MY IDEA!!! potty training. taking the dog out on a lead to help with recall?

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
hi. some of you know already that i dont have a dog yet but im just getting ready. i just have a theory and want to know if anyone does anything similar or your thoughts.

when working on recall (to call your dog over when your out in the park etc) could i do this..

every time i take the dog out, to play and to go potty, i put it on a lead. for potty training i put him on the lead and when he goes toilet i praise and let him have a little run about. now, to help wth recall, every time i take the puppy out to play with a ball or toy, i put him on the lead and take him outside. i then walk around the garden for a minute or so with the pup. then i take off the lead and let him run around/investigate, then i use the command 'come' and when he comes to me i give him a ball etc and play. (this is when the puppy knows what 'come' means though) i do this every day varying if the pup gets a treat,no treat,which toy ect,or no toy,so he doesn't expect to get something every time he comes back, he just thinks 'theres a chance i could get something there,so ill go and see.'

then when we go to a park or somewhere not fenced of to play etc when he is older, he would have been taught to come when called,just like he was back at home.

what do you guys think?

thanks.

emc

I taught my dog to come by getting her attention - calling her name, saying come and then making a fuss such as waving around an empty paper towel roll, or kleenex box, anything to get her curiousity going so that she would naturally come to me to see what all the fuss is about. Once she was by my side I'd give her the box or whatever it is I got her attention with and we would play around. This taught her that by coming to me something good awaited her and she would come running to me even before I finished calling her.

bubbatd

When you get a puppy , see if he/she knows the come command. Most good breeders will have aleady taught the " Puppy come "...one on one away from the litter starting a 5 weeks. It starts with patting the floor with the younger one and moving on to a food reward as they grow older. If your pup has not been properly socialized, it has no clue what you want, and you have to start from day one. Puppy, you're on the right track .... I wish you well when you do get a dog. BTY do you have " THE" book ??? I can't remember !

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
thanks for the help guys. whats ''THE'' book bubdatd???

skyhigh

"How to raise a puppy you can live with"

lol...Grammy you wont give up would ya? Haha.

Puppy

Bernese Mountain Dog!
i think ill get that from amazon. is it one the best out there?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
your idea is good, but keep in mind that you need to set your puppy up for success.

one of the biggest mistake many people make is calling their dog when something else is much more interesting than coming when called. unless the dog is on a long lead, you have no means to enforce your "come" command in case the dog doesn't listen. if you can't enforce the command, the dog learns that it is ok not to listen.

also, for the first few weeks, i would reward the puppy with a treat or toy every time it comes to you. that way you build a solid foundation for the recall and you can move on to what is called a "variable reward schedule" (not giving a reward every time) later on.

coming when called is one of the most critical things and you are definitely on the right track. :)

Members online

No members online now.