Would you die for your dog?

Xandra

Well, I don't know what "dogging hogs" means. Does it mean hog hunting with dogs? Because if that's it, I don't understand how that has anything to do with weather or not you'd die for your dog.
I think he means yes, because once the dog has the hog you run up and kill it with a knife, and of course if the dog is having a hard time controlling it, you run the risk of the hog getting you as well.

As far as the original question, I'm pretty much in the "wouldn't trade my life for his, but would risk it because I love him, believe in helping animals in general. and wouldn't want to live as a total pussy."

If he runs into a fast moving river, NO NEVER. I've read so many stories of people trying to be heroic and save their dog and the person drowns and the dog just pull itself out later, now ownerless. Dogs are pretty good swimmers, they know how to swim just like you do, so let them take care of themselves.

A fire or something is different. I'm not easily scared and I've never been hysterical "in the moment" so maybe I'm naive and arrogant but I have faith I'd work something for the vast majority of situations. May be I'm a little silly, but it would also depend on the dog being a little smart as well. Like, if the entire downstairs is an inferno and I manage to break the second story window or get a ladder or whatever, and Roman runs backward into the burning house, I'd be really upset and I'd still fish him out if I could, but I wouldn't risk myself as much as if I felt it was a mutual effort. Yes I realize he's just an animal and isn't really responsible for himself, but that's probably how it would go down in my head.

It's really hard to say what I'd do because so much depends on intuition and gut instinct.

Last edited:

Shakou

I think he means yes, because once the dog has the hog you run up and kill it with a knife, and of course if the dog is having a hard time controlling it, you run the risk of the hog get you as well.
I see. Still though, I know a lot of people who hog hunt with dogs that wouldn't die for them, regardless of how much they love them.

Xandra

I see. Still though, I know a lot of people who hog hunt with dogs that wouldn't die for them, regardless of how much they love them.
Well, if I'm right about the angle isn't coming at, it wouldnt' be a "Yes absolutely I'd die" but more of "I'd risk my myself."

But I'm not a mind reader lol, that's just my guess.

Flyinsbt

I don't know. I imagine I might do some foolhardy things to try and save my dogs. When Tully was being mauled by my neighbor dogs, I broke into the yard to save her, and afterwards some people suggested that was foolhardy because the dogs might have turned on me, but honestly, I didn't think they would attack me (they didn't), I didn't see myself as doing anything risky at all.

If I had time to contemplate, probably not. Not because I love my life more than my dogs, because honestly, I don't. But because I would worry about what would happen if the dogs lived and I died?

I'm single and childless, so I wouldn't worry too much about others depending on me besides the dogs, but I'd worry quite a lot about the dogs. Particularly Tess, who I think would not be easy to rehome. I suppose if we're going to get all hypothetical about it, if it were something that had already killed Tess, but Pirate was still alive, I'd probably be happy to risk myself to try to save him, since I wouldn't worry so much about him (his co-owner could probably find him a place pretty easily), and my heart would already be broken.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I would definitely risk my life for them if possible. More than likely it would be a quick reaction without thinking. In the case of a house fire, I don't think I could sit back knowing my dogs are stuck inside. Just couldn't live with myself if my dogs died in such a way with me standing outside doing nothing. Thinking about losing my dogs in such a way actually makes me ill. I'm especially scared of losing Cricket. I really don't know what I would do without her since she is my absolute best friend.

But ya I would risk my life to save my dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Shakou

Elaborating a little more on my own feelings. Like I said before, it's easy for me to say with my dogs safe and alive now that I have an obligation to the people in my life that love me, and that I'd never give my life for my dogs, but weather or not that's what would happen in that situation, I can't say for sure.

I can barely stand hearing about other people's animals dying in fires and other tragic ways. I can't imagine it being my own dogs. Especially if I saw them barking and clawing in panic at a window. The friend who died in that situation was hated by some friends and family for choosing to give her life for a dog, but for me it's a small step to empathize just imagining it in my mind. I think if I came home to a scene like that, I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt and shame that I didn't do everything in my power to save them.

Equinox

Like I answered on the other board, I would risk my life for my dog but I would not knowingly die for him. I mean, if someone had a gun and asked me to choose between myself or my dog, I'd most likely save myself. BUT if the house was burning down and my dog was trapped in there, I would absolutely run in after him, because the idea of him stuck inside completely terrified... that's not something I can ever just let go. If I do not know that I'll die for certain, I will take almost any risk to save him.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I don't know, to be honest. I mean, I'd like to say yes, and I set all my animals up for the best chance to get out of the house as possible (escape plans including them, sleeping areas/cages right by doors, carriers/leashes right by the exits, neighbours that will open doors or windows to give them a chance, etc) but... while there's a good chance my fight response (running in to save, etc) would kick in, there's an equally good chance my flight response would kick in.

noludoru

Bored Now.
This is hard enough, knowing I could have saved them and made a choice not to, I'm not sure I could handle that.
I think this is where I'm at. God knows I've done stupid **** to keep him out of trouble before. . . I think if I was given the choice of either him or me dying I'd pick me (well, maybe - some days I'm sure I'd jump in without a second's hesitation). If I was given a very, very risky situation with a chance of us both getting out I'd probably be all in. But, as Laurelin said, you never really know.

