Getting slower?

orimallei

Hi all, I just joined because I need some reassurance/help.

My Australian shepherd just turned 2 today, it's not old, I know... but anyway, I've been doing agility with him since he was quite small (tunnels, etc), and we started competing 6 months ago. I'm in Australia, so the actual agility levels etc are probably different, but basically after 6 months he's got 3 out of 5 passes toward his Open title. He got his novice one in about 3 months. I think he's done pretty well.
Anyway, the very last trial we had- in December, he was /amazing/. The best I've ever seen him run... really smooth, perfect crosses, running out ahead but still listening perfectly..
It being summer here, we've all stopped for 3 months for our summer break. It's awful- just as he was getting good!
But I took him around a very, very basic course yesterday and over two jumps today (I don't have enough room/money to have my own course in the backyard so I'm making do), and he's just been a little... off.
He just doesn't seem as enthusiastic, and I'm terrified that he's not going to get it back. Have any of you had similar experiences, and their dogs have perked back up? I'm hoping that when he sees the course at our next training/demo day/whatever comes first, he'll be enthusiastic. I mean, he wasn't even listening properly yesterday, and he /always/ listens. And when he did listen, he turned to look at me and bounce in front of me! He's never done that before!

I could just be being paranoid, and he'll be fine... I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm almost hesitant to run him over the jumps any more incase he gets it in his head to go slowly. I had to work /really/ hard to get him to his full speed today. It was distressing.

Thanks for reading,

Em + Mallei.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It may have just been an off day for him, or the 3 months off may have made him forget what he was supposed to be doing a little bit.

Welcome to the board by the way. I have a 2 year old Aussie myself. :)

CanadianK9

Consistancy is a big thing, Just practice a bit and he will return slowly to where he was. It can even just be as simple as as zoom said, an off day. give him a little time and practice/reminder and get back to us.

RD

Are you dead yet?
After a period of no work, dogs, just like people, are not going to be perfect. It could be that he is being cautious on the course which is a very good thing in an agility dog (I have the opposite problem with my boy, he's completely fearless and takes on everything at full speed with 100% enthusiasm.. and in doing so, forgets where he's placing his feet and sets himself up to trip or fall off) He might just need to go through the course a few more times to get his confidence up, and once he's sure of himself he will probably be willing to speed up. Focus on precision, not speed. The fastest dog on the course that knocks bars, alters course and misses contacts will have a much harder time earning titles than the dog that goes a bit slower but gets everything right.

T

tessa_s212

It could very well be an off day. Or, it could be you or your training. Or both! I made the mistake with my cocker of not continuing to make it fun and exciting. I started handling other dogs for my training instructors, and I stopped taking time to just reward like crazy before and after my practice runs at practice. Right now I am having to undo that...

Is he toy driven? Treats? I'd say step up the reinforcement a bit to encourage him to want to do it again.. :)

orimallei

Well because I was worried about him on thursday, I took his treats and clicker with me yesterday when we were playing with the jumps, and used my voice a /lot/ more enthusiastically than I would usually have to. But then when I think about it, if I set up just weave poles in the backyard, he's hardly raring to run at them like he usually is when he's set up at the start of the course.... the more I think about it, the more I think that after he's at an event, with lots of excited energy in the air, dogs barking, the /whole/ course there, me being nervous.... he'll be back to normal. The little run we had the other day was a very laid-back affair, with only a couple of dogs there in a semi-familiar setting...

It's always just worrying, that's all, especially after the last trial, when he was just so, so awesome! I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll let you know! Glad to see this board is nice and active, too- I know where I'll be coming for advice in the future!
Thanks for all the replies! :)

Jynx

My agility dogs usually have the opposite effect, when we don't do agility for awhile, usually during the winter months, they are rippin and rarin to go when I get the stuff out..However, if it was a hot day, I know mine are going to be a little less enthusiastic as they don't do well in the heat.

I agree with others, it could be an "off" day, you could have been "off" and the dog was picking up on it, could be anything really. If he continues to show unenthusiasm whereas he was previously,,I'd do a complete vet check up..

My aussie was showing some signs of not wanting to do to much re: agility, and she has been quite ill, tho she's much better now *vbg*..but if I had just let it "go",,who knows what would have happened..

Good luck,,he's very cute by the way.
Diane

Members online

No members online now.