Another new food I found . . .

KellyB

Sorry if I'm getting annoying with these dog food posts, but I found a new food called Nature's Variety that I think is fairly new on the market. After reading what everyone has said, I think this might be what I end up switching to, but I thought others might be interested in the website because they actually offer a raw frozen diet, a freeze dried diet, a grain free kibble, regular kibble and many all natural treats as well as frozen raw bones. For me finding this in a pet store in my area was sort of surprising, but also has given me some new options in terms of treats, etc. The web link ishttp://www.naturesvariety.com/

The food I'm considering is the kibble diet, chicken and brown rice. Seems like it's on track for ingredients and protien content . . .

Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Montmorillonite Clay, Flaxseed Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Chicken Liver, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Cottage Cheese, Chicken Eggs, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Turkey, Freeze Dried Turkey Liver, Freeze Dried Turkey Hearts, Pumpkinseeds, Ground Chicken Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove

Prairie Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Medley is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages.

Feeding Guide and Instructions
Sudden changes in diet can sometimes result in digestive disturbances. Do not overfeed regardless of the pet’s acceptance and eagerness. Overfeeding is the most common cause of digestive upset. Always introduce any new diet over a period of days, mixing with the present diet. Keep fresh water available at all times and offer plenty of exercise.

For more detailed feeding information based on your pet's weight and activity level, please visit our Interactive Feeding Guideline.

Sizes Available
5 lb (2.27 kg)
15 lb (6.81 kg)
30 lb (13.62 kg)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 26.0%
Crude Fat (min) 14.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.4%
Moisture (max) 10.0%

Calories
391 per cup

Other Nutritional Data
Calcium (min): 1.41%
Phosphorus (min): 0.90%
Vitamin E (min): 128.4 IU/kg
Vitamin C* (min): 50 mg/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (min): 2.12%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (min): 0.56%
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Vitamins
Carotene: 5.63 mg/kg
Vitamin A: 19220 IU/kg
Vitamin D: 2433 IU/kg
Vitamin E: 128.4 IU/kg
Vitamin K: 0.75 mg/kg
Ascorbic Acid: 50 mg/kg
Thiamine: 12.28 mg/kg
Riboflavin: 8.88 mg/kg
Pantothenic Acid: 19.63 mg/kg
Biotin: 0.45 mg/kg
Folic Acid: 0.36 mg/kg
Choline: 3379 mg/kg
Vitamin B12 0.12 mg/kg
Vitamin B6 4.4 mg/kg
Niacin: 58.79 mg/kg
Iodine: 3 mg/kg

Minerals
Sodium: 0.41%
Potassium: 0.65%
Chloride: 0.79%
Magnesium: 0.12%
Sulfur: 0.23%
Manganese: 29.78 mg/kg
Iron: 272.90 mg/kg
Copper: 24.80 mg/kg
Zinc: 244.10 mg/kg
Selenium: 0.41 mg/kg

Amino Acids
Methionine-Cystine: 0.96%
Methionine: 0.55%
Cystine: 0.41%
Lysine: 1.77%
Tryptophan: 0.30%
Threonine: 1.251%
Isoleucine: 1.17%
Histidine: 0.67%
Valine: 1.38%
Leucine: 2.37%
Arginine: 1.59%
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine: 1.20%

KellyB

That's what I got today! The pet/feed store just down the street from my office just started carrying the food and treats/products so I'm very happy about that!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Good choice! We attempted to feed NV to Buddy but it was too rich for him. Good luck with it!

FWIW, I tried starting my dog on their frozen raw chicken diet. The rep told me to start with just one medallion in addition to her normal kibble. After the second day of one medallion, Winnie got amazingly sick- she literally had it coming from both ends at once. It was bad enough that I decided to run her to the emergency clinic, but then she finally stopped vomiting after about 30 minutes of emptying herself (this is all happening at 2:30 AM, BTW). It didn't seem like an emergency anymore at that point. She finally fell asleep again about an hour later.

She seemed pretty okay the next day, minus some residual diarrhea and anorexia, but I definitely discontinued their raw diet after that.

Just one experience, of course.

KellyB

I chose it based upon ingredients in foods that Kovi had done well on before, as well as the lack of ingredients that seemed to bother her. I also liked the fact that it is a "rich" food because she always seems hungry and I think it gave her a more satisfied and full feeling because last night she wasn't scrounging around like normal (I did follow the serving size guideline).

Overall I'm happy so far. It's only been a day, but for doing a cold switch because of feeding a food brand involved in the recall everything seems to be going smoothly.

Nature's Variety is what I switched my 3 too. So far they love it they don't eat as much as they did with Solid Gold so it makes it even better for us. Here is a link to get coupons from them I think the first on is Buy a bag get a 4-5 pound bag free. www.naturesvariety.com/iloveit Hope that can help someone. Oh we haven't tried the venison yet kinda scared has anyone else and it worked? Thanks

Tatum

My 2 cocker spaniels have been on NV raw chubs and medallions. I feed them the raw at night and Timberwolf organics in the morning only to keep the price down. However the chubs are the least exspensive and will eat a lb of that 3 meals in a row. I saw (literally) it in half and freeze the other half. The medallions are so much easier but more exspensive. They are doing very well on it and I may totally change over using chubs. Our Complete Petmart has a freezer and now stocks the medallions, and the patties, plus bones. The medallions in beef and chicken/turkey goes on sale so far once a month. I am very happy with the product and recommend it.

Members online