Playing tug-of-war

emc

She's probably just play growling which is different when a dog growls when it means business. If she doesn't have an agrressive or dominant personality then I think it's okay to play this game.
----------------------------
http://waterart.50webs.com

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i think its just fine. but if teeth ever touch the skin, correct her and stop playing for the day.
also, i dont think you are suppose to ever let them win tug or war.

It is ok to let them win sometimes (if you dont then they will likely lose interest in the game eventually) but you should do it with a release command such as ""You Win!"" or ""Take it!"" something so the dog realizes you gave it up as opposed to him beating you. The pup should also know a release command for HIM to release it such as ""Drop it"" or ""Give""

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
tug of war is a game that needs if played at all to be done very gently. Do NOT MAKE THE PUPPY ANGRY. Since you have a golden, i would refrain and instead start your retriever training. A hallway is the best place where you throw the ball to the end and the puppy has to bring it right back to you. THis is a much more cooperative game and will not start aggression issues.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I LOVE playing tug with my dogs.

The important parts are:

YOU start the game.
YOU end the game.
YOU control the game.

It is a great exercise to burn off energy for a pup, and to teach the pup that bringing things back to you results in a fun game.

It is a super opportunity to teach the puppy to release as you trade for another object or a cookie. I graduate quickly to using the tug game as reward/release for other things. Sit. Good dog. Play tug. Come. Good dog. Play tug. Fetch. GOOD dog, play tug. :D

Playing tug can build tremendous drive for the pup to come back to you with objects he picks up so you can play.

Doberluv

I also like playing tug with my dogs. To me it is a cooperative game. (cooperative "killing.") LOL. I have rules: No teeth hit my skin, No leaping up and grabbing the toy from my hand, and the dog must "give" or "out" when I ask. (teach that as a seperate lesson first before playing tug. Trade for a treat, give back the toy, repeat. Add the cue word)

If the dog brings me a toy and asks to play, I play if I feel like it and don't if I don't. To me it's just like a friend asking me to play a game. I might and I might not. Jose brings me a tug toy often, drops it at my feet and backs up, wriggling all over. He's asking if I want to play. So, if I'm not busy, I say, "sure...let the games begin." So, as far as always being the one to instigate it, I don't agree with that one. But he must let go when I ask.

I let the dog win lots of times. I believe this builds confidence in a dog and I like a confident dog. Confident dogs are less apt to have behavior problems than insecure dogs. My son's dog, who was abused as a pup would never have dreamed of playing tug in the past. She now gives it all she's got. And I like to see that. It means she trusts the person she's playing with not to hurt or scold her. She has gotten 95% more confident in herself. That is one exercise we play with her a lot.

It's also a game dogs play with eachother. So, the old myth that it "teaches opposition," I don't buy. It's a game, pure and simple. But games have rules.

Doberluv

I agree Grammy. I don't like to get them too riled up or wild, at least not my big Doberman. He just stands there, bracing himself and we pull. He does his play growl and a little head shaking while I wiggle the rope toy back and forth. Then it's, "give." His little stubby tail wags and he play bows a little while he's playing this game.

jason_els

Yes, play growling is hilarious. My chessie did that. We had a game where he'd pick-up a stick and prance around growling. Then I'd grab another stick and immediately he'd drop his and want mine. Then I'd throw my stick, he'd retrive it, and I'd pick up a bigger stick. We keep going like this until finally he'd grab a sapling from the brush pile and drag it, trying to carry the whole tree. Other times he'd go out and come back and wait at the door with these large branches and then become very frustrated he couldn't get them through the doorway.

Members online

No members online now.