. I'm thinking hand-drawn family portraits, kind of like the cheesey caricature ones you buy at craft fairs but that actually look a bit like them.

But I'd love to make some handmade lotions and other fun things. Any good ideas, please share and I'll do the same! :)

I've had good experiences with handmade Christmases. I knit and crochet, and one year I made everyone a blanket/afghan and they were all thrilled. I think the no-sew blankets are a great idea, one year my mom made one of those for everyone and I had it for years and years before I wore it out. Another year a friend of mine made a really simple fleece blanket that had little feet pockets on one end and then just hemmed roughly around the other edges. I use that blanket constantly.

darkchild16

We are Home.

CaliTerp07

What a neat idea :) My very favorite gift ever is a wonderfully warm and heavy blanket my MIL made for me. It lives on my couch and I use it almost every day. She chose my favorite colors and a pattern that she thought fit me, and it was (is!) definitely appreciated.

Members online