What would you do? food options...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
OK, let's see if this makes sense to anybody but me.

So Nacho is a "foster". He came to me on a decent food -- not the best but certainly not the worst -- around Kirkland quality. He is a senior (5 years old) and is doing very well on the food currently. He does seem to be picky about what he eats -- I haven't found a treat he'll take yet, other than Duck Soup.

Now, my guys are not fed the same food, they are fed a mix of Acana and Fromm.

Nacho's food is getting empty, and it's coming to the point where I'll have to make a decision. The choices are basically:
A) Start weaning him onto the mix of food my ferrets are currently eating. The pros would be getting him on a better food and he'd be saying the same thing as my ferrets, ease of feeding. The con would be if he gets adopted, he probably won't be fed as high quality as my ferrets so he'll just be going back down, and price is somewhat of a concern. Of course, if I keep him, that's a moot point.
B) Keep him on the food he's on now. Pros would be price, I know he'll do good on it, and easier to transfer him to another food if he's adopted. Cons would be that I'd feel bad I'm not feeding him the same quality as my guys.
C) Switch him to another food possibly better quality, but not as expensive as my guys. I would probably go to Zupreem grainfree in that case, or EVO. Pros is well, better quality food and I don't feel as bad. I could buy the food at the same place I currently buy food. Comes would be, again, price, but I don't think it would be that much of a difference.

So.. what would you do in that case? :p pretend he's a dog or cat if it makes it easier LOL

I will say, I feel comfortable with the company he is fed right now, probably trust them more than EVO. Also, he is not living with my ferrets, and likely will never be (territorial males :rolleyes:) so them eating the food is not a concern I have.

I hate decisions.

Saeleofu

If he's a foster, I'd keep him on the current food, given you feel comfortable feeding it. There's no sense in doing a food change now and again when he goes to his forever home. I'd think it would be less stressful to keep it the same for now.

milos_mommy

I would keep his food the same for now. If you keep him switch, and if he gets adopted you can suggest a better food to the new owner

GoingNowhere

Does the rescue not pay for/supply food?

Every rescue I've fostered for (granted dogs, but still) has supplied/paid for all basic necessities and vet care.

However, since it seems you're paying yourself, I'd keep him on what he's on. Primarily going on the motto of "if it's not broken, don't fix it."

Price and no transition period are also perks.

Brattina88

Every rescue I've fostered for (granted dogs, but still) has supplied/paid for all basic necessities and vet care.

However, since it seems you're paying yourself, I'd keep him on what he's on. Primarily going on the motto of "if it's not broken, don't fix it."

The rescue that I liked the most, and still volunteer for doesn't (unless you specially request I suppose).
I agree, though :)

So.. what would you do in that case? :p pretend he's a dog or cat if it makes it easier LOL

I will say, I feel comfortable with the company he is fed right now, probably trust them more than EVO. Also, he is not living with my ferrets, and likely will never be (territorial males :rolleyes:) so them eating the food is not a concern I have.

I hate decisions.
I hate decisions, too :p lol
I say option B. I probably would be asking you the same thing if I was in your situation... what would you tell me? Oh, besides switch and keep him! lol!

When I fostered dogs I usually switched them over to what I was feeding eventually...(MINUS RAW) but I had several long term fosters, that makes a difference to me, too. So if you think he's going to be with you more long term, and he would benefit from the switch, then I would do it. But that's just me ;) I always try to strongly recommend to whoever is adopting to keep them on high quality food. I've personally had two (that I can think of off the top of my head) that switched and then called me and had to switch back due to allergy problems (oh the joys of cocker rescue :p ) but honestly it might be easier/better just to keep Nacho on what he's on ;) its not as simple with the ferrets as it is dogs.... (what is it?! its driving me nuts trying to think of it lol)

JessLough

Love My Mutt

We are a small rescue -- I can give myself a tax receipt for the amount the food costs, but we only pay for food for foster homes with something like more than 13 fosters. Smaller rescue means les donations, and since its ferrets the vet bills for even basics are more than your general dog vet bills. We pay for all vet care and meds, though.

I wouldn't be comfortable adding a specific food to feed to whoever adopts him, honestly. He's a 5 year old, its going to be hard enough adopting him out. Obviously, the rescue has general rules of foods you must feed -- no crap food -- but I also wouldn't expect somebody to pay $30 a month for his food since if he's adopted, they're in charge of his vet bills which he'll likely need sooner rather than later.

Thanks for all the input, guys! He's definitely staying on this food for the next bag, if he's still here then, we'll seriously consider him being a full long-term.

milos_mommy

I always suggest high quality foods to people who adopt one of my fosters. Unless they already have ferrets, they'll likely take it to heart. I don't see how that makes an animal harder to adopt? They're usually already adopted when you'd suggest a food.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, we require they feed a good quality food. I guess I meant more like I'm not going to push it as a requitlrement if they don't want to spend quite as much. All my fosters go home with what they are eating with the suggestion they stay on that food or similar for ease.

ETA: I can't really blame them for not feeding what I do... I easily pay double what I could.

Last edited:

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, I bought him another bag of the food he came on. My mom isn't too comfortable keeping him on the food long term (though I think its because she thinks I'm uneasy with it), so we're going to slowly change him to the Fromm/Acana mix my guys are eating.

Members online

No members online now.