nail clipping!!

My dog hates nail clipping
whenever he sees it, or i try to cut off nails, he whines, bite the clipper, run away and do all sort of things..
one day my brother tried to cut the dog's nails, and i dont know what the heck he did, but the blood poured out, and didnt stop.and it was like 12 at nite, and we didnt have any amnimalhospital #...
and after that the dog fears the clipper much more.
what should i do? :( :confused:

Fran27

Remember that they have a higher pain threshold than us so it probably didn't really hurt him.

In any case, I hear you, it's a nightmare to do Boris' nails too :( I usually let my husband do it, and he gives him treats at the same time so that he understands it's not such a bad thing.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
No way! It DID hurt him! Dogs may have a higher pain threshold (By the way, where do you hear that, I dont believe it a bit), but you know how it feels when you cut your nail too short? It blood poured out, its probably that pain X 100. Its cutting a vessle, cutting living stuff inside it, so I would be scared too if that happened to me. Careful of that quick!

Fran27

Ok so I guess that wasn't so good :( When my husband did that to Boris, he didn't seem to care at all.

moe

Dogs can be more stoic than people, it would have hurt like hell, but being a dog dosnt SHOW their pain, you must ALWAYS avoid cutting the quick.

Mo

Athe

I couldn't begin to count the number of quick's I have cut on dogs. For Customer dogs when nail clipping it happens, it happens to Vets, groomers and even boarding attendents :D
The way the dog reacts is all in how the person clipping handles it. I don't get upset, I don't coddle, I just stop what I'm doing grab the Kwik Stop and then carry on with a "Good Dog". The moment the person panics, gets upset, hugs the dogs and makes a big deal of it is when the dog realizes that the pain you just inflicted was really horrible as my owner is really upset.

From a go forward bases handle the dogs paws and reward and treat without having the clippers any where near. Then bring the clippers over after doing the desensitizing technique for a few days, and clip one nail (just the very tip, don't try to take off as much as you can, just tip the nail....the very end) this way you are sure you are not going to cut a quick and you can clip one nail praise and treat, clip next nail praise and treat. Then stop, wait till the next day and do 2 more nails. Soon you will get your dog over his fear of possible pain.
Once you are comfortable then start clipping a little shorter, the nail recedes the more you trim. ;)

showpug

Fran27 said:
Remember that they have a higher pain threshold than us so it probably didn't really hurt him.

In any case, I hear you, it's a nightmare to do Boris' nails too :( I usually let my husband do it, and he gives him treats at the same time so that he understands it's not such a bad thing.
Dogs DO NOT have a higher threshold for pain than humans. Studies have been done that prove dogs feel pain the same way we do. However, they naturally cover pain up better than we do. They have to as a defense for when they lived in the wild. If they seemed mamed or injured...they would be gobbled up :eek:

As far as the original post goes...you need to start the process over again and re-gain your dogs trust. Start with touching the feet daily, followed by a cookie. Then hold the trimmers while you touch the feet and give a cookie (no trimming yet)...after your dog is comfortable or will at least tolerate you touching the feet then clip one nail a day, followed by a cookie. Pretty soon you will re-gain your dogs trust. It is also important to make sure you give your dog a firm growling "NO" is he/she tries to bite you or the clippers. This behavior is not acceptable.

I also agree that it hurts dogs when they have their nails clipped to close. I have to take my Corgi to the vet to have them done. The last time she cut one nail to close, because Chloe wiggles and struggles so much. Well...Chloe cried her head off, and favored the foot all night long. It hurt me so much to have her in pain. :( Poor baby. It's time to take her in again, and I'm really dreading it because of what happened last time.

Dena

Athe

I find different dogs react to cutting past the quick differently. With the Newf's I don't think they even noticed the times I cut past their quick. I have also had some dogs in for a pedicure and bath and never noticed I cut past a quick until I saw blood in the bathtub. Some dogs just don't seem to notice, and some dogs like my Rottweiler will squel and squawk if you even dropped a cotton ball on her paw :D attention hounds :)

I haven't clipped my girls nails yet. We have either the vet or this dog grooming place do it. I am thinking of getting a nail clipper, just so that when they just need a teeny bit clipped off, I can do it myself without spending the money on somebody else doing it, and they seem calmer with me fiddling with their paws instead of someone they don't see often.

I gave both of my dogs baths today and they got their nails cut...on Rosco, my older dog, I came really close to clipping his quick when he yelped and pulled his foot back, I didn't get it thankfully, but when I was clipping the puppie's dewclaw, I got the quick, he didn't flinch. I don't know if it was because it was on the dew claw and he didn't feel it(?) or if he just didn't care. As soon as I saw the blood I got nervous, but he handled it like a champ, I def. need to pick up some quick stop in case that happens again. I was so nervous doing the puppies because his nails are black.

Is it true that the more you clip the dogs nail, the quick will regress and the nails won't grow as long? I think I read that somewhere but I'm not sure.

moe

corn flour is good too for steming the blood it helps it clot, just dip the injured nail into the cornflour.

Mo

yanya

I accidentally clipped a nail to far once...out came one drop of blood. :eek: Kairi didn't even realize what had happened. I'm scared more of the clippers now than she is... Why did they ever start making dogs with black nails?!

Members online

No members online now.