Just Hit a Kitty...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Got done with work and errands and was heading home. I was about 5 minutes from our house when a black cat darted out in front of the car. I tried to go around him but he doubled back and there was nothing I could do. I circled back and pulled over. I would have taken him to the e-vet but he was already dead.:( I went to the closest house and they said that it wasn't their cat. The cat had no ID tag or collar. I couldn't just leave him where he would get hit again, and I didn't want to put him in front yard of the house I was nearest to. I thought about taking him home and burying him in our yard, but then I was worried that if someone was looking for him they would have no hope of finding him if I buried him at home, so I took him across the street and way off to the side where there was some tall grass and placed him there.

I'm so upset, I feel terrible. Poor kitty.....

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm so sorry! I can't even tell you how many times I've had close calls with cats... I just wish people would keep their pets safely contained. :(

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm so sorry! :( You know it's not your fault. You did your best to avoid him but sometimes animals freeze, spin, or turn around and make avoiding them in time impossible.
((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I feel for you...I have had that happen to me :( No owners in sight there either.

I still think about that poor kitty and it's been several years.

(((Hugs)))

~Tucker&Me~

It might not be a bad idea to call the two closest vet hospitals and describe the cat, and also post it on craigslist. That way, the people have a much better chance of finding out what happened to their cat.

*hugs*

:( So sorry. Can you call your local animal control? Ours will pick up any cats or dogs hit, take the best photo they can of them, and store the body in case any one reports the animal missing, but I don't know of many that do that.

We've hit two kitties. Once I was alone in the middle of no where and it was 4 in the morning, and he died in my car on the 45 minute trip to the e-vet. The other died instantly.

ACooper

:( Sorry you had to go through this s.sally. You stopped and did what you could. ((((HUGS))))

As for taking kitty home and burying him, that's exactly what I would have done after checking the house/houses close by. Letting the cat run around town, no tags or way to identify him........pffft, I don't care about their feelings or if they are looking for him. That may sound mean or cold, so be it. People who own cats and let the roam have that choice, I don't preach to them about it, but they also know what can happen and they have to deal with it......no sympathy from me, the only party getting sympathy is kitty. *shrugs*

Miakoda

I'm so sorry! I can't even tell you how many times I've had close calls with cats... I just wish people would keep their pets safely contained. :(
This.

I want to be sympathetic to these pet owners, but I find myself lacking sympathy. Why? Because on one occasion, we had a little over $800 worth of damage to my husband's Scion Tc after he hit a cat that darted in front of him (he was going 50 in a 50 mp zone), and we have a $500 deductible.

Then, many years ago, my younger brother was driving my Camaro, when he hit a 100-lb Lab that ran right in front of him. Since it was my car and my insurance, I had to foot the bill. The car had $1,100 worth of damage, but thankfully my deductible was just $100. However, I did go after the dog's owners, as in my opinion, they are 100% responsible.

Honestly, if there is a next time, I will go after the animal's owner in small claims court. It is NOT right that I should have to shell out money all because someone cannot make the effort to keep their dog/cat contained or restrained.

Xandra

I dont' agree with taking the cat home and burying it at all. Take it to the shelter if you can't leave it on the road... but if it isn't visible it should go somewhere they can check for a chip at least.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I called the shelter today after work (they were closed yesterday for elections) and told them where to find the cat should anyone call. I actually hit it right near the shelter, but it was closed at the time and honestly it would have never occurred to me to take the body there.

I didn't realize it at the time, but the cat did end up damaging my car. The plastic mud guard thing on the underside of the front of the car was knocked loose. DH had to zip tie it up until he is able to fix it.

Miakoda

I dont' agree with taking the cat home and burying it at all. Take it to the shelter if you can't leave it on the road... but if it isn't visible it should go somewhere they can check for a chip at least.
Well, not to be a party pooper, but I don't agree with letting one's cats run loose to cause such havoc and/or be such a nuisance.

Have to agree with Coop. I've had cats, I would probably have one now except Tallulah thinks they are delicious, but they were indoors unless they managed to sneak out somehow. The world is a dangerous place for a domestic cat, and that's not figuring in diseases.

Xandra

Well, not to be a party pooper, but I don't agree with letting one's cats run loose to cause such havoc and/or be such a nuisance.
lol what party? I'm not saying you have to agree with letting a cat roam but I don't think it's a lot to ask to leave the cat at the side of the road instead of taking it with you.

GipsyQueen

((((hugs)))) I've hit a kitty before. :( I did the same as you did - left it at the side of the road (had no tags) and called the shelter to tell them where the kitty could be found.

So how is one supposed to restrain their cat? It's not like you can leash them to take them outside. They're cats. Our old cat (she got hit by a car as well) came and went as she pleased. Though she was always close when it was feeding time. :p I would never keep a cat indoors. (Unless for medical reasons ect.) Cat's don't cause a havoc just because they are outdoor cats.
I've hit a few wild animals (we live in the woods) that just darted across the road - that doesn't make them a nuisance....

Red.Apricot

((((hugs)))) I've hit a kitty before. :( I did the same as you did - left it at the side of the road (had no tags) and called the shelter to tell them where the kitty could be found.

So how is one supposed to restrain their cat? It's not like you can leash them to take them outside. They're cats. Our old cat (she got hit by a car as well) came and went as she pleased. Though she was always close when it was feeding time. :p I would never keep a cat indoors. (Unless for medical reasons ect.) Cat's don't cause a havoc just because they are outdoor cats.
I've hit a few wild animals (we live in the woods) that just darted across the road - that doesn't make them a nuisance....
Cats can cause havoc on ecosystems.

Maybe it's the area where I live (suburbs, bordered by chaparral) but it's really not safe at all for cats to run loose here. Their lives are much, much shorter, and they can be a huge nuisance.

Right now I'm battling my neighbor's cat, who has decided that my front mat is a great place to pee. Every. Night. He's also been pooping in my vegetable box.

It's also totally possible to leash/harness train a cat.

GipsyQueen

Cats can cause havoc on ecosystems.

Maybe it's the area where I live (suburbs, bordered by chaparral) but it's really not safe at all for cats to run loose here. Their lives are much, much shorter, and they can be a huge nuisance.

Right now I'm battling my neighbor's cat, who has decided that my front mat is a great place to pee. Every. Night. He's also been pooping in my vegetable box.

It's also totally possible to leash/harness train a cat.
Hm - Everyone in our neighbourhood has outdoor cats - we've never had a problem with any of them (neither have other neighbours).

Members online

No members online now.