Is this normal?

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Cali had gone in for a dental appointment last week, on Wednesday, and lately, I'm noticing that she's wheezing. My mom describes it as a "snuffle/snort". I've only noticed it within the past couple days, but my mom says she remembers it starting after the dental.

I'm just wondering if this is normal or if I should be calling the vet. If she's still doing it tomorrow, I'm going to try giving them a call... but I would like to ask because I'm getting worried. I can't imagine what else would have caused this because nothing in her daily life has changed.

ETA: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/respiratory/c_dg_noisy_breathing#.UfMJeY1JOAg

I am in no way trusting this, but this has me thinking it may or may not be permanent. I know that's likely why they get you to sign a consent form, but I am hoping someone on here chimes in to say this side effect is normal and that it will eventually go away.

It happens because of the tube they put down the dog's throat to administer anesthesia, it varies by the dog and the person that put it in, if you're worried about how long its been going on, there's no harm in calling your vet.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Okay, I was thinking it was caused by the entubation... I just don't remember it happening when she got spayed.

I'm hoping to get a hold of the vet tomorrow, but thank you for your reply because I was getting worried.

Okay, I was thinking it was caused by the entubation... I just don't remember it happening when she got spayed.

I'm hoping to get a hold of the vet tomorrow, but thank you for your reply because I was getting worried.
They may have used a tube just a half size too big. I've been there, unfortunately. The size smaller is too small and the size bigger is just a tiny bit too big, it'll cause the coughing and wheezing. I always loved explaining that to owners. :( Hope she's OK!

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Should her breathing eventually return to normal?

I'm just relieved that this should only be temporary... not only is it nerve-wracking, but I think her being a toy breed only makes my worrying worse.

Should her breathing eventually return to normal?

I'm just relieved that this should only be temporary... not only is it nerve-wracking, but I think her being a toy breed only makes my worrying worse.
It SHOULD. If its not better ten days from the date of the procedure, I usually advise people to seek veterinary care. Unless you see blood, she's vomiting, unable to eat, or running a fever before that time.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Okay, tomorrow is the ten day mark so I'll be sure to call. Her behaviour is normal, and she's eating as she normally does, so I don't think it's necessarily bugging her. However, it worries me and I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
They may have used a tube just a half size too big. I've been there, unfortunately. The size smaller is too small and the size bigger is just a tiny bit too big, it'll cause the coughing and wheezing. I always loved explaining that to owners. :( Hope she's OK!
Yep this. Especially for dentals they want to put in the biggest size they can, to really seal the airway so that they don't aspirate any water or other gunk that's in their mouth during the procedure.

Still doesn't hurt to call especially if it's not going away.

JacksonsMom

Jackson had it for about 10 days after. It had started to worry me. I called the vet after like the 5th day and she thought it sounded like reverse sneezing, but I doubt it, because he didn't have it that often before the dental. But yeah it ended up lasting maybe 10 days or so and then it went away. :)

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Cali's is starting to get better, but you can still hear it when she gets excited. I took her to a horse show today and she started doing it when she saw people on the bleachers.

She does reverse sneeze sometimes, although I don't know if that's even what it is. It might just be plain sneezing, because it never sounds anything like the reverse sneezing I heard on informational videos. She usually only does it if she drinks super fast.

Members online