Odo was tramatized

Over the week end we had a funeral to attend. We had to leave the dog's alone for about 8 Hr's on Monday. My sister was here from TN. with her little dashhound. None of them are used to being left alone. So we put My sisters dog in my room...he did good. Odie in his own room...He did good. And Shenzie the GSD and my little Odo in the living room, dinning and kitchen area. The cats were locked in my daughters room. Cats did good. But Shenzie Got really sick. She threw-up and had diarrhea all over the living room and down the hall...Huge Huge places, about 10 of them...We came in and the smell hit us square in the face. We made every one stay outside while we started cleaning up. It took a while because we even had to shampoo the carpet. well when i let Odo back in he would not walk into the living room. I thought maybe it was because it was still damp from shampooing, but now it has been four days it is dry it smells fine, but he still won't come in there, if he follows me through the room he skirts around the walls and over the furniture...Whats the deal...I wonder if it scared him??? It is kinda funny but it is sad to.

Odo was the only one to see what happened ...None of the other animals avoid the area>>>hummmmmmm!!

Last edited:
Some dogs take on guilt for anything that happens. That may be Odie's problem. Or Shenzie may have been very upset and that frightened him. He may associate being frightened with the room.

Poor little feller. Lots of reassurance and petting in there for awhile until he gets over his fear . . . If he's got a ball or something he likes to chase you might get him involved with the chase and every few throws toss it into the room, further and further as he gets engrossed and forgets to be afraid.

Renee750il said:
Some dogs take on guilt for anything that happens. That may be Odie's problem. Or Shenzie may have been very upset and that frightened him. He may associate being frightened with the room.

Poor little feller. Lots of reassurance and petting in there for awhile until he gets over his fear . . . If he's got a ball or something he likes to chase you might get him involved with the chase and every few throws toss it into the room, further and further as he gets engrossed and forgets to be afraid.
It was Odo not Odie...lol

But that sounds about right. He makes his way to my chair every time i go in there to sit and then he clings to me loving on me. I give him lots of petting and try to get him to play his favorite game of chase, which he always did every day in there. He would play bow and then start running all over the place wanting me to chase him. But now he won't even do it! but i won't give up because i love his playing,and i will not let him stop..

Sheba Poor...Odie!He probably might still smell it, even though you cant!
He might still smell it Sheba...But the other dogs that did not see it at all till after it was cleaned up haven't noticed a thing and they go through there with no problem...We shampooed and sanitized... then when it was dry i used carpet fresh and vacumed.

Fran27 Did you use nature's miracle to get rid of the smell?
I haven't ever heard of it ...where do i get it? I will try any thing to get him unafraid. If it dose end up being that he smells it and it still worries him, i will replace the carpet if if the nature's miracle does not work.

Fran27

You can get it at all pet stores. It totally gets rid of the smell, even for dogs. Their smell is better than ours so no matter how much you clean something with regular products, they will still smell it. Nature's miracle has some enzymes that work on dogs too. It might be worth trying.

I have read a dog training book that says "do not leave your dog in a home alone for long periods of time" as this makes them feel scared, and they think that they cannot escape from bad people if they need to, even if the doors and windows are locked. Dogs do not know this, so they tend to get scared, and this can make them all the sudden sick, and make them use the bathroom a lot. And as for getting rid of the smell, check your local pet store, they usually have all the essentials for getting rid of the smell, and maybe even more important, getting rid of it for good.

In the real world, dogs have to stay home alone sometimes - it's just part of life. It's best if you can acclimate them to it gradually, but sometimes things just don't happen that way. Most cope with it quite well, actually. Odo just had to deal with too many things at once - a visiting pup, everyone upset and in the emotional turmoil that always accompanies a funeral . . . it was just too much for him all at once probably.

Working with him calmly, reassuring him and getting rid of the last of the odor should get him back to his old self before too long.

Renee750il said:
In the real world, dogs have to stay home alone sometimes - it's just part of life. It's best if you can acclimate them to it gradually, but sometimes things just don't happen that way. Most cope with it quite well, actually. Odo just had to deal with too many things at once - a visiting pup, everyone upset and in the emotional turmoil that always accompanies a funeral . . . it was just too much for him all at once probably.

Well you may have hit the nail on the head. He did have a lot to deal with all at once. I did the Nature's miracle and so far no go at getting back to being normal in that room. I tried to start the play thing with him a couple of times today and he just turned and left. he has never slept without me and he has started using his soft bed on the floor...:( ...I want him back like he was.. He still sits with me and loves on me but he won't play with me inside...Is he still mad at me??? If he is why does he give me some but not all. Why has he quit sleeping with me? Maybe he is mad because Snoopy was left in my room. (his room)
Oh he will play out doors for me!!!!!

Working with him calmly, reassuring him and getting rid of the last of the odor should get him back to his old self before too long.
Ok giving him all the time he needs just hope it is soon. I miss his indoor play.

Boy these little guys are so complex!!!!!

Thank you all for your commints and help...will let evey one know how it goes and hopefuly it will not be long before he is back to his silly self.

skylerdalmation said:
I have read a dog training book that says "do not leave your dog in a home alone for long periods of time" as this makes them feel scared, and they think that they cannot escape from bad people if they need to, even if the doors and windows are locked. Dogs do not know this, so they tend to get scared, and this can make them all the sudden sick, and make them use the bathroom a lot. And as for getting rid of the smell, check your local pet store, they usually have all the essentials for getting rid of the smell, and maybe even more important, getting rid of it for good.
This is really interesting. I wonder where their fear is comming from when they have never met bad people. Maybe they just have more fear when they are alone...I know they show no fear as long as we are with them. But then they look as us as the pack leader, so when we leave they are afraid...Hummmmm something to think about.

Well today Odo finely gave in and played in the living room...He saw me playing with Odie and he just started running around like crazy..lol it was funny and great to see.. it made me tear up. I thought he would never play again, but i think he got jealous because he saw me and Odie having fun. he didn't play as long . As a matter of fact as soon as Odie quit he stoped...But the point is that he did it. He did the play bow and started yapping at me, like look i want to play too. So there is hope ..I will just have to keep Odie involved.

Members online