Frontline, Heartgard, and Raw Diet

angie8023

I love my Sancho
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes. Does anyone give frontline and heartgard to their dogs if they are on the raw diet? Sancho has been on both since I can remember and he is about to go raw. I have read different opinions on the subject from other sites. I am just looking to see what my fellow chazzers think:)

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes. Does anyone give frontline and heartguard to their dogs if they are on the raw diet? Sancho has been on both since I can remember and he is about to go raw. I have read different opinions on the subject from other sites. I am just looking to see what my fellow chazzers think:)
I have fed raw diet since 1984. Currently my dogs are on raw diet, interceptor ( instead of heartguard) and frontline. We have no problems at all..

elegy

overdogged
i don't feed much raw anymore but i used to. my dogs take interceptor as well, and i use frontline as needed.

lizzybeth727

What do the other sites say is the problem with feeding raw and giving frontline/heartgard? It doesn't seem to make any sense to me, but I'd love to hear their reasoning.

angie8023

I love my Sancho
A couple of people thought b/c heartworms aren't a big issue in their part of the county except for summer, they didn't need to give the dogs heartgard. They felt that the raw diet was making their immune systems so strong they felt it was unnecessary. Kind of weird.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
supposedly, a dog not given vaccinations and kept on a healthy raw diet will not need any heartworm or flea medication because it has a stronger, healthier immune system.

It actually does make sense. However, I'd rather vaccinate my dogs.

elegy

overdogged
ah, i thought that was where this was going.

a healthy dog is going to be less susceptible to disease to some extent, but i'm sure not going to bet my dogs' wellbeing on them being able to fight off heartworm. or distemper. or parvo.

Members online