Nails

Katem

I dremel the dogs and clip the cats. Bear gets done maybe once a week, more likely every other week. His nails don't grow very fast, so I could get away with doing it less often. Pig's nails on the other hand seem to grow as I'm doing them, so she gets done every few days. Sometimes I will dremel and then apply preparation h to help her quicks recede. Right now I'm dremeling Badger everyday, but just a teensy bit and not every nail at once since he's still getting conditioned to it. I could probably knock out all four paws in a single session since he's been taking it like a little champ, but I don't want to push him.

The cats are clipped when I see their nails are getting long. Sometimes that's once a week, sometimes every three weeks or so. Their nails are weird and don't seem to grow at any consistent rate.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Most success I have had to date is with a very cheap pair of guillotine clippers from amazon. They are sharp and very quick. I thought they would be really hard, but so far so good.

We still have to use excessive clicking and treats, but I get waaaaaaay more success than I do with force :)

I've done dremel, normal clippers and these have deffo been the best.

Dremel takes forever, and Fred now associates peanut butter and the noise with NO NO NO. So that's out.

The other clippers just didn't have the force for his big black nails.

The guillotine, I can slot the tip in and snip a sliver off fairly easy.. Although our nail escapades mean I can't use any direct force, or hold his foot to do it yet, and I am only allowed to do a couple at a time!! Although he let me do his front feet the other day! Just the ends, but hey, it's better than nothing! His back feet look like talons.....

I never do bodhi's. ever.

FG167

I clip and dremel. Well...Jason clips, and I dremel haha. I despise clipping but sometimes with crazy work/training schedules, it's faster just to clip. I prefer dremeled nails and do that when I have time. We do one or the other every other week. I am short nail obsessed!

I LOVE Kastle's feet, I love tight, big padded feet :)

Eden's are difficult because they grow at different lengths...due to the cankles

Limit's are harder to keep short, the quick's are just long.

Less often than I should... usually every two weeks? I'll go through phases of not doing it for long enough for him to start clicking, then I'll trim them every couple days (in tiny increments) to get the quick back... and then I get lazy again XD.

We have a dremel, but haven't done the work to get him conditioned to it yet, so guillotine clippers it is.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
For those that clip and dremel, is there a reason you clip instead of always dremeling?
Because I sort of hate dremeling... the dust always gets in my eyes, it takes longer (for me at least, I can clip all 104 nails in like 20 minutes), and once I got the dremel caught in my hair so I have a personal issue with it.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I was just curious, I thought maybe I was missing something with the clipping. :eek: I'm the opposite I hate clipping because I'm always worried I'm going to quick someone so I much prefer dremeling and use it exclusively. Luckily the girls are really good about it.

Torch

Does anyone who clips have a particular brand of clippers that work really well and stay pretty sharp?
I've had the same set that I bought from my vet almost 10 years ago. They're heavy duty and stay sharp. I think I paid about $50 for them. The brand says "Miller's Forge" and that they were made in Italy.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
and once I got the dremel caught in my hair so I have a personal issue with it.
LOL. That is why I don't use it on Lucy, even though she's the one dog who it makes most sense for... I just inevitably get it caught in her tail hair every single time I use it on her.

ACooper

Orson has thick black nails, so I dremel. Less nerve racking for me than clipping and Orson lays down and patiently waits foot by foot, LOL And soaking them in a bit of warm water or doing it right after a bath is AWESOMELY fast!

I would love to say I keep up and do it every single week.........and a good month that would be true. It's quite normal these days to go 12-14 days between. I used to be right on top of it because we have all tile floors downstairs and *click clack click clack* is very annoying (same reason he goes nude in the house so he doesn't jingle) so if/when I hear the clicking (most of the time it doesn't come to that) I get on it.

There are some points which you should keep in mind while trimming the nails of your pet especially when you are doing it first time. These points are:-

1.) Make sure the dog is relaxed and comfortable.

2.) Always include a favorite treat during the session and at the end.

3.) Have a styptic powder or cornstarch and snacks readily available in plentiful amount.

4.) Remember how to fix a problem when the dog decides to jerk strongly.

5.) Grasp the foot from the ankle up in the palm of your hand, firmly but gently.

6.) Take a look at your dog's nails. If your dog has white, clear, or light colors nails your job will be easier.

7.) Understand how to "tip" the dogs nails, if this is the first time you have clipped the nails, or if the nails are unusually long.

8.) Proceed with care.

9.) File the ends of each until smooth, after clipping the nails.

Xandra

Uhm, like once a month or longer? Whenever I hear clicking I dremel. I guess just running around keeps his nails pretty short.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Every 7-10 days here.

I'm actually frustrated because I got Cricket's nails to a point where they were super short and then left them alone for a while so her quicks are a little longer now. Trying to get them back down slowly.

I have a dremel but haven't used it in a while. Cricket is the only one I think I'll be able to ever dremel though with some work I might be able o do Joey. He can be squirmy and impatient. Bamm I only clip because he absolutely hates it so I want to get it done quickly for him. He has gotten better. Still growls sometimes ( though mostly he just grumbles in protest) and still has to be muzzled for nail trims, but considerably better than he used to be since my boss helped me out with him and his nails when I first started working there.

SaraB

We do nails once or twice a week here. I dremel, but when I had the danes, I would clip first and then dremel to smooth everything out. The current dogs don't have big, thick nails, so dremeling doesn't take very long. I can get all three done in 6 minutes (yes, I've timed it. LOL)

Red Chrome

I do nails here about once a week, clip then dremel. Sometimes I do them every other day, it really just depends.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh and I clip nails instead of dremel. Have you ever tried to dremel teeny tiny nails? I've tried a few different dremels and all have been way too bulky.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep

Members online

No members online now.