Cloth diapers! Anyone else use them or want to?

Cloth Diapers

• Yes for enviromental reason

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes for medical reasons

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Yes for money reason and cuteness

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No GROSS

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No too hard

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Dont know where to start but interested

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Shrimp Scampi

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I love when people are like "it's not more inconvenient to use cloth!". Truth is, it is. The amount of laundry it adds is nothing but an inconvenience to me (plus the fact I'd have to bleach the washing maching after every load, twice, so I'd be using that much more water). If you are fine doing laundry, then it may be less of an inconvenience to you.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yah see, to me, I'd run out to te store for diapers 10 times before Doing an extra load of laundry plus running the washer twice more (cause nothing with poop or pee goes through my washer without being bleached after. Nothing. Even if you rinse the poop first)

Kilter

As to the split pants, there are some parents who do Elimination Communication (aka EC) which eliminates the need for diapers much sooner. I'm considering trying it part time just for the heck of it, but it is really "out there" for most folks. LOL
With my second, we did cloth. Look on kijiji and there's often someone who bought everything then realized 'hey it's a lot of work' and then sold the whole package for cheap. We got a few deals that way, and I'm not a great sewer but it's not hard to make prefolds - a few layers of old towel between two sections of flannel, add some fleece patches and you have snappi friendly diapers. Ask anyone who has older kids, and they likely have a big stack of flannel blankets, everyone has an old towel stash too. The fleece came from a baby blanket with a stain, since I only needed a few inches per diaper it was fine.

Fleece also works for covers too, and that's not hard to sew so we had a few fleece covers (like training pants), as well as some wool ones. Most of my fabric came from the thrift store since wool sweaters aren't rare. The whole stash was pretty cute anyway! I also found some wool at the thrift store and knitted some covers.

And as 'out there' as it sounds, I started to realize that after my dd nursed in the morning for the first time, she'd have a blowout. Meaning change the sheets, it was a messy one! So, when she finished, I'd get up right away and go to the bathroom and beat her to it, have her on the counter and changed, then even faster and she hadn't pooped yet, so whatever, held her over the sink and in the course of a week, she was using the sink or an ikea potty for a lot of it. Yes, more work on my part but saved our butts when daddy forgot to pack spare diapers and we went out to grandma's for dinner. Every 15 minutes took her potty and she was fine, six months old and dry pants for the evening, can't complain.

Would I do that full time? I do have a life, so nope. But it was handy and saved a lot of poopy diapers to have her poop on cue. Many countries do that because diapers aren't an option.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
No kid's gonna be pooping in my sink. No way no how. I had a neighbour that did it though. More so the sink when the bathroom was being used, though. Poop in my sink is no my cup of tea XD

Kilter

No kid's gonna be pooping in my sink. No way no how. I had a neighbour that did it though. More so the sink when the bathroom was being used, though. Poop in my sink is no my cup of tea XD
It was just easier for me to stand and hold her there vs. the toilet and aim. LOL I'm at the point now where a bit of poop doesn't bother me, I just had cleaner on hand and running water, it was breastmilk poop too so more liquid than anything else.

To each their own, the idea of a cat on a counter makes me want to puke, but some people think nothing of eating toast that the cat has walked over and stepped on. :rofl1:

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yea poop in a sink is a little much for me, but holding the kid over a toilet or ikea potty? Totally! Honestly it sounds a whole lot like housetraining a puppy... lol

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I had to stick a poopy puppy in the sink when Jack ate a sock at 4 months old and had a "blowout" in his crate-lol.

Idk, I suppose at the end of the day I would just have to decide when the time came. It would be more work but the cost savings in diapers might make it worth it-water usage is inexpensive here and bleach is cheap. I think my sil said she saved something like $1000 a year doing it.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Weve saved 40 bucks a month on them JUST for Morgan. I dont know about Savannah since I have never bought her disposibles.

Not counting the gas to go back and forth from the store for them and the trips to the dump because of how much they would stink up my house.

We even use cloth wipes so I dont have to worry about buying wipes reguarly either. I just buy them when they mark them down to a dollar or so for the BIG packs of wipes for household use.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
The "studies" that show disposables to be carbon friendly are a load of nonsense. Mainly because they only take into account the greenhouse gas production to date. All disposables ever manufactured are still around. They have not decomposed, so they therefore have not produced their full quota of greenhouse gas. They have also not studied the carbon footprint of PRODUCTION.

With regards to laundering. You don't put poop in your washer. You rinse them off in the toilet first. Use a liner and halve the job. Dump vinegar into your diaper bucket and shake it and the urine is neutralised. You absolutely do not have to run your washer twice.

Diapers are one extra load every 2 days. That's it. So for ME its not inconvenient. Besides, I do not want those chemicals next to my babies skin.

Members online

No members online now.