He ate half of a dead animal!

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
So my wife was walking Manni across the street and he managed to find a decomposed carcass of a small dead animal (maybe 6-8 inches long). Unfortunately he was able to eat about half of it before my wife could get it away from him.

My wife is running around the house screaming "Ewww! Ewww! Ewwww!"

What should we do? Can we induce vomiting?

showpug

It's gross, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Sounds to me like Manni was just following through with his natural instinct. ;)

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
ANGELL said to give him 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and wait 15 minutes for him to vomit. We did that, but no vomit. We called back and they said we could give him another 2 tablespoons, but no more than that. We gave him 2 more, but still no vomit. I even took him out and let him eat lots of grass.

Sigh, this dog stressed me out! :(

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
It's gross, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Sounds to me like Manni was just following through with his natural instinct. ;)
It's just that the carcass was rather decomposed (according to my wife), so I'm mostly concerned with parasites. :(

showpug

It's just that the carcass was rather decomposed (according to my wife), so I'm mostly concerned with parasites. :(
I think with a dog's digestive tract you may be ok. As far as parasites go, are you concerned about intestinal parasites?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Eww eww eww. I'd keep an eye on him, but dont' get to concerned unless he starts showing signs of distress.

A few years ago, Ilsa and I were on a winter walk when she found a severed (and luckily frozen) deer leg. She went into 100%, total primal mode and wouldn't let me get near her - it took me three hours in the freezing cold to catch her.

She reeked to high heaven of rotten meat when I finally caught her, it took three baths to get the smell out. It was probably the nastiest thing Ilsa had ever eaten (she would run away from me and chew on it, then run away again... she got most the skin and a lot of the meat off the leg by the time I caught her).

Also, it was the last time Ilsa was ever offleash in an unfenced area without an e-collar. Sometimes, no other reasonable training method can pull an animal out of its primal state!

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
So around 3am I woke up to Manni pacing around near the bedroom window. As soon as he saw me move, he ran over to me, gave me "the look", and made his way towards the front of the apartment. About 10 steps out he looked back and gave me the "Are you coming or not?!" look.

We've been through this drill before, so I took him out into the yard and for the first time he didn't even think about peeing anywhere. He went straight for the grass and was eating it furiously for 3-4 minutes when finally he emptied his stomach.

Anyway, that was gross but I feel better now and I'm sure Manni does too.

Sometimes I really think there is some nugget of truth in the "starter child" comment that people make ...

Sigh, tomorrow is going to SUCK (it's almost 3:30am now).

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
No big deal, really. As far as parasites go, my hybrid used to enjoy mousing on a regular basis. Like potato chips, they are crunchy. When I expressed my concerns to my vet, he said I should worm her once a month and watch her for weight gain! So we let her go at it.

Members online

No members online now.