Some Flat Coated Retrievers

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Mostly photos of dogs I know and the lighting was weird so they're grainy and not very good but still, FCRs <3

Jona

Jona again, I loved that dog. He was super happy.

K-Man

Oops he saw me!

Holy crap he won 9-11 Veteran males.

Cava, I think.

Then a Judges Award of Merit!

One foot out of 6 on the ground

The handsome black guy I shared my bed with.

Bubba Gump lip

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I should add for those who don't know. K isn't mine, he belongs to that lovely lass in the photos showing him. However he has become very near and dear to my heart, love that big ol' boy. I will own a Flattie one day though, one day.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Dang flat coats are beautiful dogs! Mira is still my favorite though. I didn't even know they came in red/liver/whatever color they call it. Man, they're beautiful

Toller_08

Yay for liver Flattie pictures! I love all Flat Coats, but especially liver. And congrats to Kaleb!!

Flat Coated Retriever people have to be some of the nicest dog people ever. I've been to a few Flat Coat specialties with the breeder I know and they were all so friendly. Just like the dogs, haha.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I do think it's funny that a lot of non-FCR people prefer liver...like overwhelmingly so. Just an observation.

Mira's Bb...her Dad's liver and half her sibs are liver as well. I prefer black but a *dark* rich liver can be pretty...liver dogs' coats tend to be more prone to fading though. With all the swimming and such we do, if Mira was liver, no matter how dark, by the end of summer she would probably have blonde highlights lol

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Really? I love a rich black. I have noticed a lot of dogs here, the flat coats, have brown highlights and sometimes thicker less even coats than Mira. She's stunning in her deep color, light weight and evenly grown coat.

Toller_08

I do think it's funny that a lot of non-FCR people prefer liver...like overwhelmingly so. Just an observation.
Really? I would have thought that black would be the preference for most people. I think I just tend to prefer brown dogs over all, regardless of breed. If I have a choice in colour, I always choose brown. Not sure why. Red Dobes, liver Dals, liver Flat Coats, etc.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Black is the preference for FCR people historically which is one reason livers are in such the minority ;) Just seems like a lot of folks who don't own them go gaga for the livers. Not at all a criticism, just an observation. I don't know if it's a case of the human tendency to prefer the unusual or if it's just that black dogs don't pop as much or what. I just find it interesting. I find the flat blacks with fringe to be as classy-looking as they come but that's just me.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Really? I love a rich black. I have noticed a lot of dogs here, the flat coats, have brown highlights and sometimes thicker less even coats than Mira. She's stunning in her deep color, light weight and evenly grown coat.
I love black dogs too, except for how annoying it is to photograph them. Mira is by far the prettiest Flat coat I've seen. When I show people what a flat coat looks like I try and pull up her pictures because I think she is perfect.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Gorgeous breed ! , i dont think i've met one in person either.

Are they similar to labs , personality wise?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Gorgeous breed ! , i dont think i've met one in person either.

Are they similar to labs , personality wise?
They're different than a lab, I'd say in my experience. It's hard for me to explain though.

I like that a FCR can be total doofus during down time but as soon as they're working it's serious business (and by working i mean hunting, OB, Agility, whatever you throw at them really). They're all heart too, ask a FCR to do something and they put everything into it for you.

Of course I don't live with one and Shai would be better able to tell you more specifically, I only hang out with them and run K in agility occasionally.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Are they sweeter and more biddable like a golden verses a lab?

I have only trained a bit with a baby flat coat, the rest of my experience has been from watching them at trials.

Members online

No members online now.