Has Anyone Read...

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Has anyone had the chance to read "The Other End of the Leash-Why we do what we do around our dogs" by Patricia McConnel PhD?

I am just finishing it and it is such a facinating book. If anyone is looking for a new read - PICK THIS UP!!

Its all about why our dogs act the way they do and how we as a primate try and influence a dog with OUR behaviours and expect way too much when we dont "talk" the way our dogs do.

Its just fabulous and so interesting.

Doberluv

Yes, I've read both those books...very good. I really like for the love of a dog, so informative and sensative too. I don't agree about everything she says, but her books do give food for thought for sure.

lizzybeth727

LOVE the book. It's one of the first ones I suggest when I talk to someone who's really interested in training and studying dogs in general.

Plus I feel very attached to her dogs by the time I finish. :)

Maxy24

I like her books, I LOVED "For the Love of a Dog", I learned a lot about the brain, it made me feel smart lol. It's been a while since I read "The Other End of the Leash" I think it's about time for another read through, I have to do that with "The Culture Clash" as well.

So Carrie, When can we expect to see you book on shelves? :D That is something I'm looking forward to.

Doberluv

Oh Maxy! I'm getting discouraged. I have to revamp entire chapters....the ones to do with evolution and domestication. And where those ideas trickle into still other chapters, those have to be re-worked too. I must learn for next time, (LOL, as if there will be a next time) to do ALL the research I'm going to do first, not most of it....ALL of it. LOL. Then write. As far as the training chapters, they're coming along, but have more to do. Who knows if I'll ever get this done. I am getting oldish and time doesn't wait for me. I get into slumps and then back on the roll again, then another slump. It's a big book...have about 30 chapters done but most are rather rough. I think I just covered too many facets about dogs and dog ownership.

Word of warning to any writers out there: Never make your first stab at writing a book non fiction. LOL. It would have been so much easier to just write a story. Arrrrgggg.

Thanks for asking Maxy...very sweet. My answer in short is: I can only guess...maybe another year or two, depending on what happens otherwise in my life of course. :popcorn: I am by no means the writer that Patricia McConnell is. It just seems to roll right off of her fingertips. She writes well and I love the stories about her dogs. I, on the other hand have to really work at it and tend to ramble too much, as you can see in my posts. So, word economy doesn't come naturally to me. :(

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Word of warning to any writers out there: Never make your first stab at writing a book non fiction. LOL. It would have been so much easier to just write a story. Arrrrgggg.
HA!! I've been trying to write a novel for years. The words are all stuck in my head and I can't get them written down.

Members online

No members online now.