Tapeworms, how do dogs get them? Are their any effects from the medicine?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
We took Holly to the vet today and I told them that I saw a worm and her poop and I described it. The nurse said that it was tapeworm (it was a flat worm). They gave her a shot that they said would clear it up along with her rabies shot. Now I just took Holly outside and she pooped and it was watery. I called the vet right away and the girl answering the phone said she would have him call me back when he was out of surgery. I know she's still adjusting to the Innova but it was starting to firm up and now that she has gotten her shots it was watery agian. Should canned pumpkin help her at all? I also called to inform the breeder about the tapeworms and they said that she was for the most part an inside dog and only went outside when someone was out there. They did live on a farm so she was constantly in contact with a horse and some other animals. They said they would pay for her shot, as well as the ear medicine that she needed because her vet didn't detect them before she came with us and our vet said she probably had the worms prior to us picking her up and the ear infection was definetely before we got her.

B

Bobsk8

We took Holly to the vet today and I told them that I saw a worm and her poop and I described it. The nurse said that it was tapeworm (it was a flat worm). They gave her a shot that they said would clear it up along with her rabies shot. Now I just took Holly outside and she pooped and it was watery. I called the vet right away and the girl answering the phone said she would have him call me back when he was out of surgery. I know she's still adjusting to the Innova but it was starting to firm up and now that she has gotten her shots it was watery agian. Should canned pumpkin help her at all? I also called to inform the breeder about the tapeworms and they said that she was for the most part an inside dog and only went outside when someone was out there. They did live on a farm so she was constantly in contact with a horse and some other animals. They said they would pay for her shot, as well as the ear medicine that she needed because her vet didn't detect them before she came with us and our vet said she probably had the worms prior to us picking her up and the ear infection was definetely before we got her.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Thanks! We did treat her for fleas with frontline plus before we brought her home. We stopped and bathed her at the petstore and then put the frontline plus on right there in the parking lot and we still have 2 more months worth of applications for her. We treat Hannah with the same stuff as well. I just worry about the watery poop now.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Thanks! We did treat her for fleas with frontline plus before we brought her home. We stopped and bathed her at the petstore and then put the frontline plus on right there in the parking lot and we still have 2 more months worth of applications for her. We treat Hannah with the same stuff as well. I just worry about the watery poop now.
your supposed to wait 24 or 48 hours (cant remember) before or AFTER bathing to put frontline on...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
48 hours before and after Frontline, don't bathe or soal the dog....
Oops. Oh well, she still has 2 treatments left and I search her a lot and can not find fleas on her, or Hannah. She needed a bath for a couple mornings after getting her first treatment because she kept pooping in her crate so that was inevitable.

kanji

In general they suppose to work for all but I don't know if they really does it - that's a good question...

bubbatd

I am lucky !!! None of mine have had any worms for over 30 years . No sprays , no soaps , etc. Just K9 Advantix and Interseptor . Yes, it's a monthly expense , but worth it for me and for them . I'm down to only Ollie now , and would love another dog , but can't afford the wellness program for another .

yalma

I don't know if you can count on something that works for all...didn't you advice a vet in addition?

Julie

I am back again.
I know this is kind of late..... but there are OTC oral tapeworm meds that are equal to the high priced oral vet prescribed tapeworm meds.

The active ingredient would be praziquantel. There are many OTC brands now.. but tradewinds come to mind.

Julie

I am back again.
Forgot to add:

Dogs get tape worms from infected fleas...that were swallowed.
Or they can get tapeworms from rodents that they ate, that were infected or that had infected fleas on them.

Debi

and even tho you put the flea med on.......they (the fleas) were probably already ingested. once the tapeworm is gone, all should be fine now. :)

Members online

No members online now.