Need to get this off my chest.

necterine0

I know you guys have been here a long time and have probably been over and over this topic. But being new at this and having just came across it, i have learned a lot in a short time. I have to say, thank you chazhound for this forum so i, and many others could learn. And thank you for all the people on here that are sharing all of their knowledge, and important information with others like me.

Thank you shreadhead for the thread that you started (never buy Imas) I was doing a search on home cooked and found it.

Never buy Iams dog food. Recent searches have found Iams to be doing cruel tests on dogs. NEVER EVER EVER buy dog food from Iams. Its probably not even good for them.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/
http://www.iamscruelty.com/videos.asp

I have been going over the site you posted now for three days. I have watched a lot of the video's..I have to tell you i am so upset that i had to come on here and let it all out.

I want to go to the highest mountain top and shout out to all these people...What are you doing!!!!!!!!...Why are you torturing these poor helpless animals!!!!!!!!! What did they ever do to you!!!!!!!! .Gosh! I am so Mad!! :mad:

I am guilty of buying the dog food from these companies.I use Imas. I have contributed to the torture of these poor animals!! And i am sick over it. I don't know why i didn't know this. maybe i did but i just ignored it. I knew they used animals to research but not to that extent. I did not know they were suffering. Playing dumb, and be oblivious to it was just to easy. But never again! Not after what i have seen and read in the past few days. I will not buy another product of any kind from any company who uses animals to do their research. I will from now on do research to make sure that i make the right choices.

Peta has brochures that any one can get to pass out. I am going to get some and pass them out to all the vets and shelters in my area.

I am now needing a new food for my babies..I have been reading up on Holistic brands, and will be throwing out the rest of the Imas, and buying healthy food for my little ones.

I thought it was going to be hard to find, who does, and who doesn't use animals to test..This is what i have found.

http://www.allforanimals.com/alternatives1.htm

I am a little bit happier finding this site. But I will not be satisfied until all those companies stop what they are doing. If this message gets out to enough people, and they quit buying their products, Then one day their will be no more tortured animals.

Lists on that site:
Companies that test on animals
Cruelty-free companies...choose to be cruelty free.

WOW! Going to take a little time to change over....But a few things at a time is all i can do. Starting with my little ones.

well i never knew any of that. i dont feed iams but its ver popular here, i think people think its the best because its so expensive

Well, that's half the story.

The other half: http://www.iamstruth.com/

Even though I'm a vegetarian and like some of PETA's information, you always have to take their information with a grain of salt and try to discover the facts about the situation before making up your mind. So read both sides, then decide for yourself. Personally I don't buy IAMs because it's not very good quality.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Welcome to the good side necterine0!!! :D You dogs will thank you for it!! And hopefully soon you will begin to feel less guilty! Good for you for getting the message out to unsuspecting people!! I like to tell people not to buy it when i'm in the shop and they are looking at it!

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
homelessdog said:

Even though I'm a vegetarian and like some of PETA's information, you always have to take their information with a grain of salt and try to discover the facts about the situation before making up your mind. So read both sides, then decide for yourself. Personally I don't buy IAMs because it's not very good quality.
I think both sides have a lot to lose if one or the other comes up a liar. Iams,Purina and all of them, though will probably be deemed the "good guys" in this fight (unfortunatly) because PETA has made such a sensation of themselves and soooo many people don't support their acts. I have to agree though that IAMS just isn't the quality food my pooch would get if I didn't homecook (even according to my vet who thought I was a loony for switching off pre-made) and that IAMs probably does stuff as a corportation that the highups don't know about. (or choose to ignore) The fact of the matter is, try getting hunters for instance to not feed their dog iams because peta says so and they'll probably go buy another few bags and tell their buddies to do the same. If however you can prove without a doubt that a)they harm their dogs in these studies (my first thought, I'll be honest, was that wouldn't they have to test out the food to make sure it was quality? I mean people test human food to see if it tastes good and if it will sell...jmo)
b) it is a very low quality food that could harm their dog in the long run (some of the population loves thier dog but figure they're not eating the best, why should they spend more money on their dogs food them themselves?)

you prove that (not through peta articles) and you have probably won the battle. This is just my opinion. My husband was vehemently against doing something because peta said so since he really protested some of their practices and zealot-like behavior/attitude. I found articles and showed him ingredients (and proved that me cooking food for Sunny was cheaper) and told him what you guys said and it went miles further then the peta articles. ALSO He's seen the change in the pups coat, that it is softer, he doesn't have dandruff anymore, sheds less, and his fur just shines now. The dog will speak for itself once the food change is complete and a week or so has gone by.

As far as the Iamstruth site goes, it's just a company spin site. You certainly can't expect to find any accurate truthful information there. That's like trusting RJ Reynolds to give you the whole story on tobacco!

