How do you pronounce...

Today a local dog fb page posted a picture of a flier of a missing dog. The dog was described as a dobie mix with 2 back dewclaws. Someone noticed this and after some discussion we came to the conclusion that it was a Beauceron but they had written dobie mix as more people would know what that is lol.

Anyways

Someone asked how to pronounce Beauceron and I got to thinking about dog breed names that are hard to pronounce. What are some breed names you used to get wrong (or maybe still do lol)

My big one is Samoyed. I know its sammy-ed but my brain still reads it as sa-moy-ed

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
A lot of people I run into know what my dogs are but they stumble over 'papillon'. A good portion of people asking about my dogs say 'pap-ill-on' but the correct way is 'pap-ee-on' (more or less).

I'm pretty sure everyone on Chaz knows this but just in case!

milos_mommy

I didn't know how to say Keeshond for a while. I said it like it's spelled, "Keesh-ond". Samoyed as well.

I think most of the others I figured out pretty quick, I watched a lot of videos on different breeds even as a kid, plus I'm pretty good at phonetics from different languages/regions. And a lot of the books I had on dog breeds had pronunciation keys.

I'm always surprised at how many people pronounce dachshund wrong, especially since they're such a popular breed, and German isn't a totally unfamiliar language to most americans.

Maxy24

I pronounced Cane Corso wrong for a long time, I said it like it's spelled (Cane) but now know it's con-yay.

I don't know a single other person who says Dachshund correctly, most say dash hound.

I said Beauceron wrong as well (said byew instead of bow).

I said mali-noise instead of malin-wa for a LONG time.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there are more.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Really though mal N noise is acceptable after you've heard them. :)

Dogo and Dogue always have people stumbling at my work. Also entelbucher sennenhund.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
My french immersion past has had one benefit lol - I haven't had any issues with Papillon, Beauceron, or Malinois.

Cane Corso though I still always want to mispronounce (cayn) and end up correcting myself. Ugh!

Equinox

I have no idea how to pronounce Entlebucher or Azawakh (long or short a's?) or Sloughi. I can't pronounce - or spell - Xolojfewifjasaeciadentini either but at least I can just call one a Xolo or Mexican Hairless.

I got off easy with Beaucerons because I was at a dog show and overheard a handler talking about hers. Malinois are a different story... I went from "Mali-noise" (was talking to a Terv owner who very kindly corrected me) and then a few years later I decided it was "Mal-annoy" :rofl1: That time I was speaking to a dog handler while admiring her Malinois, but again she was very kind about correcting me on the pronunciation.

I always get thrown off by Samoyeds. I don't know why, but in my head they are pronounced "Sam-a-yoid" (ummm ...:confused: ) or "Sam-oi-yed". I must have heard it somewhere as a kid and it just stuck. I do know the correct pronunciation, but I have to think about it for a second every time.

I didn't know how to say Keeshond for a while. I said it like it's spelled, "Keesh-ond".
Crap. How do you actually pronounce it?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Also wondering that :rofl1:

I've almost completely kicked the noisy mal habit, and just learned about samoyeds from this thread. I think I will give up speaking about dog breeds, lol.

crazedACD

I don't pronounce Samoyed properly either, and I don't care either :D.
I have no idea how to pronounce Entlebucher or Azawakh (long or short a's?) or Sloughi. I can't pronounce - or spell - Xolojfewifjasaeciadentini either but at least I can just call one a Xolo or Mexican Hairless.
Keeshond is Keys-hund. Azawakh is Ah-zah-wok. Sloughi is Sloo-Gee :). No idea on the Xolo or Entlebucher :D.

I was trying to enunciate Caucasian Ovcharka yesterday and I ended up saying it in an oddly Russian accent I think :rofl1: .

JacksonsMom

I pronounced Cane Corso wrong for a long time, I said it like it's spelled (Cane) but now know it's con-yay.

I don't know a single other person who says Dachshund correctly, most say dash hound.

I said Beauceron wrong as well (said byew instead of bow).

I said mali-noise instead of malin-wa for a LONG time.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there are more.
All of these for me at one point! LOL

I'm pretty sure the list is long and I have no clue lol.
Cane Corso used to get me as well. Kees I knew because a friend had them as a kid, Sammy's we had, you say doxie right and people will correct you lol.

I've had so many people ask or just point and say "B-eww-ker-on" :rolleyes:. I had someone who lives in France once tell me (she use to post here, hasn't in forever) most people say it there in two parts vs us saying it in three, Beauce is a location in France + ron. I usually tell people to help them "Say Bow-tie, now say Rice-a-roni, now say Bow-sir-own" ;).

I cannot for the life of me say Entlebucher Mountain Dog.
I read it years ago somewhere that it's said "Ent-lay-boo-kerr" With emphasis on "Ent".

My problem is "kooikerhondje", I read something about it being said "Koi (like the fish) kerr hund", but, I don't know.

For the longest time I said Dogo (Argentino) wrong. Then I watched a documentary and it's actually Do-go. Now I correct myself all the time.
I also said Cane Corso wrong too but I know the correct pronunciation.

My friend has a Beauceron and continuously calls her a Boo-sir-on. It really bothers me. lol Then I make a point to say Bow but it never works.

I'm sure there are a lot more. Especially uncommon breeds with weird names.

And I do believe it is Koi-ker-hund. :)

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
I assume that was a spelling mistake?

In any event, before some
breeder of Corsi sees this and has a fit,
it is not pronounced "con-yay".

For those who don't know
and who actually care,
here, about half-way down,
is the actual pronunciation:

http://heracleums.org/tools/pronunciation/it/of/cane_corso/

crazedACD

I assume that was a spelling mistake?

In any event, before some
breeder of Corsi sees this and has a fit,
it is not pronounced "con-yay".

For those who don't know
and who actually care,
here, about half-way down,
is the actual pronunciation:

http://heracleums.org/tools/pronunciation/it/of/cane_corso/
I assume this was a pretentious mistake? I'm going to assume breeders have more important things to do then troll forums to correct people on the proper pronunciation of a breed, unlike some people.

From what I've read/heard, Kahn-ay is the most proper but con-yay is acceptable depending on who's saying it in what accent. I'm not an expert but I do believe it is a bit variable.

Members online

No members online now.