Sierra got into

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Help! Sierra got into...

butter.

She ate probably half a pound or more of butter.

The worst part is I didn't even notice it was missing until I was trying to figure out why she was puking up fatty yellowish piles.

She's thrown up twice now, should I be worried? I know when I was a kid our Lab ate a full pound of butter and had no ill effects, but I'm being cautious.

She was only alone and uncrated for about half an hour today, just around 2pm (we'll say 3 1/2 hours ago) which must have been when she ate the butter, and her first puke was at about 4pm. Her second one was just a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Aaanyone?

She hasn't thrown up again, but she's done some dry heaving like she might be nauseous. She's down, but I don't know if I'd go so far as saying lethargic.

Brattina88

I haven't heard anything serious about butter... she's probably getting it out of her system on her own. Other than expect a loose caboose maybe I can't think of anything :p
I'd just keep a close eye on her and make sure she doesn't get dehydrated ;) Broth or ice cubes seem to help if they're not wanting to drink.

Toller_08

Oh no! Poor Sierra (and you). I wouldn't worry too much, though. She probably won't feel good for a bit, but no need to panic. I've known a couple of dogs that got into butter, and while they vomited as a result and got diarrhea, they never got seriously ill and were fine by the next day.

My parent's lab ate a pound of butter once too...um....if you can tie her outside I would highly recommend it...poor Lucky was spraying horizontally out her butt (sorry for the mental picture) and couldn't make it outside...we had to repaint the wall in the dining room, no joke :yikes: it's a good thing they had no carpets...she was fine in about 12 hours or so though...I put her in a box stall in my barn until she was over it...I did feel bad doing that, but the poor dog felt terrible about going in the house and honestly couldn't hold it. I felt too bad to tie her outside so she got her own stall, haha I had to clean the stupid stall about every hour...We did call our vet at the time and he said to just let her pass it, but to bring her in if she got lethargic, shaky or seemed confused or in excessive discomfort...our vet told us that we could give her about half of a human gravol pill, but we didn't have any on hand so we couldn't (my parents live way out in the country, 45 minutes to the nearest pharmacy)...

the broth trick works great, we used the home-made chicken broth ice-cubes to help keep Lucky hydrated...we always have them on hand for using in stir-fries instead of using oil, but they do take a while to freeze...I wouldn't use salted broth because it would hydrate her much slower....

bubbatd

Butter is one thing I have to put WAY out of Ollie's reach ! Luckily I know his grab and run and can retrieve it ! Rinse it off and still cook with it !

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Oh the joys of living in a third floor apartment... hopefully the diarrhea doesn't hit her SO badly :(

She's just been sleeping for a few hours. No more throwing up so far.

I don't have any gravol... but I have pepto pills. I wouldn't ordinarily give people meds but does anyone have any experience with those?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Pepto is fine for dogs.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the concentrated amount of fat possibly sparking a pancreatic attack. Otherwise, I'd just be on the lookout for pending diarrhea.

My old Pit Mix ate a pound of it when he was about 7 months old, and weighed about 50 pounds or so. I had forgotten about it when I had put away the groceries, and he took the box to his special place (under my bed) and ate the entire box, along with the wrappers on each stick. I realized it was missing, and found a hunk of the box so I knew it was him. About an hour later, he threw it up, and it was very colorful. He had a couple of oddly colored, loose stools, but it didn't even keep him from eating his next meal.

Dekka

Just try me..
Being a raw fed dog I assume she will be fine (vs a kibble fed dog used to a very low fat diet) she should have the intestinal flora/fauna to be able to handle what she didn't puke up.

My guys get all kinds of fat (um not quite that much and not butter) and they handle it fine.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
She seems back to her normal self this morning. She hasn't pooped yet, so no diarrhea as of yet either.

I fasted her last night, and will feed her a small breakfast this morning, just so her belly recovers slowly.

Staff online

Members online