While I don't agree with everything PETA advocates - and disagree strongly with some of their tenets, they do gather useful information and they are in a position of having to be able to back up their assertions with fact. If not, they would be open to libel judgements that would crush the organization. You don't see these companies rushing to sue PETA for libel too often, and you can count on it - if they could shut PETA down with libel suits they would.

From what I've seen and read, NaturaPet really sets the standard for care of the animals who test their products.

Renee750il said:
...If not, they would be open to libel judgements that would crush the organization. You don't see these companies rushing to sue PETA for libel too often, and you can count on it - if they could shut PETA down with libel suits they would.
http://www.iamstruth.com/iamstruth/...JYW22NVQFIAJ2IYCQ?li=en_US&pti=RP&articleID=6

The October 11th 2004 update found near the top of the page addresses some "facts" PETA published.

The reason I post this??? It illustrates the need to gather all information before drawing any conclusions or taking anything at face-value. And while I don't use Iams for my cats or dog, I would seriously consider gathering "facts" from a more reliable source than PETA. And I'm not saying PETA is invalid....just that when it comes to Iams, I'm getting the impression they're airing everything they can - fact or fiction - and withdrawing information on a case by case scenario.

Again, Andrew, the official company site is even less trustworthy than the PETA site. Not saying that everything PETA puts out is gospel - it's not. But it's a far sight more reliable than the spin Iams/Eukanuba puts out. Right now, the corp. is losing retail outlets; many reputable retailers don't want to be associated with Iams/Eukanuba anymore, so corporate is doing anything possible to put a positive spin on their practices.

You just won't get "facts" from the corporate site.

homelessdog said:

Seems like its Iam's futile attempt to bring customers back. Honestly, i dont believe anything that they say. These big companies only care about one thing, money. Either way, theres no way to justify and fix how they treated those animals.

-Jon

I'm used to looking at sources of information and evaluating them. It's not that I think so highly of PETA; it's weighing the different probabilities and consequences of misinformation. In this case, PETA has more to lose by making itself vulnerable with false information, and Iams/Eukanuba has everything to gain and nothing to lose by disseminating false information.

PETA has released false information in the past and they continue to do so, so it's hard to trust them. You may think they have more to lose by lying, but they see it as more publicity.

necterine0

Bassetlover

well i never knew any of that. i dont feed iams but its ver popular here, i think people think its the best because its so expensive
It is popular here to, but it is not that expensive here. It is a couple dollars more than most, but less than others.

homelessdog]Well, that's half the story.

Thank you for the site.

Ok I am a person who likes to take in both sides. I spent some time going over the Imas truth site. I went to every link that they had on there. I was impressed with the reports from the site reviews. But In my opinion that is just one aspect of their testing. They said it was a feeding test site, run by Imas. Nice clean place. Lucky dogs to have gotten in on the best part. But what about the other testing. Mussel, lungs, skin, kidneys, liver, eyes, teeth. Imas does not own or operate the site where the animals are tortured. But they do hire them to do the study, and testing after being fed a diet of Imas. Yea they were not starving, you could see that. So in my opinon they are still guilty.

Gustav said:
Welcome to the good side necterine0!!! FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT="You dogs will thank you for it!! And hopefully soon you will begin to feel less guilty! Good for you for getting the message out to unsuspecting people!! I like to tell people not to buy it when i'm in the shop and they are looking at it!
Thank you. And i will remain on that side. I want to feed my animals a better grade food. and after compairing i have found that the other foods really are not good for them.

Yea sunnypup. ditto to what you said.

My dogs have suffered from itchy flaky skin for some time now. We will see how they do with the new food.

Renee750il. I would have to agree with what you had to say. And thank you for pointing that out.

AndrewF said:
http://www.iamstruth.com/iamstruth/en_US/jhtmls/article/IT_Article_Page.jhtml;jsessionid=VF20WPJYW22NVQFIAJ2IYCQ?li=en_US&pti=RP&articleID=6

The October 11th 2004 update found near the top of the page addresses some "facts" PETA published.

The reason I post this??? It illustrates the need to gather all information before drawing any conclusions or taking anything at face-value. And while I don't use Iams for my cats or dog, I would seriously consider gathering "facts" from a more reliable source than PETA. And I'm not saying PETA is invalid....just that when it comes to Iams, I'm getting the impression they're airing everything they can - fact or fiction - and withdrawing information on a case by case scenario.
I see your point. That is why i went to the other site to gather more info. But I ask you, who is a reliable source? Who do we trust? In the end i would have to trust my gut.

This is not just about Imas. It is about all the companies out their that are testing their products on animals. From personal products, to home and yard products. Their is no reason to use animals in the day and age to test these products. As i posted before this site will tell you who is using animals and who is not.

http://www.allforanimals.com/alternatives1.htm <-------A site worth checking out.

Thank you all for all of your insite on this subject.

Members online

No members online now.