I don't want to find out.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I would not actively seek an exchange of life but I would risk my life to save them. I do not have children relying on me though, which would alter my risky behavior.
This. I'd risk my life for her, but if it was a one-two blam-blam she-lives I-die situation? No. Sorry.

LauraLeigh

It's funny because when I was trying to get into my house no part of me was actively thinking this is risky....

I just wanted in, and I now can see how people make "foolhardy" choices

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I'm in the same boat as many here. I feel Adrienne's response is best suited to my feelings, and how I would intend to react. But of course, fight and flight responses in times of emergency and adrenaline can do very strange things. Several folks who have been in those situations have spoken up on this thread saying just that. I don't know for sure what I would do in those situations, but thinking soundly right now I wouldn't put my life in extreme risk or knowingly sacrifice my life for any of my pets.

Maxy24

If there were time for a well thought out logical decision then no, I wouldn't die for them (or probably anyone). But in real life if my dog did something like jump into a dangerous river, or a huge dog was running at him to kill him I can't say that my immediate reaction wouldn't be to save him by jumping in or picking him up even though it's super dangerous and could result in my death.

Romy

Taxiderpy
No. I have two kids and am a single mom, my responsibility is to them.

Besides, it's really situational. I'm pretty level headed during emergencies and tend to break down later. Plus I worry a lot so rehearse random catastrophies in my head and make contingency plans. Like, what would happen if the bridge collapsed right now? What floats that we can hold on to? I'd have to roll down a window so I could get a door open right away! How fast can I unbuckle the kids? etc. because I am a dork.

Anyway, if my dog runs into traffic, it's not going to help them if I get hit by a car too. If they're drowning, it's not going to help them if I drown too. Or pass out from smoke inhalation, etc. The best I can do for them is set up situations to minimize bad stuff happening to them, and equip them to help themselves if I can't because I'm not always there. It's not foolproof, but it's the best I can do and life isn't foolproof anyway.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I think I would do the darnest to save them, but if its a lost hope then no I probably would not run into that burning house.

What got me thinking lately was all the flooding that happened in my area, and people where forced to leave their pets behind in their flooding houses. I thought long and hard. And I do not think I could leave my dogs behind. They probably would have to use force to get me to leave my dogs behind.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think I would do the darnest to save them, but if its a lost hope then no I probably would not run into that burning house.

What got me thinking lately was all the flooding that happened in my area, and people where forced to leave their pets behind in their flooding houses. I thought long and hard. And I do not think I could leave my dogs behind. They probably would have to use force to get me to leave my dogs behind.
Yeah, floods are horrible. We're on a hill, but if something biblical happened and our home was flooded, we have several boats. I'd work my hardest to get my whole family to safety. Our biggest problem is big earthquakes.

If it really, absolutely was impossible? I'd try to set them up to survive as long as possible until I could get back and rescue them. Like leave them on the roof with open bins of food and water, at least to last them a few days, and pin notes or something on them that says where we're sheltering and some out of area family phone numbers.

Actually, it might not be a bad idea have laminated emergency ID cards made up for the animals that could be clipped to their harnesses and stuff. I have some for my kids, and keep it them in an emergency bag in the car.

In the case of flooding there would be no way I would leave my pets, no freaking way. Same goes for forest fire (which for us is a bigger concern). To evacuate the city from my office I have to drive right by my house where my animals are I would be getting them. Even if I had to sneak in later.

No.

would i risk saving them? yes. In a heart beat. But if I relized while doing it, that it may be my life as well. well no. I love them so much. but in all honesty im not even 30 yet. I have 2 of them, plus a cat and a 20 year old turtle. Id still (hopefully) have my other pets and family (and fiancee) so no. if solo is out swimming int he lake and starts to drown, yes Ill go out for him. If a fire started, yes id try my darnest to save them all. but if its saving me versues them, then its me. like i said I love them so much. but a human life compared to a animals is more priceless. a human will prob live 80. while a dog is lucky to make it to 15. all in all yes i would try my hardest, but its not worth losing my life in the same sentence.

Miakoda

No. I have two kids and am a single mom, my responsibility is to them.

Besides, it's really situational. I'm pretty level headed during emergencies and tend to break down later. Plus I worry a lot so rehearse random catastrophies in my head and make contingency plans. Like, what would happen if the bridge collapsed right now? What floats that we can hold on to? I'd have to roll down a window so I could get a door open right away! How fast can I unbuckle the kids? etc. because I am a dork.

Anyway, if my dog runs into traffic, it's not going to help them if I get hit by a car too. If they're drowning, it's not going to help them if I drown too. Or pass out from smoke inhalation, etc. The best I can do for them is set up situations to minimize bad stuff happening to them, and equip them to help themselves if I can't because I'm not always there. It's not foolproof, but it's the best I can do and life isn't foolproof anyway.
This. You said what I poorly attempted to say.

Members online