Those who bought from responsible breeders...

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing? Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?

Rick and I were talking about it earlier; those were a couple of the questions that came up.

Ivy is from a responsible breeder.

Before her my animals were all rescues. I am a huge proponent of rescue but after three dogs that were from shelters and just ended up really being a LOT of work, I felt I needed a bit of a break...if that makes sense? I had two very young children and was getting a giant breed dog..I wanted to set myself up as best as I felt was possible so I went with a breeder who focuses on obedience, agility, and therapy work along with conformation.

Then I went back to rescue with Qcumber but I know his rescue very well and felt very confident that if there are EVER any issues and we could not keep him, he would have a very safe place to go. All of the dogs I have met from that rescue are just awesome, there is a little bit of magic there or something. Also, I met his mother and just fell in love.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
Dunno really. I like papillons and was in an apartment with a < 20 lb weight limit. Summer was available as an adult and I liked her since she was a pup. So I snatched her up.

With Mia I wanted a dog similar in size to Summer and also young so I was looking at papillons in rescue and there just aren't any. I found one male that I talked to the rescuers but he had a bite history and I couldn't get much info on why he'd bitten. So I passed. Really finding a young papillon in a rescue that would adopt to me (student, in apartment) was impossible.

Nextdog I want from a breed and lines that will be a decent sports shot. I also want a bigger dog (30ish lbs ideally) so I want to raise it from a pup so the girls can get used to it from the time it was small. So I'm going with a breeder. In all honesty, I LIKE going to a breeder really. It just suits me well. I like having a lot of information about the breed, lines, and parents. Especially with toy dogs in the mix, I want a good shot at making things work and work well.

Have you rescued before?
No. I've fostered and volunteered but none of my personal dogs have been from a shelter/rescue yet.

Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
None.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I wanted a reliable outcome for both house compatibility and lifestyle choices. I had rescued for years and went through several sport/work prospects towards the end with foster to adopt scenarios but one thing after another didn't work out and I'd had enough. I felt absolutely no guilt and I will not when I buy again and potentially breed. The world needs well bred dogs, they exist for a reason. I will always support rescues and will rescue again myself but for my desires a purpose bred dog better fits my household and choice of lifestyle.

Also, as Laurelin mentioned, I genuinely enjoy knowing lines, studying pedigrees, and the fact that after losing my best friend I have had the most amazing support from his breeder and the owner of his sister to the point of doing everything in their power to assist me in finding the closest thing to another Backup. It's been well worth my choices.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell

The breed of dog *boerboel* is very rare here so finding one in a rescue was going to be impossible. They are a guardian breed so I wanted a pup that was going to have a sound temperament. As well as be healthy as possible. There is always still a chance a pup developing hip issues or whatever else, but getting a pup from health tested parents and past ancestors it helps set the puppy up for success health wise. I also liked the idea of breeder support throughout the life of the puppy

Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?

Mitsu was a private rescue. I will rescue again, but probably not for a while and it has to be the right dog. I do not feel guilty.

SpringerLover

Both of my current dogs were bought. Neither from responsible breeders though.

I have fostered dogs, and I do support rescue. Depending on how many dogs I actually want to own at one time, I will likely have a rescue of my own at some point. However, I do want a purebred sport prospect in the (hopefully) not so distant future. 1) Because I want predictability in size, temperament, and structure; and 2) Because I adore this particular "line" of dogs and want to support the breeder.

All my dogs growing up and Kaylee were rescued in some form or another. It was nice while I didn't have any real idea of what kinds of dogs I liked or wanted.

Kaylee though really made me want to not go a rescue route again because of her nerve issues, health issues and basically her not being compatible with what I want.

After that was about when I decided I wanted a purebred dog and then tried to figure out breeds. Once I settled on a Koolie it was pretty much settled that he would be from a breeder.

And no, I didn't ever really feel any guilt about it.

I feel more guilt with Kaylee because she isn't what I wanted before I knew what I wanted and I feel like I got frustrated with her more than she deserves because of who she is.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I feel more guilt with Kaylee because she isn't what I wanted before I knew what I wanted and I feel like I got frustrated with her more than she deserves because of who she is.
EXACTLY how I feel about Shadow.

Thanks guys, these responses are helpful!

xpaeanx

Add me to the likes knowing what your getting yourself into with the dog. Good breeders know their lines and while they can't always say your dog will end up exactly like xy&z they can get pretty darn close and they also spend time getting to know you and matching personalities with you and pup.

I feel no guilt going to a breeder. I will only go to ones that breed for healthy, stable dogs... The kind we need. Why would I feel guilty about going to someone who is producing quality dogs?

That said, I'm not opposed to rescues at all. In fact, that's mostly what I've ended up with. But, the only time you really know what you're in for is when you get an adult and that's not always what people are looking for for a variety of reasons. It's much harder to correctly place a bunch of mixed breed pups that you have no idea about the parents, especially if the person has a certain goal/temperament/lifestyle in mind. I've ended up with puppies that turned into HORRIBLE matches for me when they got older.

I plan on always being a multi-dog household, that will include some rescue and some breeder.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I wanted a particular type of dog with strong nature drive, stability, and athleticism. I also particularly adored the mother of the litter, as she was everything I wanted in my next dog. The stars aligned and Mira came home with me.

Have you rescued before?
Yes.

No. I can't imagine ever feeling guilty about buying a dog from what I consider to be a responsible breeder.

