IBD Help for Uncle Fred- any ideas?

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Uncle Fred has some form of irritable bowel disease. My vet thinks it has something to do with his malnutrition and huge parasite load as a pup. He had bloody mucousy stools for months and months after I got him. Then, with a steady regime of Flagyl, Metamucil, Rice and chicken kibble (Kirkland- can't afford more), and home cooked chicken backs with pumpkin and sweet potato he was fine. For a long time.

Then almost a month ago he got into the garbage and ate boneless(thank goodness for small favors) Kentucky Fried Honey Barbecue wings. My son had just returned from college and wasn't thinking when he tossed the debris into a little bedroom garbage can.

He started with the blood and diarrhea, and he shed his entire intestinal mucosa ( further details I will keep to myself- unless you really want a better description) The vet found nothing in his blood or stool- just a flare up. Now, I know it will take at least six weeks for his mucosa to be back to normal, but I am making no progress at all. Some days he is better, some worse.

I think the heat is making it worse, too. Repeat visit to the vet yielded no further info- he wanted to test him for an amylase deficiency, which he clearly doesn't have since he was fine for a year.

Besides pumpkin, sweet potato, and fiber, and Flagyl does anyone have any ideas to get him to heal.

BTW- throughout all this he feels totally fine, bright eyed, playful, energetic. He has lost a little weight, and his appetite is iffy, but then it always is unless you grill him a burger- which he isn't getting until he is better.

Looking for brainstorming.

Incidentally, (sorry in advance about the details) he really doesn't have diarrhea. He starts with solid, formed stool, then shifts to softer stool, then small amounts of blood and mucus repeatedly. This happens every morning. If he eats grass at the dog park, it is through his system within an hour, but then he has no more stool until the next day.

Saje

Island dweller
Health food stores carry it. I know that IBS is different then IBD but Aloe really makes my IBS flare up. Few things irritated my guts like that! But that's just me and I really believe that aloe helps heal so hopefully it helps. For me, enteric coated acidophilus has literally changed my life. I don't know if it would help here but it might be good to know :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ohh, yeah, acidophilus would probably not hurt things. The Aloe might help as well.

(And hey, I'm feeding Kirkland right now too, so highfive! :p )

milos_mommy

When my eskie had IDB we fed boiled chicken and white rice for a week to calm it down.

Health food stores carry it. I know that IBS is different then IBD but Aloe really makes my IBS flare up. Few things irritated my guts like that! But that's just me and I really believe that aloe helps heal so hopefully it helps. For me, enteric coated acidophilus has literally changed my life. I don't know if it would help here but it might be good to know :)
Ouch . . . . the aloe cleared up my dad's and a friend of mine's IBD, and I've used it a couple of times when Bear had a bad case of volatile bowels.

Oh, and I've had success with buttermilk with a couple of animals too. Forgot about that.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Oh good, this is what I was looking for- some things to try. Even if it winds up not helping, it will make me feel a heck of a lot better. I have the strong sense that I am having a much harder time with this than Uncle Fred.

The aloe and acidophilus, especially sound like good ideas.

Buttermilk is awesome :)
LOL! All my bunch thinks so . . . but especially Kharma. Just the sight of a buttermilk carton sets off crooning and drool dripping :rolleyes:

My mother had a cat with some sort of IBS . . . we even named him CJ, short for Crapper John, MD (Mom's Devil). Once we discovered he loved buttermilk, that was the end of the IBS.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
poor UF! Trav was having her "issues"--and we had to change her food to one with less fat content. We had her on Canidae--now switched to Canidae Sr. which she is tolerating well.
I hope you find something that works out!

Members online

No members online now.