My next door neighbors bred their dog

B

BlackDog

My next door neighbors have a male german short haired pointer. They bred him to their friends female german short haired pointer. Our neighbors kept one of the puppies. It's a male. He's 9 weeks old. They named him Shooter. The dad's name is Gunner. How often do you run into people that breed their dogs? Where I live people usually don't do it. That's why I was suprized to hear about my next door neighbor. I watched Gunner for a week last summer while they were on vacation. I took him for walks and he swam in the lake. He played with my dog. He's actually alot better behaved then my dog I'm sad to say. My dog is sneaky and real thinker. Ifshe can find a way to out smart you she'll do it in a second. I love her soo much though. Anyway, how often do you run into people that breed their dogs?

PFC1

Well, hopefully they know about the genetics of their breeding pair. . . but not knowing anything about the neighbors, there is no reason to assume that they do not have the knowledge regarding their breed to know their lineage, that they and them tested for joint displasia and other genetic disorders common to the breed, and all of the other information you would want to know as a reponsible breeder.

As far as "Gunner" and "Shooter" go, they are sporting dogs, after all.

B

BlackDog

PFC1 said:
Well, hopefully they know about the genetics of their breeding pair. . . that they and them tested for joint displasia and other genetic disorders common to the breed.
I would doubt they did know at least gunner's line. They got in from a friend up north who had a litter and used their dog for hunting. I could be wrong but I don't think they were tested for genetic disorders either.

Don't get me wrong. They are really nice people and if knew before hand I'm sure they would take the neccisary precautions but the average person really has no idea that breeding dogs is alot more complicated than simply putting two dog together and raising cute fuzzy puppies acople months later.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
My friend has a german short hair (female) and the neighbors had a male. They bred the two dogs together a couple years ago actually. My friend's parent's had no idea what they were getting into, they had no tests done on the mother (tests were done on the father though) they didn't know anything about puppies or pregnant dogs. On the day the puppies were born they ended calling me to ask me questions that I ofcourse didn't know (being a senior in high school). The poor dog ended up having to go in for a c-section and two puppies died because they didn't get her there soon enough.

bubbatd

And they wonder why the shelters are over loaded !!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
they found good homes for that litter and never bred the female agian. My friend kept 2 males and the sire's owners took a puppy too. the next door neighbor bought one and then the other two went to people that lived around us. I think they learned their lesson though.

Members online

No members online now.