Buddy Ray-Ray

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
My Dearest Buddy,

I realize the story will get old, but every year on this day, I will always remember the profound way in which you changed my life. So it’s a worthy story to repeat.
The Fresno SPCA had always been a sad place overrun with dogs, cats, puppies, kittens and small furries. I always want to take the saddest looking dogs home because they are the ones that get overlooked. We went to the puppy section and this time both Lena and Peter were with me. We took puppies out, played with them. I walked up and down the puppy aisle, wondering if it was meant to be that day. Then I spotted you.
Your head was down on your front paws and your eyes were full of stories and were most definitely a window into your soul. Those eyes pleaded with me, as if to say, “please just give me a chance.†You looked sad, but I walked to your cage, and boy, were you watching my every move. I lifted the latch and stuck my hand in and you were an instant ball of energy. You were jumping up and down, you were licking me, pawing me and you demanded that I take you home. Unfortunately, it didn’t quite work out that way, we had to have you neutered first, but, I had finally found my puppy.
I took a picture of you and then drove 300 miles to our new home. I would return in two days to get you, with daddy in tow. I must say you made a great first impression on him. You nestled in his lap during the car ride to see Grandma and Grandpa like you had been there all along. No accidents, you were just a good puppy.
Two days later, on Christmas Day, we knew something was terribly wrong. You weren’t well and deep in my heart I knew it wasn’t going to be okay. We rushed you to the ER clinic and they gave you fluids. The next morning we took you to American Animal Hospital where you spent a week fighting for your life in the ICU.
I paced the floors, cried and hoped and prayed that you had the strength to make it through. They wouldn’t let us see you, but Dr. Sangha called every day to give us updates. At one point, the outlook was grim, but I believed. After a week, Dr. Sangha called and said you were ready to come home. The next 48 hours, she said, would be the most crucial. She gave us her home number and told us to call at any sign of illness.
My Buddy Boy, you came home that day and you tore the house apart. You were back and you were well and it was all going to be okay. You wanted toys, you wanted lovins, you wanted it all.
You proved to be a difficult dog- housetraining, dominance issues…certainly not a walk in the park for first time dog owners. But by the Grace of God we made it through... just as we have through every ER visit, every vet visit, every emergency surgery, every illness, every bout of allergies, every injury and just as we will for any future hurdles that happen to be in our path.
If there is anything to thank God for, it would be for the life lessons you- just a dog, some people say- have taught me. Welcome to the rest of our lives, Buddy. I will fight with you, for you. I will protect you and do my best to make you well. I’m sure it’ll be difficult, but I’d go through anything to be with you.

Love,
Mom

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Aww, we're so glad you fought a good fight. Cute puppy. Gorgeous adult. :)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Thanks, Barb. I love them so. :) Thank you, RHD and Goldie, too. :)

He was an irresistible puppy, lol. He got away with a lot until we got smart, lol. :D

ACooper

It was meant to be that YOU took him home that day........another person might have 'pulled the plug' and given up on him :)

Happy anniversary Buddy........and have many many more to share with us all :D

Members online

No members online now.