Taxidermy or Freeze drying.....

Would you consider taxidermy for your special pet?

• Noway! It's just too creepy!

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • YES! Then my friend could be with me forever!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just don't know at this time.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I would have to consider the cost and decide based on that.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ewe, I can't believe you are even asking us this!

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters

ACooper

We were talking about this tonight after watching Criminal Minds.

Phoebe has been with us about 9 years now, and my oldest son doesn't even want to discuss what it will be like when her time comes :(

Anyway, due to the content of tonight's show, we brought up Phoebe concerning taxidermy. I googled and come to a website (a place in Colorado) which offers freeze drying........the end result is like taxidermy but more cost effective.

I don't know if this is something we'd actually do for several reasons........one of course being it seems a bit on the creepy side, LOL

I was wondering about your thoughts on the subject. Is this something you'd consider for your long time family friend? (money not being an issue of course)

If you could include a quick why or why not after your vote, that would be lovely :) I need some food for thought, LOL

Ohh, now I'm looking forward to watching the recorded criminal minds even more :D

Honestly, I wouldn't do it. It just seems too creepy for me. When my old BC died it was just my mom and I home and we had to wait the whole day for my dad to come home to bury him. So from 10 am to 6 pm we had him lying on the floor under a sheet. It creeped me out to no end and I didn't want to be anywhere near the livingroom.

I couldn't really imagine seeing my dead pet stuffed everyday. It would just bother me. It took me a good while to get used to not looking for him or thinking we had three dogs or seeing him out of the corner of my eye. It would take even longer if he really was still there, just stuffed. For me it would make moving on much harder seeing them in the house but not alive

I don't think I'm getting my thoughts out very well, but pretty much the idea of it bothers me.

Xandra

I'm not a prude by any means but as you said, it's creepy. And that's an understatement.

Saeleofu

I think it's creepy...

...regardless of whether my brother wants a "Rowdy" or not :rofl1:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
No, that's not something I'd ever do. It's just a body, I don't need it around to remember my friend. I'd rather get my pet cremated and bury their ashes and then remember them through memories and photographs of them.

Also, I've had quite a number of dogs in my life and I'm sure I'll have a lot in the future... it would get really quite strange to have a bunch of stuffed dogs all around the place...

Also, I've had quite a number of dogs in my life and I'm sure I'll have a lot in the future... it would get really quite strange to have a bunch of stuffed dogs all around the place...
But see, then you wouldn't have to have the photo album on the table of all your old pets. You start talking about old Fluffy and his antics and instead of pulling out a photo you can lead them over to his body to give them a real idea of what he was like

Xandra

No kidding.

I find taxidermy tacky to begin with and would never want any in my home. Let alone my own deceased dog lol

Doberluv

No way! It's not only super creepy, it would just kill me every day, over and over again, to see what use to contain my best friend...as a stiff, staring fixture. It would cause extreme conflict and stress to me. I just know it would.

Even in one of my poems I wrote about conflict with acceptance of the death of my Lyric, there were a couple lines: ."Are you here or are you there, it's hardly plain to me. Stay or go, don't haunt me so, this can not be the way" I wrote that because at first, it's just so hard to let go. So to have a "statue" of the dog staring at me all the time...well.....no way. It would make it so much harder to let go. And it would creep me out as well.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I wouldn't because after Buster goes there is no way I could handle seeing his body everyday and knowing that what makes him Buster isn't there.
Each to their own though.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
No couldn't do it. I couldnt stare at the animal I lost I don't think.

For me it's just much more peaceful to see Teddy's tree with his ashes buried underneath growing and thriving. it's like... NEW life from death.

Toller_08

Definitely not. I would find it incredibly creepy to have my dead dog's body sitting around in my home. I'd much rather remember him/her through the hundreds of photographs I have and my memories of him/her.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
No way. It's creepy and like others have said, I couldn't handle seeing the shell that used to be my pet. I think it would really mess with me seeing the BODY there... but knowing that the actual life isn't. I sometimes find it difficult enough just to look at Molly's clay paw print.

Lolas Dad

When it is Lola's time I'll have her cremated and in a small urn. Then when it's my time her urn will be placed in my hands. In addition I will be buried in a black T shirt that will say put the Fun back in FUNeral and black jeans. When I am laid out I want people to look in my coffin, see me in the shirt and then laugh there a$$ off. :rofl1:

And yes I am totally serious. I want people to have a fun time. I make people laugh now and I want to make the same people laugh when I am gone.

It will be the most undignified funeral the funeral director has ever had but he or she will always remember it.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Not only do I find it creepy, but there's no way a "stuffed" Auggie would ever be even close to actually reminding me of my little guy... it would actually be insulting to his spirit, IMO.

Boemy

I find the idea very creepy. Also, I would not want someone SKINNING my dead dog. Sure, they're dead and can't feel it, but still . . . NO WAY. What do they do with the raw, nude body afterwards? Ugh, I feel sick just thinking about it.

Gypsydals

I couldn't do it. Like what a couple of others have said, it would just be too hard to look at something that once contained my special pet and know that they are not with me any more. If I had a stuffed statue of them I would look at it everyday expecting to see "them" and not seeing it would be heart breaking all over again.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
No...

I could see myself getting a painting or a statue or a tattoo or something in honor of them, but not their actual stuffed body. Freeze drying is just scary. Ick. And, thinking of a taxidermist gutting my dog and all of that is disturbing.

Fozzie would make a really cute stuffed animal, though! ;)

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
No way, no how.
I know that with Ben I wanted to get his little body to the vet as soon as possible. In fact I freaked out because my father was trying to get me into the shower first. I literally screamed until he loaded me and Bens body in the car and took me to the vet.

Members online