I'm Going to Breed Roxy Mae

RD

Are you dead yet?
Of course people have to start somewhere. My problem is people who start breeding for the wrong reasons, without knowing what they are doing. I plan on breeding in the future, but I wouldn't dream of doing it now, when I don't know a ton about it and when I am not in close contact with other experienced Border Collie breeders. Should I have a question, they would help. That's the point of having a mentor, they help you and teach you.

I do have to say, people on this dog forum (and others) are very quick to judge when the subject of breeding comes around. It's made me take my questions about breeding to RL breeders that I know, just because I get exhausted with the constant suspicion, judging and nit-picking done on forums, especially by people who do not know or understand my breed.
Personally Pro, if you wanted answers without the bashing, I would have gone to a dog show and gotten acquainted with a responsible, experienced Chihuahua breeder (or someone who knows one) and sent my questions to them. JMO.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Khristine said:
these forums freak me out! making me never wanting to come back..

i was going to ask a question about breeding, but i see how touchy this subject is on these forums. When you are looking for an experienced mentor.. how do you go about without hundreds of you people bashing one another?

the most experienced breeders have to start somewhere im guessing. Good luck to you Pro!! goodbye Chazhound Forums.
Oh well i know its too much but you have to take and bad with the good. i would have helped you or answered your questions as i am a responsible breeder.

Ash47

Taco Dog
You are right Rip. I should have done that first. I am going to do it, but just thought I could get nice replies back on here. Mainly I was looking for bubbatd and L4P to give me honest opinions just on the subject of breeding. And I did get that. They were very nice to me. Everyone else, I really didn't listen to, because they don't truly know what they are talking about. That is why I didn't really worry about it.
Don't leave Khristine. I love hearing about your little dogs, as I have one myself. Just don't worry about people on here. They get really flustered and think they must say things that should not be said.

Tiffer

I just wanted to say, Pro47, Angel kind of looks like your precious Roxy Mae. You can't really see it in the pictures I have in my signature but Angel's face really resembles your furbaby's!

bubbatd

Pro....keep asking questions when the time comes ( two years ? ) . This is where you hear many opinions and you can separate the shaft from the wheat.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I just wanted to say good luck with the breeding in the future, I hope it all goes really well for you and Roxy Mae. I think the most common health problem in Chihuahuas is 'Patellar Luxation' (dislocation of the kneecaps).. so make sure you can test for this in some way. My Chihuahua has this condition and she had to have surgery.

Also, reguarding the head shapes of Chihuahuas, I've always known it as 'apple-head' or 'pear-head'. I think Abby has a pearhead because her muzzle is a bit longer (not so bunched up), .. her eyes don't poke out either - they are set really nicely (Chihuahua's eyes shouldn't bulge anyway). Can you imagine what breathing difficulties the chihuahuas with really short muzzles would have? :eek:

I found this interesting page about the shape of a Chihuahua's skull:
http://www.the-british-chihuahua-club.org.uk/AboutUs/Skull.php

One very relevant and overlooked issue has been brought up here: the fact that standards for toy and companion breeds do tend to be completely cosmetic. That is just wrong! As Pugs pointed out, being a companion IS a job for a dog, and the dog must have the proper temperament to be able to do that job, just as a Border Collie must be able to use that stare or a Retriever have the instinct to return with the bird. It's unfortunate that the AKC and other organizations are doing such an effective job of destroying these characteristics in the pursuit of their own standards of beauty.

Members online

No members online now.