Jumping on the bed

Fran27

Well Boris has been free in the house for about 2 weeks now. He's really good and rarely wakes us up anymore, and he leaves the cats alone when they are sleeping with us on the bed too.

The problem is, if just one of us is in the bed (me or my husband), or he's alone in the room, he will jump on the bed. I can make him go down by telling him 'off' a few times, but is there a more efficient way? Will he eventually understand that he can't be on the bed?

He's over 60 lbs, and big, and the bed is the cat's territory, so we don't want him to be on it.

He'll eventually get it, but there may be incidents of sneaky naps, lol! Ours know better, but every so often I'll catch little miss Kharma sound asleep with her head up on my pillow, lol!

Doberluv

Yup....Lyric did that when he was a pup. I would just tell him "off" and then when he got off, rewarded him a lot. Then it got so he'd sneak up when I wasn't in there. He'd hear me coming down the hall and jump off. Of course, then, I couldn't tell him "off!!" But all I could do was say, "goooood off." LOL. And try to remember to keep my door closed so he wouldn't keep self rewarding. Finally, after he got a little older, he decided that it wasn't that big of a deal to be on my bed, since he had his own bed and the couch.

He is allowed on my daughter's bed when I go visit her, so that's a little tad confusing, but there's no reason a smart boy like Lyric can't make the distinction. So, it's finally levelled out. Once when my daughter was visiting, fairly recently, he did jump up on the bed. He must have thought, "Oh....gee...yippee! Emily's here. I can probably get away with getting on the bed." LOL. No such luck. Mean Mom told him, "off." He may have assoicated getting on the bed with her, but I doubt it because she's been here lots of times and he only just tried it once during her most recent visit.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Oh, Kona just discovered that if she's fast enough when she comes inside, she can make a direct run for the bed and jumps on it. When you try to get her off, she jumps around and plays, then lays down, and won't move. She's now over 70 lbs. so she's a handful. I can tell by her expression that she's laughing at me when she does this.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
All my petz are allowed on the beds and funrniture, but our dachshunds couldnt get one any of the beds if they tried! lol. But yeah, he'll eventually get it. Just keep doing what your doing.

bubbatd

EliNHunter may not see this, so Grammy will tattle.....When she was still married, she, Bob, Eli, Yogi and 3 cats all slept with them !!! Now that's over 160 #s of dogs and at least 40 #s of cats! No, that's not what caused his leaving...he loved it !!! Bob's still a good friend to all of us !

mrose_s

BusterLove
Renee750il said:
He'll eventually get it, but there may be incidents of sneaky naps, lol! Ours know better, but every so often I'll catch little miss Kharma sound asleep with her head up on my pillow, lol!
lol, i can relate, i walk in my room and find sophie completley streched out. But i still share it with her on nights when i feel generous (and she weighs about 90 pounds)

Get a "scat mat"

They work incredibly well. I "zapped" myself dozens of times because I don't want to do anything to my dog that I couldn't do to myself. It doesn't hurt, it just feels uncomfortable.
Did I metion how well it works?

Members online

No members online now.