Attention while on a walk

nattirex

Got a new dog Chase, he is part hound and part shelty, here is the problem...

In side the house or in our fanced in back yard he is responding better daily to sit and lay down commands (only had ihm 4 days). My frusttration is that when on a walk I cannot get him to sit at corners in a timely manner and if there is another dog within his sight he ignores me completely even when i get down on his level and speak right in his face. i am trying very hard not to yank on the leash unless he puts himself in danger ( wlkaing in the street when a car is coming) but he is jeckyl and hyde in his behavior outside and inside!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You've had him four days, give him time to bond and adjust! Just keep repeating and enforcing what you want him to do and it should stick eventually.

But it takes at 2 weeks to begin to feel comfortable in a new home and about 5-6 weeks for the bonding process to be almost completed. Don't expect miracles out of him just yet!

nattirex

Thats good to hear, I have owned dogs all my life but always had my father to assist in the training and I dont recall what kind of time frame things took place.

You might try putting a few pieces of kibble in your pocket and reward your pup when he is close to you. It should help him to pay better attention. Congratulations on your new pup!

Yes, deffinately give him time to adjust! Also, I'd work on the things you want him to do in a non-distracting environment before expecting him to be able to do it in that distracting of an environment. Get some really yummy treats, and reward any and all attention that the dog gives you, any time the dog looks at you, toss um a treat. lol you'll be suprised how much more attention you'll get! You can also reward anything and everything you see the dog do that you like. The more you reward a behavior the more it will happen :). This also goes for behaviors you don't like as well lol so be careful! Your dog finds many things you do rewarding including, looking at him, talking to him, yelling at him, Anything you do with the dog is rewarding to him good or bad, so if you see him doing something you don't like, ignore it if you can. Or stop it by saying NO, or make a sound to distract him for a second then get his attention / redirect his attention onto something You Want him to be doing, such as chewing on a bone or chew toy of his own :). Hope this helps

~Amy~

Members online

No members online now.