US Inland flights?

GipsyQueen

Where are they cheapest to book? I want to fly to the US next summer (for the first time in ages :( ) Initially, I want to get to Charlotte, NC, but Charlotte is basically the most expensive airport to fly into, internationally and a flight into Boston costs oh 400€ less.

So I want to fly into Boston, visit some Rhode Island friends and then take an inland flight down to Charlotte, which costs somewhere between $130 and $200. I have no idea where its best to book though. I usually book through expedia.de, but their inland flights in the US are far more expensive than the same flight on expedia.com.

umterps97

i usually browse Expedia, Travelocity, or Orbitz, and then after I find the flight I want, I book it on the airline's website. It seems like that saves a few bucks.

However, be sure to check the Jet Blue site, too. They generally don't show up on Expedia type sites, but they fly direct from Boston to Charlotte, and are usually very reasonable.

CaliTerp07

Kayak.com is my favorite--it indexes all the other search sites. umterps is right though, in that jetblue (and southwest) don't show up on the major travel sites. You have to look at their sites individually.

milos_mommy

Jet Blue is usually cheapest, but the service definitely reflects it. I've only flown with them once, and it was disorganized to the point of being annoying without really causing a problem, but heard from others that they're known for boarding the plane, then having a delay, and keeping passengers sitting on the tarmac for HOURS. I guess it's sort of hit or miss...you can save a lot of money if you're willing to risk it.

Otherwise, Southwest is usually pretty cheap, and they fly everywhere. You can find cheap flights if your dates are flexible...and sometimes you can save enough where even staying over in Boston might be worth it...

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I normally start with kayak.com since I find it generally lists out the cheapest prices... and you can select to compare with expedia, travelocity, orbitz, etc.

If the place I'm going has its own airline, I'll check their website. For instance, I'm probably going to be booking flights for Iceland in the next couple of months- and Iceland Air has the most affordable prices so I'll book directly though them.

If you're going to be booking from Boston to Charlotte, I'd look directly into some of the smaller airlines' websites: Spirit, Southwest, Jetblue, etc.

Also, if your dates are flexible, you can normally search +- 3 days to see if you can come up with anything cheaper.

Don't forget to google for "coupon codes" or "promo codes" for your airline of choice right before you book. You may be able to find a code for a certain percentage off depending on your flight :)

GipsyQueen

Thank you!!!
I had never heard of jetblue - so I would have never thought to look there. :p
Southwest flights seem pretty cheap so I'm prob. going with southwest. I just have to check on the luggage regulations, since I guess you guys have to PAY to check in luggage (wtf? Who flys without luggage).

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Thank you!!!
I had never heard of jetblue - so I would have never thought to look there. :p
Southwest flights seem pretty cheap so I'm prob. going with southwest. I just have to check on the luggage regulations, since I guess you guys have to PAY to check in luggage (wtf? Who flys without luggage).
Most airlines now you have to pay for baggage... I believe the only one that isn't like that here yet is Air Canada -- and they were switching shortly. I think it's like, $25 per bag within the certain requirements.. like under 50lbs and up to 62" combined L+W+H. Something rediculous like that.. I know when I went to Florida, my bag JUST fit within the size requirements.. like, to 1/4" :rofl1:

umterps97

Southwest is one of the only airlines left where you don't have to pay for luggage, if you're only checking 1 or 2 bags. You can fly out of either Providence (since you mentioned going to RI) or out of Boston. You could fly into either Raleigh/Durham or Greenville, SC, since Southwest doesn't fly into Charlotte.

Good luck! :)

Members online

No members online now.