Votes: 31 41.3%
  • I think its silly to try to call them something new

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • chocolate covered raisins.

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

Dekka

Just try me..
I have noticed some people calling pittie types pibbles and just wondering what others thought.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
It used to bother me tremendously when people would call them "pibbles" because it goes to the OTHER extreme side of the spectrum and makes me think that it's coming from the people who want to think they can just take their APBT out to a dog park and let them play with ALLLL the other dogs because "pit bulls are sooooo misunderstood and look at the wittle, itty, bitty, cuteybuttface pibble. AWWW".

But, I honestly do not care anymore. AS LONG AS the person who says it, and owns one, knows that they SHOULD NOT take an APBT to a dog park and realizes the propensity for dog aggression the breed has, and that they just plain and simple take responsibility for their dog and are smart about their ownership of the breed.

ETA: I voted "Chocolate Covered Raisins". It just simply fits how I feel about it.
I mean, I care more than NOT caring, but not enough to be seriously offended by it. And I definitely don't think it's great.

elegy

overdogged
i find it vaguely annoying, but whatever. at least it construes friendly type feelings toward the breed.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I see it along the same lines of calling Malinois "Melonhead" or calling a Corgi "Bunny Butt". Just a nickname and no big deal.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
I kind of find it annoying, but I don't really care.

What I found funny was one time I was walking Rebel and someone asked me if he was a "pibble" and I said "No, he's an APBT". She was like :yikes: and quickly walked away :rofl1: Not the brightest girl in the world! LOL

Dekka

Just try me..
I find it kind of annoying, but I think its cause the people that I meet who call the pibbles seem to be the rainbow unicorn and butterfly types that think every 'pibble' if raised right will love fluffy bunnies and other dogs.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I think its just a nickname, doesn't bug me at all.
as usual, its the person using the word who pisses me off more than the word itself lol

Oh and I will forever call Romeo my little munchkinbigheadawahwah lol

Dekka

Just try me..
Thats different Fran, that doesn't annoy me. Now if you called every chi "a little munchkinbigheadawahwah" that would annoy me.

Thinking about it, it might also annoy me be the assumption that there is something wrong with APBT that they need a cutsie name to make them acceptable.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
It bothers me - probably why "dobie" bothers me.

Granted, I bet all the Chi people will hate me for this but I call them chih-HOO-uh-HOO-uhs.... it makes me giggle. :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Thats different Fran, that doesn't annoy me. Now if you called every chi "a little munchkinbigheadawahwah" that would annoy me.

Thinking about it, it might also annoy me be the assumption that there is something wrong with APBT that they need a cutsie name to make them acceptable.
Oh I misunderstood. I thought they were calling their OWN dog a pibble
like "aww look at my little pibble"

oh then yea, it would kind of bother me. They have a proper name, and I think it would give people the idea that they were 2 different breeds or something.. or that a "pibble" didn't have any of the problems that APBTs do. but they do, because they are the same thing

Dekka

Just try me..
I see dobe or dobie the same way I see 'pittie'. A little cutsie but not an attempt at white washing a breed.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat

Granted, I bet all the Chi people will hate me for this but I call them chih-HOO-uh-HOO-uhs.... it makes me giggle. :)
lol I don't hate you. I think all the funny names people come up with for Chis are pretty hilarious.
Chis, ChiHOOuhHOOuhs, TacoBell dog, Munchkin dogs.. but I think THAT is just harmless nicknaming.
but I think the pibbles thing is more than that.

I say Dobie.. lol my bad. I say Rottie too.. I just like the -IE sound at the end of things, it makes it sound cuter.
I also say Squirellie and Horsey and things like that lol

I have a friend who calls all dobermans "Pins" since Min-Pins are the Miniature version lol
as in "What a cute Pin!"
people usually have no idea what shes talking about but I think its funny lol

~Tucker&Me~

I see it along the same lines of calling Malinois "Melonhead" or calling a Corgi "Bunny Butt". Just a nickname and no big deal.
I agree.

Why does Dobie bother you? Just curious - I use the term sometimes. I know they are called Dobermans, I am not trying to make them into something they are not, it's more of an I'm lazy and dobie is easier to say than doberman... :dunno:

Me and my boyfriend sometimes refer to pitbulls as pitti-bulls. He is dying to get one, so it's just an affectionate term. For example, if we were walking down the street and I saw a pittie I might turn to him and say something along the lines of "Look, a pittibull" :) Obviously not loudly so the owner heard, just a term we use because it's fun to say I suppose.

Meh, I just don't see it as a reason to get my panties in a knot :lol-sign:

(Just want to add though... It's different if that's all people know them as or if people are legitimately trying to change the name of the breed... But as a nickname? Nah.)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I saw pibble when I am talking in a cutsey wootsie baby voice about how cute the widdle pibble puppy is! :D

But if I'm just refering to a Pit Bull type, I say Pittie. Pibble only comes into play when I am squeeeing over how cute it is.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
I actually don't know if I say Pibble. I got scared and went back to the baby lukes page, and apparently I said Pitty, so I guess thats okay?

I say it as a nickname, but then again, I don't own a breed, I own a mutt.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I just tend to say pit in real life. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'pittie' or 'pibble', just pit or pit bull. Just like I never say 'paps' in real life but I type them.

Eh... nicknames don't bug me too much, really though.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I don't know why, but I don't like it... I call them pits in real life.

I don't like dobie... I use Doberman in real life and dobe online.

I hate when people say taco bell dogs or chi wees (cringe). I call them chi-hoo-ah-hoo-as sometimes. Haha.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I voted that I love it, but maybe I misunderstood the question? I don't call all pit bulls "pibbles," just mine.....

I call Sally a pibble all the time, for a couple of reasons--first of all it's cute, and I think that she is cute, so it works out well for a nickname. Secondly, she is a generic "pit bull type." She could be a mix or not, and we don't really know, so pibble works well---"pit bull mix" is long to say, APBT or Amstff is inaccurate as far as we know, and if I describe her as a "pit bull," especially in dog circles, I am often told that there is "no such thing." So, she's a pibble or a pittie or a bully breed, or whatever.

As to whether the fact that I call her a "pibble" has any bearing on how I view pit bulls and dog/dog interaction.......Well, Sally does not go to the dog park, nor will any pibble (ha!) I ever own, does not stay out loose with Jack while we are gone, and I have spent tons of time and money (in trainers) working with her dog issues to help me help her be a better behaved canine citizen, so you tell me.......:)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
To me "pibble" sounds like you have your mouth full and I get this mental image of somebody slobbering all over themselves going "PBBBLLL." Though like blackrose says, if it's in context of "baby talk," it doesn't really feel as awkward. But just as a word on it's own, I find it unusual, awkward, and annoying. Like "pittie" isn't cutesy enough or something? Weird.

Members online

No members online now.