More of Keira *12*

B

Backward_Cinderella

Sizzle, you have such pretty dobes!

Our dobe's ears and tail were left uncut / cropped. It is very interesting to hear how its done, but other than aesthetic value, is there another reason the ears are cropped? I always wondered why, it looks really neat, but sounds so painful!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
It is very interesting to hear how its done, but other than aesthetic value, is there another reason the ears are cropped? I always wondered why, it looks really neat, but sounds so painful!
Yes and no. IMO it keeps the ears "out of the way", and away from injury, but for the most part it's cosmetic. A skilled cropper is very good at their job, the ears rarely bleed more than a trickle and the healing time is mondo-fast. Puppies recover in hours, show very little pain and are very active.

The posting is obnoxious, but IMO it's sort of liek a bra (if your'e female, you might understand). YES, thefirst time you wear a bre it's uncomfortable. But you learn to live with it, and especially if you've been fitted properly the bra "melts awa" and you don't feel it at all. Same thing with ear posts - if done correctly, the puppy hardly notices them.

Don'tknow if you can see or not, but the pupies in this photo are in posts... they aren't bothered by them at all...

Trice and Rumor don't seem to mind...

Drake zonked out after being cropped, edges smooshed up against th eblanket... no fussing...

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Jazz was 4-5 months. I cant remember. Her one ear has a tiny bit of a pocket but if she wants she can make it go away.

Her cousin was out a 10 months!!!! But others are out at like 3 months. Lucky

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Same here Jen - Ilsa would doze off! IMO if a knowledgable hand is doing the posting, it can be an enjoyable experience. To this day, Ilsa still begs for ear rubbins, she LOVES having her ears cleaned because the cotton swab goes deep into her ear and squooshes around, she grunts blissfully every time!

I haven't met a cropped dobe yet that doesn't like its ears rubbed and smooshed...

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
The only time she was upset is if the tape didnt come off nicely. But I would be upset too. LOL

B

Backward_Cinderella

Wow, I feel so stupid, lol... What are bells, and what is a pocket? Aaron and I are thinking about getting a dobe after we move out (we'll be moving to a corner of my sister's 40 acre ranch so there would be plenty of room), but that's in about 18 months. I'd love to know all I can about them before we get another. I loved our Molly, but I was very young when we had her. Suffice to say I never forgot her. :)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
The "bell" of the ear is the bottom part of the ear... the part closest to the head. Pockets are little curved formations of cartilage that cause ears to tip inward, over the head.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
She's very adorable, you take great pics of her too!

No offense to your breeder, but her postings don't seem to be doing a great job either - so personally I would just take the plunge and start posting them yourself :) There's plenty of online support and info on how to do it on DT (and I know you are on that board), once you start doing it, it is a lot less difficult than it seems!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
No offense to your breeder, but her postings don't seem to be doing a great job either - so personally I would just take the plunge and start posting them yourself :)
I think so too Kim... I think between the other dobe forums, and you and me, Toller has some darn good resources. :)

Members online

No members online now.