Kidney Diet

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
So the vets recomend Science diet but any ideas on a better quality stuff? What about a raw fed kidney diet?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Well, there is a LOT of info out there on kidney disease and diets, it depends on how bad the kidneys are I think. Whole Dog Journal did a whole series of articles on it, I have a few of them photocopied and could mail them to you if you can't find them anywhere else.

Do your research if you're branching out from the SD. Science Diet K/D isn't the best option for every dog, but with damaged kidneys, I know you wouldn't want to risk making anything worse.

elegy

overdogged
try to get into the yahoo group k9kidneydiet. the last time i pointed someone there, they had a hard time getting in, but it is a fantastic group with lots of really knowledgeable, helpful people. there are a lot of home-cookers and raw feeders.

Kathy29

Dogs with a kidney problem, need a very low protein diet.
It's actually the phosphorus in the meat/protein that is worrisome. A low-protein diet can actually make the condition worse. Just be sure to properly balance the calcium and phosphorus levels. However, in the process of limiting the phosphorus intake, you'll probably end up somewhat limiting protein as well, since foods high in protein = higher phosphorus.

doglover83

It's actually the phosphorus in the meat/protein that is worrisome. A low-protein diet can actually make the condition worse. Just be sure to properly balance the calcium and phosphorus levels. However, in the process of limiting the phosphorus intake, you'll probably end up somewhat limiting protein as well, since foods high in protein = higher phosphorus.
Ah, really? I stand corrected. :hail:

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would urge you to contact Lew Olson at http://www.b-naturals.com

She is an expert (PhD) in raw diets for dogs, and can help you design a diet specifically suited to your dog.

She also markets many supplements that may be helpful to a dog with kidney function issues.

Members online

No members online now.