Portuguese Water Dogs

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Anyone have significant first hand experience with them? Any information to share?

I think they're really neat dogs, but the few I've met have been bouncy messes. I'd like to think there are nice ones out there, and I just haven't experienced it yet.

Zhucca

Lab Love
I have two at my daycare. They can be great dogs if you train them.. I don't have any actual info about them however just my experience with only two pwds.

First.. the bad one.
He is seriously one of the most annoying dogs we have at the daycare. He barks constantly, and being a water dog he *loves* getting squirted with the water bottle, and will bark at you to spray him more. He'll bite your hands, he jumps all over the customers in the store when he comes in, and again.... the barking. He's just plain unruly.

The second is owned by one of the trainers that work at the store..
He's awesome. He really shows what a dog can become if you put effort into them. He is the exact opposite of the other. Except sometimes he eats poop. LOL

One thing is that since they are bearded breeds.. when they drink water they'll come over and wipe their wet beards allll over you. :)

mom2dogs

I have dried one for a handler, he barked and whined and cried and acted like I was murding him. You would think it was becuse of the dryer, right? No. It was because the owner walked away... omg.

I would love to meet a nice one.

BostonBanker

We have one in the local agility club who is a terror. Insane barking, directly at the owner. I don't know enough of the breed to judge how much is handling and how much is the breed, but it turns me off from the breed.

R

RedyreRottweilers

This is one of my FAVORITE coated breeds. Very intelligent, willing to work, great outgoing temperaments.

If not for the hair I would have had one of these long ago. :D

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
there are a lot of these in my agility club... great agility dogs!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I've worked with a few, when I worked for handlers - barkiest, bounciest, in-you-faciest sporting dogs I've ever worked with. I liked them because they were big jerks, but I could see them being "a bit much" for the average per owner.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
So it seems the few I've met have been more like the common temperment, not a badly trained exception.

I like a lot of things about them, but definitely don't think I could handle one.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Consider that the dog was originally used to herd fish. :yikes: There's gotta be a level of insanity in that job.

PWDs can be great sport dogs, but I wouldn't suggest them as a pet. I'm inclined to think they have one thing in common with malinois -- a missing off switch.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I love the ones I know- a family friend has two. I would never want one. Well, the coat for one, but they're a bit in your face like most sporting dogs and they're very active. The people that love them though.... there are few other breeds whose owners seem to be so enthusiastic about them.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I really like these dogs! I would consider getting one someday. They are a breed that NEEDS a job! They can become unruley, badly behaved dogs if not given direction and exercise. All ive met (except one) have been extreamly nice! The one that isnt is because she just feeds off her wacky owner who is way to high strung and coddles the dog. One in particular is a very nice calm young dog. I want him. Deffinatly not a slouch of a breed though. Not for the faint of heart.

I have met 2
1 adult that I see quite often at the dog park. She is very mellow.

and 1 puppy, he was, well very much a puppy lol

Members online

No members online now.