Tomorrow

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Tomorrow Juno is going to the vet to get HAPPY DRUGS.

She's just a complete neurotic mess (PWCorgi can vouch for this!), and her anxiety is too through the roof for me to be able to get through to her without help.

I have waffled around on this subject for the past... 2 years? Which, in my 3.5 year old dog.... is way too long for this to have been going on. I thought I could fix her without drugs. ......Yeah.

My fingers are ridiculously tightly crossed that a little Prozac can help bring her down to some level of normalcy.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Good luck! I definitely believe that medication has a place for anxious dogs, and I've encouraged clients to talk to their vets about it. I hope it works out for you and everyone is happier for it!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Yay for happy drugs! I have seen it work miracles. We've had owners who, like you, have struggled to kind of deal without..and have looked back at their now medicated and much happier dogs and their now better relationship with them and been very happy they went with the pills!

Good luck! :D

Lyzelle

Good luck! I hope it works for you, please keep us updated!

I understand the idea behind waiting completely. I keep thinking with more exposure, more work, more socialization...Zander will be "okay". I'm still wavering on it because he isn't a complete neurotic mess (usually), it's just at this or that odd thing and the world ends.

So do please keep us updated! I've been wavering for a while now.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yep, I tried sooo long without, thinking she just needed more exposure to things... which is ridiculous because she was never UNDERexposed. That dog has been accompanying me everywhere, ever since she was a pup. Places she has been hundreds of times, places that she used to love, now send her into an absolute panic. It's super upsetting, to say the least.

We did the Thundershirt (which helps with her mild SA, but does nothing outside the house). We did the DAP spray. We've done Rescue Remedy and other flower essences, and we've used all these things in combination. I would fool myself, if she had ONE good day I would think we were in the clear and making progress.

I'm not even sure why I had this aversion to going the medication route. I guess I've been in denial about how bad she is?

I love hearing stories from people who have seen wonderful changes in their dogs after starting medication. Hopefully my brat can be among them! :)

monkeys23

I hope it does awesome things!

Lol, drugs actually did nothing for Scout at all. I kept her on them for several months just to see if they would. Luckily she had zero side effects or problems being weaned off either. Of course neither did Rescue Remedy or Thundershirt. DAP in the house helped with a neighbor situation, but they've long since been evicted so no problems there anymore. Apparently more training to occupy her mind is our best weapon. Oh Scout, way to be unique!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Believe me, I hear you on the waiting. I should get some kind of shameful owner award, I waited for SIX FREAKING YEARS!

I hope drugs (and cheese, lots and lots of squeezy cheese) work as wonderfully for you guys as they did for us. Yay drugs!!

noludoru

Bored Now.
Southpaw, good luck. I will be crossing my fingers for you. Ant-anxiety meds have helped my friend's kitty with both his anxiety and his mysterious IBD-like symptoms that they've been trying to treat with diet changes and medication for the last two years.

Believe me, I hear you on the waiting. I should get some kind of shameful owner award, I waited for SIX FREAKING YEARS!

I hope drugs (and cheese, lots and lots of squeezy cheese) work as wonderfully for you guys as they did for us. Yay drugs!!
Don't blame yourself. . . Most people have an aversion to using drugs to alter mood/anxiety issues. It's an idea that takes a bit of getting used to, because you want to try everything else first.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
(and cheese, lots and lots of squeezy cheese)
Haha! She had pretty much an entire can of it yesterday. But she was definitely way better when that stuff got brought into the picture. Lamb lung? Naw still paranoid. Lunch meat? Let me chomp your hand off in my anxious state. Regular sliced cheese? I still hear noises in this empty park. But spray cheese? Oh okay maybe I'll try trusting you a teensy bit that the world isn't trying to swallow me up. :rolleyes:

So there is hope that cheese can be the cure, when combined with drugsss!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Also, if things get a little crazy during the first 8 weeks, hang in there! We had a period while Frodo's body was adjusting where he got worse, as in bark and lunge at EVERY person he saw kind of worse. I got so upset because it was supposed to make him better DAMNIT! So yeah, wonky stuff might happen, but it gets better...

SpringerLover

Bailey is happily in the club. We had a very scary situation happen with a cat before I tried medications (after running bloodwork and doing a bunch of training). It gave me that trainable window of opportunity I didn't have before.

Good luck tomorrow.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I have never regretted for one second putting Pip on medication. I hope it helps Juno.
Awesome to hear!

I have never been so excited for a vet appointment. I really wanted to get her in today! Once I finally had it in my head that YES I'm going to do it... I wanted to do it NAO!

spiffy

Prozac, Clomicalm and Reconcile are some of the anxiety medications given to dogs to help resolve behavioral issues. Prozac is a human medication prescribed for the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. Prozac for dogs has a different formulation but the medication has the same function of controlling the dog's problematic behavior.

Here's hoping that the HAPPY Drugs really make Juno happy. Goodluck!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

SpringerLover

Awesome to hear!

I have never been so excited for a vet appointment. I really wanted to get her in today! Once I finally had it in my head that YES I'm going to do it... I wanted to do it NAO!
I assume that means you're going through your regular vet? Bailey's was prescribed that way initially but like Lauren said, just be aware it can get far worse and without knowing the ins and outs of side effects it can be worse because--the body is adjusting to the medication or because it's the wrong medication for the dog.

Still, good luck! :)

Members online

No members online now.