Cropping ears at home.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
I'm against ear cropping. I'm against any procedure on a dog that is for cosmetic appearances only, and unless a dog is actually having problems with their ears, cropping is 100% because the owner just wants it (most of the time just because they like the "look").

I worked as a vet tech for years. We didn't do ear croppings, but we did deal with a number of them done by other vets and the dogs for the most part were miserable. Yes, there are some out there who have dogs who haven't had a problem - but there are a LOT who do. I wouldn't want to chance it just to have a certain "look" to my dog. To make my dog's ears pointy to satisfy my own ego would be completely wrong to me. Instead, I just get pointy-eared dogs to start with .. *L* .. I refused a show doberman once because they insisted I get the ears cropped (they wanted to give me pick of the litter).

I can't see how people can compare a spay or neuter to a cropping. Spays and neuters are for health reasons, or to keep their dogs from adding to the pet over-population problem. It's not a selfish reason. To me, cropping ears is completely selfish. Why create any unneccesary pain to your dog, even if it's just a little? That's why I don't tend to use punishment in training, too. I don't want to add pain to my dogs when it's not necessary.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
I'm against ear cropping. I'm against any procedure on a dog that is for cosmetic appearances only, and unless a dog is actually having problems with their ears, cropping is 100% because the owner just wants it (most of the time just because they like the "look").

I worked as a vet tech for years. We didn't do ear croppings, but we did deal with a number of them done by other vets and the dogs for the most part were miserable. Yes, there are some out there who have dogs who haven't had a problem - but there are a LOT who do. I wouldn't want to chance it just to have a certain "look" to my dog. To make my dog's ears pointy to satisfy my own ego would be completely wrong to me. Instead, I just get pointy-eared dogs to start with .. *L* .. I refused a show doberman once because they insisted I get the ears cropped (they wanted to give me pick of the litter).

I can't see how people can compare a spay or neuter to a cropping. Spays and neuters are for health reasons, or to keep their dogs from adding to the pet over-population problem. It's not a selfish reason. To me, cropping ears is completely selfish. Why create any unneccesary pain to your dog, even if it's just a little? That's why I don't tend to use punishment in training, too. I don't want to add pain to my dogs when it's not necessary.

I agree, 100%. I'm very glad I own natural breeds that don't need this work done. If I did own a dog that was traditionally one way, well, it wouldn't be that way in my home. Tradition doesn't excuse it, IMO.

Luckily I rarely have to engage in this debate, since my dogs are natural breeds. But if I ever have to, I always hold my ground.

Boemy

Seriously, bras SUCK. I'm on a different, non-pet message board with 99% female posters and someone posted "Do you wear your bra to bed?" WHAT! Are you kidding me?? The majority of the posters, like me, toss the evil thing aside as soon as they get home from work.

B

Bobsk8

Maybe people that have their dogs ears cropped should also have to have a piece of their own ears removed.. I bet that would bring the cropping to a screeching halt ;)

tamflo

I do believe that that is against the law, at least in Michigan. You have to be a licensed vet. And alot of breed standards have changed as far as having to crop the dogs ears.

nancy2394

I have not read through this entire thread. So, if I repeat what some have already said.. I'm sorry.

I have mixed feelings on ear cropping. My mom has had dobies for years and hers have always had their ears cropped. It didn't seem to bother them at all. I like the look of the dobies better with their ears cropped.

I think that if it is done by a responsible vet that it's okay. I know a lot of you would prefer the natural look to a dog.. and I do too for the most part. But there are some dogs that have ear trouble and would benefit from cropping. And then of course there are the dogs that get it done just for looks.

Home cropping should never be allowed. Any surgery is done with sterile technique. How can they do a sterile procedure at home? Besides.. what are they using for tools.. a pair of household scissors or a knife from their butcher block on the counter.

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
I think those "ear trouble" croppings, from the start, have been disproved. At least by breed that is.

If an individual dog has ear problems, which absolutely require cropping (which is probably rare) then I don't have a problem with it. Same with docking. Other than that, it's cosmetic. Not prevention.

nancy2394

I think those "ear trouble" croppings, from the start, have been disproved. At least by breed that is.

If an individual dog has ear problems, which absolutely require cropping (which is probably rare) then I don't have a problem with it. Same with docking. Other than that, it's cosmetic. Not prevention.
I agree.. it probably is mostly cosmetic. That is part of the reason I have mixed feelings about it. I know some say it's barbaric and traumatizing to the pup.. causing terrible pain. I have just not experienced seeing that kind of response to cropped ears. I've seen several pups after the cropping that acted like it was nothing more than a nuisance to them. I'm sure there are other cases that do not fit that description.

My whole thing is that home cropping should not be allowed. If you are going to get the ears cropped, go to a reputable and qualified vet to have the procedure done.

I get the sense that many are against the cropping because it's an elective procedure for cosmetic reasons. And that it's inhumane to put your dog through such a procedure for looks. I know it's not the same thing.. but I was wondering what you would do if you had a child with very large ears that stuck out. There's no medical reason to have them pinned back or altered to look more "normal". But people have that done for cosmetic reasons. Is that wrong?

Members online

No members online now.