So we saw the Vet Behavioralist...

Dreeza

I had made the appointment back in March, but she was so backed up that we just finally had it ~ 2 wks ago. $645 later, can't say I'm entirely thrilled...but hoping you guys can help fill in some gaps.

Here were the big takeaways:

1) She says he is likely nauseous a lot, which is why he is licking his lips. She recommended splitting his meals up so there was always food in his stomach. Even feeding him at 11pm & then at 7am means he has an empty stomach...so that has been a tough fix. He threw up this morning (bile...for the first time in awhile)...and was doing a lot of lip licking, so I think she is on to something, just have NO clue how to address it & she wasn't very helpful. Anyone know anything? Could it be his food itself???

2) She thinks he is uncomfortable/in pain, which is why he has such a hard time settling down at night. He keeps wanting to sleep on our couches (which would be fine, except when he is in the living room he barks all night at random noises, which makes our issue of not being able to sleep even worse.
We brought a couch cushion & pillow into our room...and put it on top of the comfy chair he has (which is all is), which butts up next to our bed, so he is basically an extension of our bed...and it made no difference in his night time behavior. Plus, half the time he will go & lie on the floor...so I just have a hard time believing pain is the issue. But that would just be awful if it was and I was ignoring it! But I don't know what else to do.

3) She gave us more positive training stuff to do on walks, which has been great. My other trainers I had were SO strict about it, that frankly, I always felt like I was failing, and I dropped off because I just felt like if it wasn't perfect, it wouldn;t help. She was WAY more lax about things...has no issue of him being on the couch/eating (appropriate) people foods, etc etc. Which just seems WAY more do-able now. Although she did scold me a few times for petting him when he was trying to sleep (oops). So that has been some good stuff!!! Seeing slow (but steady) improvements there. Just getting used to carrying around TONS of treats.

She also put him on SAM-e & fish oils, which I have been doing for ~ 2 weeks now.

Anyways...so any thoughts on the nausea?? That is probably the main thing??

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
For the food issue, you could certainly try an automatic feeder with a set amount if food, if he would graze and not eat it all at once. I think there are some that are even timed, to open at set times throughout the day so he can have meals if you aren't available. You could also try him on a stomach acid reducer like famotidine. That may help with him feeling nauseous/vomiting bile.

A food that's ment for intestinal health may help, too, but since it's a stomach issue and not a GI issue....eh. Would be worth a shot, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

If the vet does think he's in pain, would a joint supplement help? Or you could always do a trial period of an NSAID and see if you notice a difference in his behavior.

Members online

No members online now.