I bought my first Shiba because I needed a dog I could leave at home while I was working and wasn't going to loose its mind. I wanted smaller, quiet, easy to house train, Shiba for all if these. I got Tonka because I thought I had found 'breed' I failed lol. But I wanted to show, thus needed a purebred.

Guilty, nope, wouldn't now even. Although if I get another purebred from a reputable breeder it will be so I show again.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I bought because I show and do ckc agility. I cant do that with a rescue.

I dont know if I would ever rescue. Nothing against them its just not fair the go with other dogs all the time to ckc events and never take the rescue.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Growing up we had both rescue dogs and dogs bought from breeders though I'm almost positive they weren't responsible breeders since I doubt my parents would take the time to do their research. They probably just found an add in the newspaper for puppies and went from there.

Since I've been out on my own all of mine have been rescues. My next dog will be from a responsible breeder. I have specific requirements for next dog.
I want to stack the odds in my favor health wise therefore I want a dog from health tested parents, who also came from health tested parents, etc etc. I like the idea of knowing my dog's heritage. I really want the support of having a breeder I can stay in contact, go to with questions, etc. I'm planning to show next dog and I require that my next dog come from a breeder that actively lure courses their dogs. I'm also planning on eventually breeding Ibizans so I want a dog that is an excellent representation of the breed as a whole.

Do I feel guilty that I want to buy next time around instead of rescue. Nope. Can't show, breed a rescue... and Ibizans aren't exactly super easy to come by in rescue.

Gypsydals

I've bought because I was looking for a specific look and history. And I wanted to show in AKC.
No I didn't feel guilty with buying from a breeder.
I will probably have both again.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I went breeder route because I wanted a certain breed, a certain look, I wanted to mold my dog. I need a dog that is cat, kid, and other dog friendly, and while we did explore the rescue option at first, most dogs that we liked were not good with all 3. I also just don't like all the hoops rescues want you to jump through.

I have rescued, I feel absolutely zero guilt for getting a dog from a good breeder and that will likely be where most of my dogs come from.

I got Pirate because I wanted a dog that I could show in conformation. I had been in connection with his breeder for years and she had the line of dogs I was interested in. She and her husband produce consistent dogs that place in nearly every show. He just turned a year old and I'm very happy with him. Took him to his first show last month and he placed very well!

Have you rescued before?

Yes and I will most likely continue to rescue throughout my life. I will have more Great Danes someday and I plan on all of them being rescues. But likely, all of my APBTs will be from breeders. I also really, really want a kelpie and that dog will be from a breeder as well.

No, not really. I had more issues with the way I acquired Bayleigh (through the shelter but it wasn't a pleasant scene). After I got Pirate home, I lost some rescue "friends" and others just gave me a hard time.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
To be honest... the first dog I bought from a responsible breeder was for aesthetics. I wanted a gorgeous dog, and finding a "gorgeous, correct representative of the breed" in rescue is not easy. I knew I wanted a dobe, so it was either breed rescue or a breeder. Thank goodness I did my research and went with a good breeder right away, instead of making a 'rookie mistake' and going with a BYB. Also, I was 16 years old... probably not a very attractive home to most rescues.

Have you rescued before?
No, rescuing came later. However, my rescue dog was also specifically picked with looks and temperament in mind... which is why my rescue dog came from a different country, 1800 miles away from my home. Talla is a rescue, but in my mind she is just as 'purebred' as my Dobermans.

Absolutely not.

I also didn't feel guilty for importing a rescue dog, despite many people who tried to make me feel horrible about it. (How dare you rescue a dog from Mexico when there are local dogs you could have adopted! Bow to her, bow to your Queen of Slime...)

It's my money, my life, my decision. No sense feeling guilty for what works best for your situation. :)

Last edited:

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I can't emphasize enough how awesome it is buying a dog from a good, caring breeder is. The breeder I bought bear from & I are still friends, we still talk daily even though she doesn't actively breed anymore, I was ESP sad to hear about bear's mom's passing & with his daddy dead too his litter is the last of their linage :(.

I also rescue, & the fuzzy feeling I feel doing that comes from THAT dog I rescued not the fact THAT I rescued because to that one dog I made a difference to him, now HE can have a good life & will not die in a shelter

I have gotten some heat on Facebook because for nextdog I plan to purchase from a good breeder instead of rescuing ... But I have my reasons for doing so this time. I love rescuing but not knowing a puppy/dog's background makes it hard sometimes & this time I want to know where my rascal came from, how he was brought up & who his parents were.

I don't judge people for rescuing, & I don't judge those who buy from good breeders, we all have our reasons for doing both. But I do recommend rescue as an option when appropriate & I will steer folks away from bad breeders & pet stores. THEY are the ones who ad to the problem ... Not good breeders.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My reasoning was because the litter had dogs available, it was from a person who I felt VERY comfortable buying from, and....I dunno, I wanted one? Lol She is everything I expected and more <3

I don't honestly see myself ever getting dogs from breeders that I don't know personally/Internet. I just have a whole bunch of trust issues with breeders. And rescues, which is why I will only foster to adopt if I go the rescue route. Fortunately for me I don't plan on adding another dog for another 7+ years, so I'm not worrying about it right now.

I don't feel bad at all for choosing to buy Siri.

One issue that I have that may prevent rescue for me in the future is that I can't really get behind pediatric spay/neuter, which is becoming more and more common up here. I understand why rescues/shelters do it, but I really want to be able to make the decision about when/if myself, especially if I continue skijoring and scootering.

That decision is many years in the future, though. So who knows what will have changed by then.

Members online