Snarls at Kids... Please help, needed.

Well, we brought Shadow in yesterday, after we got her back. And she was laying in the chair, and Jesse and Jazmine were curious about her, and wanted to pet her. they are 1 and 2. And she snapped at Jesse when he was petting her. How could I correct her behavior? They were pestering her too. And she just got back home from running off. And I want to convince my mom that she is good with kids, that is the first sign of agression in her... Yes she is fairly old, 8 years on her. Thank you for reading! (and no bashing because she ran off)

Doberluv

And I want to convince my mom that she is good with kids,
Why? So your Mom lets her guard down and a baby gets bitten again, perhaps seriously? I don't think it's a good idea to convince your Mom of that. This dog has bitten a small child. The child (presumably) stepped back and stopped doing whatever it was the dog didn't like. The dog learned that snapping/biting works to get what she wants. She will do it again.

Your dog may have a medical problem....pain can make a dog bite because she's afraid of getting hurt. The first thing to do is get her checked over by a vet.....physical exam as well as thyroid and other blood work. Thyroid imbalance can cause personality changes.

Please keep her away from children. If there's nothing apparent from the vet exam, you need to get professional help in to work with your family and this dog. You need a well known, well respected behaviorist who doesn't use harshness or aggression to treat things like this. But who knows how to show you how to make these kids seem more the way adults are perceived by the dog.

If I were you, in the meantime, I'd remove furniture privelges from the dog and start a strict NILIF program. Keep those kids safe.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/nothingfree.htm

I'm sorry this has happened.

Well she didn't bite him, and she has gotten hit by a car once. And that has been bothering her. We put her outside so she couldn't. We are hopefully taking her to the vet on Thursday. :) She is a very nice dog, and she is great in the house, but if she is going to do that then we are not keeping her in the house.

Doberluv

And she was laying in the chair, and Jesse and Jazmine were curious about her, and wanted to pet her. they are 1 and 2. And she snapped at Jesse when he was petting her
Well she didn't bite him
These two statements confuse me. You mean she snapped but missed her mark or was threatening to bite? In either case, her intention is dangerous. Was there no growl preceding the snapping, no warning? What did you do when she snapped? Has there never been in the past any hint of her being worried when kids come close?

A snap is actually considered a level one bite. You NEED to talk to your Vet about finding a behaviorist to help you.
Making any kind of excuses for the dog snapping at a child is a bad idea. Kids are too unpredictable to be safe around a dog who has shown that she's not comfortable with them. You need to get help to remedy this situation.
Please keep the kids and the dog away from eachother until you can get some proper help.

Julie

I am back again.
She got hit by a car? And then she ran off again? I think someone needs to take some responsiblity for this dog.

She also should not be around the children anymore..... the next time could be much worse.

Is the dog on petfinder her sibling?

*Another thought about the person who wrote the petfinder ad,

How can a dog suppose to weigh between 50 and 90 lbs? That is a major difference.

Carolyn

ZooMaster!!
Hi there, firstly I"m not going to "bash" you because she ran off. Accidents happen although it is up to you as her owner, and the one who loves her, to do everything in your power to ensure she cannot escape..

Doberluv, great advice as always :), and of course to all the other wise people here. Aside from needing professional help with your dog, in the interim, there are simple things you can do to help work on these problems. As stated you need to start some training with your pooch ( if you haven't already) NILIF as already been said, is a great start. Do a search for NILIF, and a world of info will come up. She should not be allowed on furniture, as I'm g uessing she already sees herself above your young children in the "pack."

Your dog needs to be made aware, with positive training and reinforcement, that she is below ALL of your family members in the pack status. This means no furniture, no up on the beds, commands for all actions. You decide when she gets fed, petted, played with. You as the Alpha make the rules. Give her a warm comfortable bed on the floor (below the furniture), that she can call her own, and somewhere she can go for time out from the kids and everyone. Also constant supervision, is always required between young children and dogs. Do not put the kids or the dog in a position where she can snap, or bite at them.

Good luck with your dog

Ild like to help but can't because BD is all hackles and bark when on the cable run, or off lead he will relent to their attention, and cowers and piddles when on leash when kids are present

Well I'm just going to say what mostly everyone else said. The next time could be much worse, you need to get a trainer, after you go to the vet. I personally would never allow a dog that has snapped or even growled at my children (when i have them) or my family members stay in my household. They did it once, they will do it again, especially if you child backed away, Doberluv was right, the child backed away... you dog now knows how to scare him or her. Just becareful, I love my dogs greatly but if they showed any aggression towards me or my family that is disrespect, and I would need to keep them away until I could get professional help.

I think you just got this dog last week? I know it's hard and it's not what you want to hear, but this may be a good time to reconsider whether this adoption is working out. If there are small children living with you, or visiting frequently, this dog might be unsuitable for your household. From the description of this dog's mate at the shelter, it sounds as if their previous owner did not care for them well, or have them very well trained or socialized. I realize it's wonderful to rescue a dog, but sometimes you have to rescue an easier dog. You have a parent to contend with, small relatives, another dog (who, by the sounds of earlier posts, is a handful himself:)) and a snappish, high-energy Weim from a neglectful home might not be the right dog for you. I read your post about your Golden, and I'm very sorry for your loss. I know I've made bad decisions in the wake of a dog's death, and had to return one dog to the shelter when it became clear that I'd chosen an unsuitable animal. Be open to the possibility that Shadow might be happier in another situation, and your family might be happier with another dog.

Ok, I understand where everyone is coming from. ^^ My dogs never get off their chain.. Never. I don't like this happening... Hershey somehow got off of his chain... :( Someone had to let him off, and it wasn't me... I hope their kennel gets fixed soon.... I also know that Shadow was more than likely underweight if her mate was.. :( We are keeping her away from the kids.. Yes she has gotten hit by a car once.. And I am keeping a closer eye on her. :) She has a ID tag now, and Hershey is staying closer now! :D

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ild like to help but can't because BD is all hackles and bark when on the cable run, or off lead he will relent to their attention, and cowers and piddles when on leash when kids are present
Hannah does that too, to adults. She doesn't pee though when onlead. Usually she's fine when on leash just on a chain or offleash on our property, anywhere else she's fine.

Members online

No members online now.